Bicycle for Bafang 350W

Run

10 µW
I've a Bafang BBS01b 350w and now i must choose a bicycle for it. The bicycle will be used for driving 20 km per day on mainly asphalt, rarely gravel.

The bicycles i can choose between are:

• Hybrid. Aluminium frame. No suspension. V brakes. (I already own this)
    MTB. Aluminium frame. Front suspension. Disc brakes.

Which of theese bicycles should i choose? Or should i choose another? I'm buying localy or from bike-discount.

Thanks

Personally I would go with the MTB. The general beefiness of everything seems better for the extra weight and power and make it a little more care free, like you don't have to dodge every single pothole.

Most of the hybrid conversions I've ridden ended up feeling a little too delicate somehow, and the skinnier tires in gravel dig in a surprising large amount more with the weight. Plus it would leave you your pedal hybrid for regular riding if you have space for 2 bikes. :D

But either one is doable if kept slow enough and smooth enough, and you start with a quality bike.

Flat commuting choose the most comfortable, I hate the MTB position for street riding.

Mündawg said:
Personally i think the commuter with fatter tires would be more than fine for just a 350W. If you were doing the 1500W mid drive i would suggest the MTB.
tomjasz said:
Flat commuting choose the most comfortable, I hate the MTB position for street riding.

Why fatter tires? To handle the pressure that comes with the engine?

The bike only has v brakes. Is that enough brake power?

Yes, v brakes are fine. Its not the fast one.

The fatter tires will roll fine, with the motor helping. The more miles you ride electric, the more you will appreciate a big tire that does cushion the ride some, and performs better when you hit that patch of gravel or sand on the road. The more miles you ride, the more you will appreciate a really comfortable ride.

This is why my suggestion is neither bike. Or rather, the one you have until you get the new cruiser. Put 2" tires on your bike if you can.

Get a good cruiser bike with a 7 speed rear gearing. Something like the Electra Townie. If that is too much money, any brand 7 speed, but it must have the right type of bottom bracket and crank of course. Not so cheap it has the one piece crank.

BTW,, the townie does have a front shock. this does help with hand fatigue, less vibration of the bars as you ride.

Run said:
V Brakes will work fine.
Time to debunk the idea that disk brakes are vastly superior ... the fact is that they are different.
Read this article from Rodriguez Cycles http://www.rodbikes.com/articles/disco-fever/disco-fever.html
Disco Fever.jpg

With any BBSXX Bafang keep the chainring small and in a good line to the rear cog.

Related “trick” is to use a bike with rear cassette (not a screw-on freewheel) and rearrange the cogs for only 3-5 gears in a good line to the chainring.

Check my “rebuild” here - https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=235&start=1575#p1245871

Rim brakes work great (they're basically large disks, btw) if cleaned, lubed adjusted properly. If converting an old used/weathered bike buy new cables/pads and do a complete brake overhaul service.

Now if you’ve got rough roads or like to take shortcuts over grass/dirt (not MX) fat tires and "quality" FS (full suspension) will be greatly appreciated. But if smooth and flat is your terrain, go with whatever suits your fancy.

dogman dan said:
Yes, v brakes are fine. Its not the fast one.

The fatter tires will roll fine, with the motor helping. The more miles you ride electric, the more you will appreciate a big tire that does cushion the ride some, and performs better when you hit that patch of gravel or sand on the road. The more miles you ride, the more you will appreciate a really comfortable ride.

This is why my suggestion is neither bike. Or rather, the one you have until you get the new cruiser. Put 2" tires on your bike if you can.

Get a good cruiser bike with a 7 speed rear gearing. Something like the Electra Townie. If that is too much money, any brand 7 speed, but it must have the right type of bottom bracket and crank of course. Not so cheap it has the one piece crank.

BTW,, the townie does have a front shock. this does help with hand fatigue, less vibration of the bars as you ride.
LewTwo said:
Run said:
V Brakes will work fine.
Time to debunk the idea that disk brakes are vastly superior ... the fact is that they are different.
Read this article from Rodriguez Cycles http://www.rodbikes.com/articles/disco-fever/disco-fever.html
Ykick said:
With any BBSXX Bafang keep the chainring small and in a good line to the rear cog.

Related “trick” is to use a bike with rear cassette (not a screw-on freewheel) and rearrange the cogs for only 3-5 gears in a good line to the chainring.

Check my “rebuild” here - https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=235&start=1575#p1245871

Rim brakes work great (they're basically large disks, btw) if cleaned, lubed adjusted properly. If converting an old used/weathered bike buy new cables/pads and do a complete brake overhaul service.

Now if you’ve got rough roads or like to take shortcuts over grass/dirt (not MX) fat tires and "quality" FS (full suspension) will be greatly appreciated. But if smooth and flat is your terrain, go with whatever suits your fancy.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Now my desire to have disc brakes disappeared, i think my v-brakes will do just fine.

I'm going to use my Felt Verza Speed 40 with Soumi Tyres W240 at the beginning. If i feel that it's not enough, i will buy a MTB, i don't like cruisers.

I have two 350W BBS01's running for more than two years on KHS smoothies. They've dumbed them down a bit to lower the price but they're well under an electra and perfect as well as comfortable with the 350W.

The KHS Smoothies comes in 3 sizes. A real plus if you are over 6'.

Attachments

• smoothies.jpg
    smoothies.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 644
Run said:
Mündawg said:
Personally i think the commuter with fatter tires would be more than fine for just a 350W. If you were doing the 1500W mid drive i would suggest the MTB.
tomjasz said:

Why fatter tires? To handle the pressure that comes with the engine?

Since the commuter does not have suspension, fatter tires will smooth out the ride. No need for suspension with the lower speed of a 350W and flat terrain. But if you were choosing the 1500W version, you'd want some suspension to ease potholes at 25-35mph.

Mündawg said:
Since the commuter does not have suspension, fatter tires will smooth out the ride. No need for suspension with the lower speed of a 350W and flat terrain. But if you were choosing the 1500W version, you'd want some suspension to ease potholes at 25-35mph.

2.5" tires and Suntour NCX from German supplier$72 with extra spring delivered worked out well with the 01 AND HD. DOGhas a really messed up back. I'm a gimp but mostly bad legs and the upright position of a flat foot makes a huge difference for me, As usual, YMMV.

I'm very grateful for all the answers!

About the wheel. Normally i use Vittoria Zaffiro 700 x 32c tires. Is it 1,25 inches or do i think wrong?

Can i simply buy wider tyres and use them or do i need new wheels also?

Hey, use the bike that fits you best, and the tire you like. a 2" tire does tend to ride more comfortable, and less tendency to wash out on sandy corners. Where live, all corners are sandy. It's desert here. Rolling resistance stops mattering so much when you get the motor.

For me,, a cruiser fits me good. MTB's, unless expensive, tend to be sized small for me. I ride the hell out of MTB's, but in the dirt. Street, I choose a cruiser because the ride is a cruise. On the street, I want to sit up and watch for the next car trying to kill me. No crouching over the bars for me in the street.

I do have bikes with no motor. Those have light frames, and very skinny tires that pump to 90 pounds. Vintage road bikes.

To pedal, it's this.View attachment 1

To ride street, its this. The weight of it does not matter, with the motor to help. A schwinn cruiser longtail, 7-2015.jpg

Back