Bicycle recalls

wesnewell

100 GW
So much for those expensive bikes. :)
http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2015/Thirteen-Manufacturers-Distributors-Recall-Bicycles-with-Front-Disc-Brakes-to-Replace-Quick-Release-Lever/

All these years go by, and bicycles still are not resistant to people who are too stupid to attach their front wheels. Who knew?

Why do they fit the lever on the brake side when the wheel and forks are symmetrical?

There have been three incidents reported in which an open quick release lever on a bicycle’s front wheel hub came into contact with the bike's front disc brake assembly and caused the front wheel to come to a sudden stop or separate from the bicycle. In one incident, an adult male suffered a broken finger, a wrist injury, a shoulder injury and abrasions. No injuries were reported in the other two incidents.

3 incidents in 13 years with only one injured. The judge who ordered the recall must be the genitor of the genius with a broken finger.

MadRhino said:
There have been three incidents reported... In one incident, an adult male suffered a broken finger, a wrist injury, a shoulder injury and abrasions. No injuries were reported in the other two incidents.

3 incidents in 13 years with only one injured. The judge who ordered the recall must be the genitor of the genius with a broken finger.

More likely the company lawyers and marketing teams argued for it. A rash of nuisance lawsuits, and loss of buyer confidence would be expensive. But I do agree the QR lever should be closed when you ride. I'm even having a problem seeing how it could be left open. They don't pop open, so maybe somebody put the wheel on after repair and forgot?? It's not a problem without disc brakes, and seems like you just reverse the skewer to avoid the issue. Looks funny, but...

At any rate, I'm not fond of quick release. They make wheels too easy to steal unless a cable is looped through the wheels. Just a pet peeve, I know I'm in the minority. Look on the bright side, a lot of QR hubs will be on the market cheap soon.

QR is a nuisance unless you have the requirement of needing to frequently remove the wheels. A few times I've been riding offroad and found the lever had been popped open by contact with vegetation. That's with it closed hard (thumped with fist) against the fork leg. Axle nuts are simpler, lighter and don't come loose if properly tightened.

May I know why they need a minimum gap of "6mm" between the rotor and the open skewer? Normally, just not touching (1-2mm) is okay. Is that for extra safety?

It'll be to ensure that despite variations you don't get contact on any bike. It's a conservative design tolerance.

Back