• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

BIG BLOCK alternative Motor

riba2233 said:
You absolutely must program it, you shouldn't just connect it and run on defaults. You can tune your throttle response.

I figured that much, I just didn't have the right RS232 adapter but I found an old laptop that still has the 232 on it so that should work. I am going to work on that this weekend. I am surprised more haven't commented on the power this thing puts out. It spins the wide big knobby moto tire on take of on dirt. I was drifting it on dirt with ease. I guess I was expecting it to feel slightly under powered but was pleasantly surprised.

I programmed the Kelly this weekend and when doing so I disabled the "smoothing" setting. Wow, that really helped with the throttle response or lack thereof. Massive low-end torque now. Picks the front tire off the ground with ease when I set my weight back a little bit. Even with my 13/61 sprocket setup. I went on a longer ride and I was pleasantly surprised with the range of this 15AH/20S pack. I have 15 each 4s hardcase. There is an easy 25 miles of pure offroad riding in the pack. Probably 35 on road. I was going to put a 20AH/20S pack on but decided to start smaller and I am glad I did. It's got just the range I was looking for.

I am surprised more haven't commented on the power this thing puts out.
I second that motion. (and that's the same thing jackjetful has said too)
I guess evolutiongts was being quite literal with the name 'torque monster', but you have to feel it for yourself- and the current/voltage makes a big difference.

Glad you're up and running standfast!
Do you have a build up here? You can check mine out.

Can anyone suggest a good source of sprockets for this motor in say 415 or 420 sizing? The 8 tooth that's supplied could do with a few more teeth.

The ebay seller has updated the item. I think the higher power ranges were removed but it must still be the same motor. He also gives the option for a 14t t8f gear.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRUSHLESS-MID-AXIAL-MOTOR-48V-RATED-1000W-VAE-E-BIKE-QUAD-CAR-e-SCOOTER-/201301830521?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ede862b79

The shaft is an odd diameter- I had to buy the #35 I wanted off of amazon and slightly enlarge the inside dia to fit it same as evolutiongts and skeetab. Not sure what jackjetful or bzwind did.
A 1/2" id gear is slightly smaller than the small keyed part of the shaft, and .625 (5/8") is a the same for the large section of the motor shaft. The seller was no help in locating other sprockets that fit the shaft.

nutspecial said:
I am surprised more haven't commented on the power this thing puts out.
Glad you're up and running standfast!
Do you have a build up here? You can check mine out.

I actually already read yours over along with the other BHT based builds a few times looking for inspiration!

Here is my work in progress
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=60191&p=1054456#p1054456

You can see what I did to adapt a sprocket on there. I took the motor apart and turned the second shoulder of the shaft down to 5/8" and milled a 3/16" keyway to adapt #35 sprockets from McMaster. http://www.mcmaster.com/#2500t15/=xfogko
20150509_165155_resized_zpsjfivwt9b.jpg

Good idea to modify the motor shaft. 5/8 sprockets or very easy to find.
That reminds me people modifying GNG v1 to chain drive. You can run the motor and put a file on the shaft to grind down (Can't find the page though :( ) But cutting a keyway would be more difficult.

Torque monster is what this motor is.

Wheelies off the line.

Accelerating hard from a stop 24mph feels like your going 80mph for a few seconds. Your whole body is thrown backwards from the massive rush of torque as you hold on for dear life. My hub motor is tame by comparison.

bzhwindtalker said:
I've just ordered 5 of those so we should know quite soon :)

What motors did you order bud? And what price?

nice!! i want one!

hope it has higher kV. 60 rpm/V would be nice. Would match the 3000rpm @ 48V

I think it looked like 3300@ 72v according to the page. Why would that or 3krpm@ 48v be good though? (if you want power?) Hard to juice the volts and still do single reductions when you have to then do 1:7 or more.

I think it said 15kg weight, that must include the transmission.

If it is lighter than bht and 3300@ 72v, or say 2300@48, I could see bzh using it on the new pedal bikes. Good reliable balanced product is best for success.

Btw I'd like to know more about those new bikes. I've done a similar dual fw but with the bht @ 84v & 66/160amps geared for 40mph. :twisted:

I asked for 3000 rpm at 48v or about the 70kv we're used to with the standard gng motors. 50mm magnet stack. Crossbreak, I'll let you know when I have more info about delivery and taxes but I could probably get you one of those.

Not sure yet, we'll see how it goes with this first order!
About the dual freewheel rear hub, it is still in development, and designed for 170mm rear spacing frames like our frame or fat bike frames. There is no way to make this kind of setup work in a 135mm dropout frame unfortunately!

bzhwindtalker said:
Not sure yet, we'll see how it goes with this first order!
About the dual freewheel rear hub, it is still in development, and designed for 170mm rear spacing frames like our frame or fat bike frames. There is no way to make this kind of setup work in a 135mm dropout frame unfortunately!

Thanks. I can say the white HD fw is holding up nicely in my 142mm dual fw 7spd setup. But the maintenance and reliability are not at the desired levels with such a slim hacked setup. It might work a little better in 150mm d/o.

I am glad to see we are thinking the same about freewheeling whatever motor is parallel the bike gears.
I was guessing it makes a big difference in system power (human &battery) efficiency.

the next bike frame I'm modding will have much wider dropouts, so naturally I'm interested in possibly buying one of your hubs. A 12mm/135 DH style hub with the integrated sprag would be awesome to integrate the motor sprocket then a freehub for the bike gears. That should work out to 160-170mm. Getting a stronger hub setup and eliminated the HD fw. Just not sure how well the internal hub sprag holds up to high power.

I'd buy something like that though.
Again, kudo's on bikes and biz bzh.

Back