Big dog vs ebike. Dog won.

wesnewell

100 GW
Out for one of my daily exercise rides was going down the street about 10mph pedaling along when I see this huge white dog take off in a beeline for me around 50 yards away. Hit the throttle to try to get away. Dog turns right in front of me and I broadside him. Me and bike hit the concrete. Owners who were in front yard get the dog and ask if I want an ambulance. Don't think I broke anything. will test knee better in a couple of days. We do have a leash law for all it's worth. Stupid people override that though.
crash4.JPGcrash1.JPGcrash2.JPGcrash3.JPG

I thought this was going to be about an off road race between the darpa mit big dog and a high powered ebike. Sorry about your accident.

Just a reminder to everyone to watch out for dogs.This was a freak accident that shouldn't have happened had the people had control of their dog. I had just taken my windshield off before this ride.Can only image what might have happened to my face and neck had it still been on. BTW, just a few scrapes on the bike . Battery holder on one side gave way and bent, but nothing I couldn't straighten out. It came out of it better them me. Rode it home without incident.

Ouch!

Looks just like me from an accident I had with my dog. One of my dogs is this big pitbull/great-dane? mix, real big and fast and I was taking her out for a run with me on the skateboard. Well we were cruising along at a pretty decent clip and she decides to do this jump with a 180 twist to tell me how much fun she's having and I crash and burn. I was wearing shorts and a t shirt so I was walking funny with all those giant scabs on my knees and elbows.

Even little dogs (chihuahua sized) could cause a crash; people let them run loose all around where I live and ride, and I frequently have to speed up a lot in residential areas to make sure I pass them before they get under my wheels, becuase all of them chase everything that moves.

Sometimes I have to ride around their mushy slimy slick corpses, where cars didn't bother going around them.

Floont said:

How fast do dogs run at, anyway?

I had a mutt that could maintain 20mph for several miles and he could hold that speed up some fairly good hills. I've also had a dog that wouldn't run at all. :) :lol:

Damn, sorry to hear about that crash, looks like that hurt a lot.
Sucks when you can't avoid something like this and it comes down to things out of your control. I'm glad the crash was at slow speeds.

Ouch looks like pain to me. Lots of dogs love to chase bikers and owners have no control once they are loose. I had an owner stick his long walking stick out to herd his three dogs in as I passed. Dogs pushed against it and it wound up in my spokes so I stopped abruptly but unlike you I did not try to outrun them as I often do so was going slow enough to skid to a rather abrupt stop without much injury. Fifty bucks and several hours of werq later and my bike was near good as new. Good thing for you to post and remind us as the weather gets better people come out and so do their animals. Hope you heal quickly.

Big dumb dog. That must have sucked.

A fresh dog can do 35 mph if it's in shape. But not for too far. A really in shape dog can still do 20 for at least a mile. And 10 mph for 10 miles.

Too bad you didn't have time to turn and chase him, but that's generally done after you initially outrun the dog. Dog gets in range of my foot chasing me gets his ear kicked. But it sounds like he just came at you straight from the side. No chance to pop him one.

One of my pedal-only friends recently had a run down with a pit bull on his road bike. He fell and was hurt, but at least not mauled. Glad you are recovering and hope you feel better soon.
Perhaps spurs could be found useful. :twisted:

This is why I am considering wearing knee pads and possibly elbow pads when doing some of my more extreme biking. When I say extreme, I mean riding fast enough off-road to make it feel more like downhill biking. If any of you saw the crazy shit I do you would understand why I am more and more considering more protection.

I personally fell off my bike twice in a week, one time was when a curb that was wedged between two sidewalks came up so fast that I was forced to drive on the side of it but this caused me to fall off my bike and get thrown into a bush. Scrapped my knee a bit and it still hurts if I put force in the area.

I also flew off my bike when riding from dirt to concrete back to a dirt hill and somehow this caused me to fly right off my bike. Lucky it was on dirt so I slid on the dirt.

I think bike accidents are just a matter of time before they happen and are hard to avoid. Especially in bigger cities with lots of people around.

He came at me from the front. I can out run the ones that come from the side or back, except maybe a greyhound. Looked like he was going to come to my right side so I swerved left and the dumb dog turn right into my front wheel. Called the cops to get an accident report and they wouldn't even come out. Knee is really swollen today and can barely bend it. Sure hope it isn't broke. My wife broke her knee cap a couple of years ago and can still barely walk after over $20K in bills.

Ouch!!! Sorry you got hurt. :( :( :(

Don't let any of that get infected and do consider getting checked out by a doctor. My crash last August had a residual affect of leaving me with tendonitis in my left shoulder that has only begun to heal. Probably going to take a full year to get all my range of motion back.

I highly recommend getting checked out by a doctor and then asking the owners of the dog to pay the bill. I wish I had done that with the last cager that caused me to crash.

Get well soon buddy!!!

PS glad you bike is ok....

wesnewell said:
..... Called the cops to get an accident report and they wouldn't even come out.........

Around here if you call them for something they consider minor like bike hits dog, when you call them, you also have to say something like "I am so angry at the owners of the dog I may not be able to control my temper, please get a officer out here violence occurs."

The part about violence usually gets their attention, and a squad car comes fairly quickly.

Really sorry about your knee.... :(

I'm not going to claim that it always works, but I've personally never encountered a dog that wasn't held at bay by a water bottle with a sport type cap. That includes big, mean dogs. They seem to have an instinctual aversion to getting hit by a stream of liquid in the eye. Maybe it's got something to do with skunks... Anyway, if you carry one of those, with the cap open and ready to squirt, you can at least keep dogs from getting their teeth into you. Unless there are more than three of them - my personal record. ;-(

See a doctor, and if it costs much, a lawyer too. I thought you just had some amusing road rash. If you messed up that knee, the dog owners may have home owners insurance that can pay.

I'm just as vulnerable most of the time myself. I'll be wearing a helmet and shoes at most riding the street at less than 30 mph. T shirt and shorts won't protect me if I crash. Hard to say what the best approach would be if the dog is charging you from the front like that. Personally, being half dog myself, I'd likely stop if possible, then size up the dog to either make friends or kick his ass. Sounds like you never had time for either. Likely I'd have crashed too in the exact same situation.

Dumb dog. He'd be dead now if you were a car. I've lost a few that way myself. Sometimes every effort can't build a fence that keeps em in.

If you need to go to the station to report the situation. Just make sure there is a record, since what the dog owner did is against the law and they should be held accountable. Also get the knee looked at by medical professionals. This is not something to just "let slide bye"
otherDoc

I got chased couple years ago by a Pitbull.
I was on my Homebuilt bike Schwinn Protocol with a 36V/500Watt Yescom kit.
He sprinted after me & was looking for his chance to chomp down on my leg, I started kicking @ him a few times.
He chased me about 50 yards @ first but then into a busy 30 MPH road on a Saturday afternoon, I threaded him into the traffic & he broke off the chase in a couple blocks .
I wanted him to get hit & i'm a dog lover & owner. I went back to the area in my car looking for the owner, dog but found nothing which was probably a good thing. :evil:
I realized not to try to outrun a dog chase on an E-Bike { well unless you can do 30 MPH's or so }. I bought some " Halt " pepper spray & next time I'm ready & will put the bike between me & the dob & juice the wheel facing it towards the dog & yell something like " control your dog, owner control your dog.". I think it's more dangerous to get chased, most dogs are just reacting it's crazy you feel like an Impala on the African Plains when it happens :lol:

The fingers said:
At least be examined and get animal control snooping around, to prevent another occurrance. :wink:

It's not like the dog is going to consume your body. It's interest is in the chase and maybe a tease bite of your ankle or whatever if you're really being excellent prey to chase.

I do like the carnage pics though, IMHO, each time your body hits the pavement at speed, your life becomes a bit more enriched, and you gain a bit more life-improving character.

Back