Big Kick Stand

katou

10 kW
Title says it all, need some help.

I have a 25" Trek commuter that is getting a hub motor as soon as the battery is finished.

I would like to have it be capable of standing upright even in a fair breeze, or stand a little bump.

I haven't seen any that would do the job, especially for something so top-heavy. The one below is one of the only ones I've seen, and it for sure won't do the job.

3056575603_a32eba6f4c_o.jpg

Any ideas are welcome.

Katou

Will the above type not do the job due to clearance issues or strength issues?

If clearance issues then the pletscher esge might do the trick

lfpaty8826.jpg

1513.jpg

I own one. Mine had to be fitted via a custom adapter due to a rear suspension frame. They're not cheap, but you must expect that for swiss made product :wink:
http://store.comcycle-usa.com/Ebike...0900-Heavy-Duty-2-Leg-Double/ProductInfo.aspx

or there's this

COM-ACC-VO01-2.jpg

http://www.thebikebiz.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=COM-ACC-VO01

I have never been a fan of the clamp-on/bolt-down kickstands since I was a wee tot; they seem to loosen up and twist, then when you tighten them down they crush the frame.

Tranz-XAdjustableKickstand.jpg

The Tranz-X Adjustable Kickstand attaches to the rear of the frame near the axle. If you have a hardtail this is a dang good stand; it is adjustable and retracts out of the way. When touring I had the majority of the bike weight on the rear and this stand was in the optimum position to support it. In soft dirt I put a flat rock beneath the post. Granted this item would not work for a Full-Suspension bike where the rear frame is articulated. Note: I have mine adjusted for max height and tightened down so it doesn’t walk shorter; took me a few weeks to figure out why my bike kept laying over farther and farther – forgetting the post was adjustable. :roll:
I bought mine at REI for about $20 or so.

Enjoy, KF

If you're willing to entertain other options than normal kickstands, there is one that connects at the top of the seatpost and extends outward (folds up for storage about like an airpump) to the side to give top-heavy bikes a very stable stand. I cannot remember the name right now, though, but there was at least one thread about it around here someplace, from maybe a year ago?

Let's figure a 100 lb bike, perhaps with 30lb load (child, groceries, whatever)

being bumped by someone's hip.

If it was a motorcycle, no way it would fall. I know that the mass is the key, but that's not the point, I want that level of stability.

I considered a walking stick sort of thing that would attach to the seatpost, but how to tether the bottom so it doesn't slip out?

I considered a U-foot stand, and that is currently the winner.

Kind of like this:

bikestand.JPG

Katou

katou said:
Title says it all, need some help.

I have a 25" Trek commuter that is getting a hub motor as soon as the battery is finished.

I would like to have it be capable of standing upright even in a fair breeze, or stand a little bump.

I haven't seen any that would do the job, especially for something so top-heavy. The one below is one of the only ones I've seen, and it for sure won't do the job.

Any ideas are welcome.

Katou

hey Katou are you running a school bus :D :D :D because the first one you show with the ajustable feet is very strong and if you have enougth stability you can heat a little and pry it

or get a motorcycle or a gaz scooter stand :D :D :D

Back