Bionx controller options?

So, has anyone successfully added a different 36v battery to a Bionx i2c?
I've followed quasse's steps from his post of Sept 8, 2013 and applied the 36v battery voltage to the motor and 5vdc to the console using a 5v usb buck converter but nothing happens - the motor doesn't turn the wheel and the console doesn't come on.

I've interpreted his statement "solder the green and white wires together" to mean connect the green and white coming inside the battery mount to each other. Is this correct?

I recently bought this conversion ebike on the understanding that the battery is dead but the motor and console are good. How do I confirm this and troubleshoot this?

I'm kind of in over my head on this so I'd appreciate any help anyone can give.
Thanks in advance!
(I have photos but I'll have to downsize them first)

Trying to use 2x18v Ryobi cordless tool batteries to power Bionx 36v ebike.

Photo 1 - If you look closely, you may notice that for testing purposes I've made temporary Ryobi sockets out of toilet rolls and picture hooks with generous use of electrical tape. If I can get this thing working I'd eventually like to make a more permanent connection using sockets from broken or surplus Ryobi tools or chargers. Buck converter is used to produce 5v for the control circuit.

Photo 2 - Wiring of battery socket:
Heavy gauge Black and Red wires go to the batteries and power the motor
Light gauge black and pink/red go to 5vdc from the USB 5v output of the buck converter and power the console and control circuit.
Green and white are joined together to activate the control circuit - is this correct?
Brown wire and ground unused.

Does not work - why?
What am I missing?

Attachments

• buck.jpg
    buck.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 952
  • wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 952
Hi Laridae,

I haven't tried what you're trying to do, so I can't help much and take my words with lots of caution (recheck if they make sense!)
But:
1) Are you sure you have a IC2 and not a CanBus?
2) If it's the IC2, are you applying the battery voltage to the communicaton cable (pin 4, brown cable). Note that if it's a canbus, it's 12V (you need another buck converter).
3) You're applying 5V BETWEEN the black and red cables (red , pin 1sees the +5V, and black, pin 3 the ground) ?
4) If it's a IC2, yes you join together. If it's a Canbus it's different.

If you have success, please tell me, I'm very much interested in doing this.
Good luck.
Guelao

Back