BMC 1000 Watt axle shaft position within the Motor Housing

BVH

1 kW
Live and learn. My bike comes with a 9-speed freewheel. The properly installed wheel within the swingarm is a full 3/8" shifted to the riders left. It runs true - it's 3/8 shifted at the hub and 3/8" shifted at the edge of the wheel. I though that by downsizing to an 8-speed freewheel, it would shift perfectly to the right to center the wheel. After installing the new freewheel, I saw that nothing had changed. And now that makes sense seeing how the axle itself did not change. My question is...and without ever having seen the inside of any bike motor yet...Can the position of the motor assembly on the shaft be changed via opening everything up and carefully using a press to move it with proper case backup. I hope this makes sense?

EDIT: I just figured out that this will not work to fix my issue. The small freewheel sprocket is already as close to the swingarm as it can go. Can't move the motor without moving the sprockets. OK so what am I missing here? Why is my wheel shifted so far left? Geeze, I feel dumb! :cry:

I checked the amount of "dish" in the placement of the motor in the laced wheel. It's very close to center and if anything, if off maybe a 1/16" in the direction where it helps my problem.

The view from behind the bike reminds me of seeing cars go down the road that have had significant frame damage where the rear wheels are shifted one way or the other. It's bound to affect handing of the bike.

You can only dish the rim to align in it in the frame.

I don't believe any hub motors have repositionalbe axles. (happy to be corrected though!) All use screw on cassettes too.

The position of the spoke flange on the hubmotor and axle spacing are design charactericts of the hubmotor that you're stuck with, some work better in certain frames, others work better in others.

That makes sense now that I see your reply and have had time to think about it. Thank you!

Back