BMC v2 wheel spinning free.

I think it might be the gears or something that's slipping.
here is a video of it

[youtube]yspoPAdoJm0[/youtube]

New or used?

If it doesn't drive the wheel the clutch or gears are shot.

i saw it move in the video but not long since you can't run it without trashing the wires.

Is it a new problem on a once working bike or a new build?

Wired wrong it will drive backwards so the wheel will just sit under load but will drive backwards in the air.

Dan

Are you sure your hall/phase wires combo is correct? There is one combo that will make the motor spin backwards and so it never engages the clutch. I had the same thing happen to me when re-wiring my BMC V2 motor from a BMC controller to a Crystallyte controller. Just kept trying different wire combos until it worked.

The video is not very illustrative of the problem - the shaft isn't clamped to show the wheel 'not spinning' and parts are not moving 'normally'. Actually a little confusing.

That said - looking at the video, it appears the motor is turning backwards - so the clutch is disengaged.

In the video, we are looking at the drive side. The stator + shaft are turning counter-clockwise so the the rotor and sun gear are trying to turn clockwise. The planetaries reverse rotation direction again so the ring gear and wheel are trying to turn counter-clockwise. Backwards. (The shaft is turning only because it's not being held enough to overcome the minor clutch drag when disengaged.)

By your post, I'm guessing you bought this used from someone and just matched up the colors to wire it and test it out. Since the halls are likely in a fixed connector, they are fine but you have the phase wires wrong. Interchange any two phase wires (2 of the 3 fat ones) and the motor should (may) reverse.

However, as Sacman points out, since you don't really know how to wire this you will need to figure it out properly - you need to get the right combination (not a 'false positive' combination). Don't goose the throttle until you read some more and see what's up. You can search the forum for descriptions of the wiring search procedure to get this squared away (combinations of halls/phase wire connections) or see the "Known to Work Motor/Controller Diagrams" thread. Assuming this was running by the previous owner, don't muck with the halls - just try the 6 combinations of phase wires.

You seem to be twisting up the wires on the other side of the motor when you run it - not Good. Please assemble the motor and either put it in a stand or clamp the shaft in a vise before running it any more or you will be replacing the wire bundle. A major PITA for BMCs. Also - unlike other motors, BMCs have an oil seal in the side plate - deburr the axle shoulder, lightly grease the shaft, and be very careful putting the side plate back on or you will tear the seal.

EDIT- Here's one of John in CR's many posts on the subject. Do this.

I bought it new but I haven't run it in two years or so when I blew out the old controller. So IDK if I am wiring it right with the new controller
http://www.elifebike.com/peng/iview.asp?KeyID=dtpic-2012-8W-QNK2.073KQ

Alright thanks for the info guys. It does seem to be going backwards but when I mix match the blue and green it does this.
[youtube]8AqfxHGproQ[/youtube]

I will retake the bike wheel and repost the video.... It work fine when I test it pre solder. But now I am done with that it is acting weird.

Thanks for the information. Which wire would I miss with the reverse direction? the blue, yellow, and green?

I am using this controller.
http://www.elifebike.com/peng/iview.asp?KeyID=dtpic-2012-8W-QNK2.073KQ

Thanks again.

Okay I believe its call the phrase wires. When ever I change up the order I get.
[youtube]QCPx2oNh5SU[/youtube]

But if I keep the order the same. Green to green, blue to blue, and yellow to yellow I get.
[youtube]Tpu53gZ4JuU[/youtube]

I know they don't seem different but they sound different. I really do think the gears are slipping.
Any ideas on how to prevents this?

They yellow to yellow on both phase and halls and swap both blues and greens both sets. Do they with light throttle. There are some controller's that have trouble with some bmc hubs.

999zip999 I did do that and when I did this is what happens

[youtube]8AqfxHGproQ[/youtube]

It seems a lot worse. DO you or anyone knows of the specs of the BMC v2 model. With that I can make sure 100% the wires are matching up since I know the specs of the controller.

I figure out the problem was the wires.

It was Phase
Y -> Y
B -> G
G -> B

Halls
R -> R
BLACK -> BLACK
Y -> B
B -> y
G -> G

Thanks everybody