bmsbattery 600w amp meter mod

izeman

1 GW
i bought this 600w charger from bmsbattery some time ago. adjusted to charge my 12s lipo battery it worked w/o any problems.
for the new bike i need it set to 24s life or 86.4v and want to monitor the charging process. unfortunately the wattmeter works up to 60v only, and there is not cheap replacement for that. so i ordered a 50a amp meter and and volt meter. there are some displays that can do both, but you have to press a button to switch between V and A, and i want to monitor both at the same time.

so this is the amp meter:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290534785468
and this is the volt meter:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221109778090#ht_2080wt_1271

the amp meter has blue digits and the volt meter red ones. both will fit into the charger's case. i could have put both of them in a seperate case, but it like it clean.

this is the charger:

1%20kingpin%20600w%20charger.jpg

charger opened - only top side:

2%20charger%20opened.jpg

this is the amp meter w/ shunt:

3%20amp%20meter%20with%20shunt.jpg

logic board, and 12V and GND pads:

4%20logic%20board.jpg

amp meter connected to power:

5%20amp%20meter%20powered%20on.jpg

negative charging cable cut to insert shunt:

6%20negative%20lead%20cut.jpg

i sanded the shunt to ensure a good soldering pad, and used a propane torch to heat it up so i could solder the cables to it:

7%20shunt%20sanded.jpg

shunt connected:

8%20shunt%20connected.jpg

done. and working :)

9%20done.jpg

this is the wattmeter for comparison. values are a bit off, but i can't say which one is the correct one before measuring with my hq voltmeter.

10%20comparison%20wattmeter.jpg

the voltmeter will be installed next week and then 2 holes will be cut into the case to install both of them.
enjoy :) if there are any comments please let me know

BMS battery does not sell the Kingpan charger. (not kingpin.)

they sell a charger made by EMC which is connected to BMS battery in some way. that is what you have. it is similar but not the same as the kingpan.

you don't have to use the ground on the board for the power since the shunt itself will be a ground. i cannot make out where you have located the 12V for power but people should be able to find spots by following the trace that comes off the voltage regulator.

how will you suspend it inside the charger case? if it contacts the choke or touches other high voltage it will make a mess.

does it require such a large shunt? i guess that one comes with the meter. could you use the shunt on the pcb instead? solder your kelvin leads to the pcb where the shunt is mounted in the board?

sure. it's not kingpan. as infineon controllers are not infineon. tell me what you would call them. bmsbattery chargers?

the shunt is covered in a heat shrink tube and will be installed in a way it can't move. for the display and it's board there is more then enough room.

as far as the 12v goes: i don't know if this is the correct place to take them. but i'm quite confident when following traces on the board. on the other hand this is only mA, should not be a big deal!?

dnmun said:
does it require such a large shunt? i guess that one comes with the meter. could you use the shunt on the pcb instead? solder your kelvin leads to the pcb where the shunt is mounted in the board?
yes, the shunt is enormous :) no idea why. i could use the board's shunt, but it's a 75mV one. no idea what is installed in the charger, and if/who i can adjust the meter to this shunt. there are some microswitches, but no manual included which describes what they do.

EMC makes the chargers for BMS Battery.

the 12V regulator will have no problem supplying the current for the meter. you know you do not have to use a big wire to connect the red meter lead to the high voltage you are measuring and the current on the high voltage does not have to flow through the meter.

Back