Breezer 3spd - good conversion candidate? - newbie

benend

100 mW
It's that time of year again, when I start thinking about eBiking to work. I like the non-derailleur mult-gear bikes for aesthetic simplicity, and if it's going to be an ebike, it really doesn't matter all that much.

From what I've read though, it seems like a better method for building is to pick a kit first, then buy a bike to fit it, rather than the other way 'round.

With that in mind, I'm thinking about the "36V 500W Direct Drive Ebike Kit" for a kit:

http://www.emissions-free.com/catalog/i14.html

I've read here that many people like cell_man.

And something like a Breezer 3 speed:

http://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes/details/downtown_3

Front wheel drive - again for simplicity - and to be able to use the gears in the rear.

Then I'd need to find a battery locally - probably lithium - any recommendations for that?

What do you guys think? Would that be enough to get me started?

My commute is 15mi round trip, uphill one way. I'm 185lbs and don't mind pedaling some - just don't want to sweat in my business casuals.

Any and all recommendations are appreciated. I'd prefer to overthink it before committing $1000 -or more- to a project.

Thanks!

You picked a good motor to start, though more details about your comute will help, such as hills, frequent stops, any large angry dogs you have to routinely outrun, ect.

I'd sugest a 48 volt battery with that kit, one from Cell_man to simplyfy shipping and any tech support you'll need later. (he sells 52volt batteries, but same thing)

As for the bike.... You can't attach a normal hub motor to the rear of a 3 speed bike. they are 120mm dropouts and a standard rear hub motor is 135mm. So you're stuck with a front motor as the only choice. Thats only a good choice if the fork is steel, but I didn't see it listed as steel.

I'd look around at other bikes too.

I see nothing wrong with that. Just make sure you are getting a rim size that matches the bike. Get ahold of at least one torque arm too.

Back