brushed controller with regen?

whatever

100 kW
Are there any el-cheapo brushed controllers with regen out there? 24v 20-30amps, mobility scooter rebuild without eletric brake which wastes energy

There’s one or two for US$100 or thereabouts on aliexpress if you want active regen.

But you don’t need it on a mobility scooter. They’re geared for 10km/h, from which there’s bugger all energy to recover, and any time the speed exceeds this (downhill) the motor feeds power back to the battery by default.

Glennb, you're spot on. Mobility scooters use regen. Sounds like you work in the industry. In fact, if you look at the owners manual, under trouble shooting fault codes, code 3 is battery over charge, caused by, say driving down a long hill with the batts already fully charged. Regen overcharge.
Whatever, the electric brake is VITAL! It's a park brake only & engages only after the scooter stops. It doesn't slow it down. Without it, the scooter won't hold on a hill. Very dangerous!

AussieRider

Hey AussieRider. I’m no expert on them. I’ve just played around with them by necessity, as a way to skirt around legal restrictions.

I have to cart a mentally disabled person to the swimming pool everyday.

Tandem bike didn’t work. Passenger couldn’t get the hang of it.

Golf cart was pretty good, but still ran foul of the rules because it can only be used on the road for the purposes of travelling to/from golf within a 2km range.

Mobility scooter with a trailer for the passenger was too slow, and the footpath too bumpy.

Anyway, that’s all in the past, because stand up scooters have now been legalised, so I’ll build a tandem one. The vehicle has to compliant, or massive fines for unregistered vehicle apply. However, the fines for sitting down, and for taking a passenger are acceptable - five or six hundred bucks isn’t chicken feed, but I’ll take the chance.

P.s. it’s possible to legally tow a trailer behind a stand-up scooter, but I’ve been unable to come up with a design I’m happy with. For regular towing, no problem, but it’s trickier for a person trailer because the weight needs to so low, and incorporate suspension.

thanks for replies, el-cheapo for me would be the $20 to $30 range, this mobility scooter is called shoprider, made back in about 1999 or so, its probably a fairly early version but the controller is very well made, trying to repair it but no luck as yet. Was thinking of going with a new controller with regen brake.
One of the issues with the vehicle is the electric brake gets hot ( probably a short in the windings somewhere is my guess), on this model the brake is in the 'on' position by default, when the throttle is used the brake relaases, the brake uses about 1/2 amp in released mode.
Not alot but still a waste. Have decided if I cant get it running with old controller will try a 48volt controller just for fun.
It was bought from local recycle centre for $50 for the scooter which was not running.
It had new batteries so I didn't loose on the deal. If I get the old controller repaired and electric brake repaired I will give it to an elderly relative to use,
Otherwise it will just be an overvolted drive it till it breaks machine on 48v.
Interestingly the original controller is made in the UK the vehicle made in Taiwan, company who made the controller called
Penny and Giles Drive Technologies, Christchurch, Dorset UK. Its really a piece of work I think I might do a thread on the repair attempts its pretty interesting project.

Back