Brushless dual 6kw ALIEN Power system - electric longboard

bboards said:
I'm using lifepo4 2 x 5s in series http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14071__ZIPPY_Flightmax_4200mAh_5S1P_30C_LiFePo4_Pack.html

It's dangerous enough what we do so I thought I would reduce my risks, not as fast as what lipo would be (33V v's 37V) but I'm happy with the trade off.

Weight isn't that major when compared to the lipo version http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8589__ZIPPY_Flightmax_5000mAh_5S1P_30C.html

I think I may do the same. I have Zippy Compact 8s 5000mah 25C for the 2x2000W motor set up from Alien, but finding the equivalent in LifePo4 has not been easy. Any suggestion on a serial combination available from Hobby King to give me the same power or a little less.?

It's dangerous enough what we do so I thought I would reduce my risks

I'm sorry but there's nothing cooler than being seen flying down a hill on a flaming board - you are just lowering your potential for cool ;)

Note that changing ur baseplate angle would change the angle of the motor mounting plate.

Yeah, I designed my Caliber mount with the intent of it being adjustable. As well as allowing to adjust for wedges it also allows the plate to be flipped to run the motor outboard rather than inboard if that's your thing. Also means you can still run two bit motors on the same truck - one inboard and one outboard for a full rear wheel drive.

brunotollot said:
Hi guys, just a quick post from italy. I'm on holiday until the 29th. I just needed a break. First i would like to say thanks for the kind post. Me and Richard are working very hard on this project, and like he already say, we have to find time between family, work, lots of emails to reply etc. I'm also building my website and doing some other Alien product for EV and RC ( new throttle interface, hall sensors PCB, outrunner cooling system etc ) . I'm working with different companies for new products and different people for some RC record.

With Richard we are working to give a complete kit ( electronics and mechanical ) to give to our customers an easy plug and play system. the kit will be more compatible with different kinds of board. Also the new electronics kit will be available in a box enclosure, ready to be fit on your board, with switch, without having to worry about sparks, plug, connectors. Also will be available a direct plug for charge the batteries, without disconnecting them always. The only wire you will see, will be the motor\s connectors.
Also available will be New firmware for a better sync, and 15% more torque on startup, expecially designed for mountain board. Everything to give to our customer a very good and reliable system at a friendly price. I dont think its fair that those who love this hobby need to pay 1500$ for an E board so, a friendly kit is our goal. Then the customer can choose from the different levels of power available and consequently choose how much to spend. Also the nunchuck style controller is ready. I'm just waiting to come back and do some test with Richard. It is programmable, but this functionality will not be available for safety reasons. It is factory programmed with fail safe, brake delay (ms) and throttle delay(ms).

Any suggestions are welcome.

This is great news, more torque!

I love the buying a whole electrical package idea, If that was available when I started my build, i would of been your first customer!

the charging without disconnecting, is a fantastic idea, I will have to pick your brains on how to do that with my set up Bruno. ( when you get back from Italy obviously )

The fact Bruno offers Firmware updates and fantastic post purchase customer care make me so happy I asked him to supply all my electrics, my next board or bike will also be built through ALIEN.

The cheap HK 150A ESC needs a kick to take off ... from a standing start you get horrible cogging. Does the Alien ESC do this too or can it take off smoothly from stopped with all the riders weight and no assistance?

I rode Evolve electric board before I built mine and it does this and is silky smooth. It's a brushless system too so I know it's possible. In fact if anyone wants a fully built board I could not recommend them more highly but I guess if you're here on ES (endless-sphere not evolve skateboards - lol) that's not your style... but it is a beautifully carving, longe range, high speed, light weight piece of kit.

Anyway, the first push to ride doesn't really bother me but I was just wondering if there's an option out there to have a take off as smooth as the Evolve?

It's all so senseless!

My understanding is that a good sensorless controller CAN start a motor smoothly.

Perhaps this is another place where open source would be advantageous.

Is source available for the Alien controllers?

I used the hk150 amp for a little while on my emt board. Horrible cogging. Since those burned up using them in my RC cars I had to buy new ESC's. I bought a Hobbywing 150a and it is much better on starting and smoother on the throttle control. The ESC has a lot to do with it. I have tried an airplane ESC and the Hobbywing on a dual motor setup. It is crazy the difference. The airplane ESC turns the motor much faster, but there is again minimal throttle control. It is almost all or nothing.

Going back to Trucks, found a chart:

TruckChart4.png

Also I would like to thank Bruno and Richard for putting together such an awesome kit and for putting up with our stupid electrical questions. The product is very impressive but the after sales support is second to none. Cant wait to see what else is in the pipeline.

dirkdiggler said:
I used the hk150 amp for a little while on my emt board. Horrible cogging. Since those burned up using them in my RC cars I had to buy new ESC's. I bought a Hobbywing 150a and it is much better on starting and smoother on the throttle control. The ESC has a lot to do with it. I have tried an airplane ESC and the Hobbywing on a dual motor setup. It is crazy the difference. The airplane ESC turns the motor much faster, but there is again minimal throttle control. It is almost all or nothing.

A fair number of the Hobbyking ESCs are based on the Atmega 8 processor which people have been successfully re-flashing with new software for various purposes. You end up with the source code with all kinds of options you can select or even hack if you don't like the way they work. That may be the best way to get a smooth running motor with good brakes ...

Lots of reports of more power, speed, control and smoother operation.

Looks like you may be able to program a plane ESC to have brakes too. Still looking into that.

hillzofvalp said:
do you know where the source code is hosted?

https://github.com/sim-/tgy

Lots of references to be found by googling 'SimonK ESC'. Mostly for multicopters. But the code looks like it has everything. And the braking is supposed to work. With source code it can probably be made to work just the way you desire ...

hillzofvalp said:
Is it possible to build an electric longboard and do 20mph for under $300 not including the longboard?

If the board already had Abec11 wheels on it as required by the Alien mounting kit then yes - pretty close. My total cost was under $600 of which $265 was for my new board with Abec11 wheels so $335 covered the rest and I live in Australia where we are ripped off for postage.

rf said:
dirkdiggler said:

A fair number of the Hobbyking ESCs are based on the Atmega 8 processor which people have been successfully re-flashing with new software for various purposes. You end up with the source code with all kinds of options you can select or even hack if you don't like the way they work. That may be the best way to get a smooth running motor with good brakes ...

Lots of reports of more power, speed, control and smoother operation.

Looks like you may be able to program a plane ESC to have brakes too. Still looking into that.

Had this discussion earlier with one of my copter hacker friends and the 150A car ESC seems to be a noticeably different and none of what was available was useful. That said the HK150A seems to be a ripoff of the Hobbywing 150 but how close a ripoff is yet to be determined.

Some of the ESCs supported ...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhR02IDNb7_MdEhfVjk3MkRHVzhKdjU1YzdBQkZZRlE#gid=0

New on this board and was referred here from RC group forum. I apologize for the long list of questions.
Long story short, I had a group project and we attempted to build an electric skateboard. It didn't succeed, but I won't go into the details.
Anywho, I made a chart of 40 or so prospective motors comparing a bunch of different stats.

1.)This might be a dumb question, but how do you get to 40mph using 83mm wheels, a 2.133 pulley ratio, 170KV motor and 10s batteries?
My calculation shows that at a max 37v, you get 28.65mph tops.

2.)Why use HTD belts instead of GT2?

Also, I'd like to point out that I've been bitten by the e-skateboard bug.
I WANT one. Alien Power site shows the current setup weighing 20+ lbs.
3.) What changes can I make to drop the total board weight to something closer to 15lbs?
I want something really portable like Boosted Boards.

4.) How does this motor compare with the one from Alien? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__25614__F3A_SK3_Competition_Series_28_Pole_Outrunner.html

5.)What issue is Bruno having with the Wii Nunchuk?
There are Arduino and Chipkit libraries already written for it. If code were written from scratch it might be even possible to fit everything onto an ATTiny as the Nunchuk uses I2C.
Pair that up with a XBee and you're good to go, though TBH the XBee is way overkill.
Something like these: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10534 & https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10532 could work just fine.

Edit: Just noticed Bruno has the Nunchuk working now.

BBoards-
Looking good- is that an Earthwing carbon belly racer deck? how do you find the flex- not too much?

Yelnat-
The only way to drop any weight would be a single drive and smaller batteries.. as with most EV. Thats exactly what boosted have done -hence the 6miles range..its a trade off weight/range..
I did the same calcs and came out with the same answer- i was just as surprised by the results!!- i can only assume its because were using 2 motors ?????
Please Enlighten me- what advantage do GT2 belts have? i picked the HTD just because it was readily available to me..
We main issue we had was reliability..it has to be rock solid like a 2.4GHz Rc handset- and it wasn't..
We have the new custom Nunchuck in hand now though and as Bruno says and we just need to test them..
hope this answers

beetbocks said:
BBoards-
Looking good- is that an Earthwing carbon belly racer deck? how do you find the flex- not too much?

Yelnat-
The only way to drop any weight would be a single drive and smaller batteries.. as with most EV. Thats exactly what boosted have done -hence the 6miles range..its a trade off weight/range..
I did the same calcs and came out with the same answer- i was just as surprised by the results!!- i can only assume its because were using 2 motors ?????
Please Enlighten me- what advantage do GT2 belts have? i picked the HTD just because it was readily available to me..
We main issue we had was reliability..it has to be rock solid like a 2.4GHz Rc handset- and it wasn't..
We have the new custom Nunchuck in hand now though and as Bruno says and we just need to test them..
hope this answers

Thanks for the super quick answers! I was not expecting them so quickly.
GT2 are supposedly an improvement on the HTD. Here a couple links that compares the two: http://www.bbman.com/products/gates-timing-belt-pulleys.html & http://www.sdp-si.com/D265/PDF/D265T008.pdf
They allow for more torque before slippage, and more precision. It's not really necessary for these power figures, but I was just wondering if it was intentional and maybe I had missed something in my research.
I'm really excited about these kits!

Back