Brushless dual 6kw ALIEN Power system - electric longboard

@simonjook - What are you going to use for the actual controller? are you going to remove the internals from a GT2b controller? What would be awesome was if we knew exactly what kind of processor boards we could use to create our own controller and make them even smaller. A controller running on smaller batteries. It must be possible if altered skateboard, evolve, boostedboards etc are making controller with electronic boards.

I'd like for a controller to fit in my back pocket. Rather then having to put my bigger controller in a backpack.

@beets - When are you selling your controller and will you sell to the US?

torquboards, yes I will be using the controller as is and then repackaged if I think I can do it better. I did this with the GT2 (not b) but at some point I made a mess of the antenna. Going bluetooth and arduino for transmit and receive does deliver the sizes you are talking about but my attempts at such a controller need more work and that's shelved for a while .. I'll post the link to where I started when I work out where it is. I think I was just have a problem with keeping a BT connection - it seemed awfully prone to interference.

simonjook said:
torquboards, yes I will be using the controller as is and then repackaged if I think I can do it better. I did this with the GT2 (not b) but at some point I made a mess of the antenna. Going bluetooth and arduino for transmit and receive does deliver the sizes you are talking about but my attempts at such a controller need more work and that's shelved for a while .. I'll post the link to where I started when I work out where it is. I think I was just have a problem with keeping a BT connection - it seemed awfully prone to interference.
Glad to hear someone else is/was chasing a Bluetooth hand-controller too. Still waiting on a few parts for mine.

About antennas ... I think Exkate had it right. My old Exkate board has a strip of 3-inch wide aluminum tape running most of the length of the board -- beginning after the motor (to leave the noise behind.) They connected the receiver antenna wire to it with a screw and a washer. And there's a similar inductor inside the handle of the controller, thus making the rider an integral conduit for the signal connection between transmitter and receiver. We only need/want the signal to travel a few feet -- rejecting all external signals. And it only needs to work when the rider is aboard. You don't even need good connections to these inductor antennas -- just run the original antennas near them and they'll overwhelm everything else.

So we don't really need antenna's at all. Just run the signal to the rider's big feet and let him/her conduct it to the hand-unit through their body. It's going to happen anyway. It's just a matter of taking best advantage of it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-x-50-yard-flame-retardant-aluminum-foil-tape-96372.html

I want a Bluetooth hand-controller because I want feedback. Minimally, I want to display a battery fuel gauge showing how much power I have left. I keep imagining displays mounted on the board -- and then covering them up with my feet. Or having to look down to see them. I almost never look at my board while I'm riding -- it's just not convenient. And board mounted displays would tend to be so vulnerable to damage.

A small display on top of the tiny hand controller seems much better.

Unlike the other control units we've been using, R/C, Wiichuck, etc., Bluetooth is bi-directional. It supports sending data back to the hand-controller. It supports continuous feedback to insure proper steps are taken when the connection is lost.

My apologies it's taking so long to get this started. I will work harder to make time and find the parts to make this happen.

Besides the fuel gauge, the other big thing I keep wanting is a speedometer, odometer, tripmeter and log. Okay, that's four things. Once you have the first one the others are easy. I have cheap Hall-sensors to make it possible to count rotations of a tiny wheel-mounted magnet -- like a bicycle speedometer. The Arduino can accurately convert those pulses to speed in it's sleep. (Of course, a better ESC could give us motor RPM very easily. Soon ...)

I still don't know if I'm going to sacrifice a $20 GT2 R/C transmitter just for it's trigger and pot. The GT2 does it's job so well I hate to gut it. But I do have another on order. I notice that the Evolve hand-controller and the Exkate both appear to have the exact same trigger. My Exkate hand-controller always worked well. I'm tempted to retask it for my current board, but that's not very repeatable for others. I keep looking for the source of those trigger/pot mechanisms online, but keep coming up empty. Where do they buy them from?

Between these guys and all the R/C controller makers there's got to be a source of good trigger-pots somewhere. Perhaps I haven't conjured the correct incantation to the google-gods yet. :-|

I notice that the Evolve hand-controller and the Exkate both appear to have the exact same trigger.

Maybe a coincidence or maybe a copy. I have a Fiik controller for my old Big Foot board if you want any comparative info though it's likely to be sold this Tuesday so you might need to be quick.

My Exkate hand-controller always worked well. I'm tempted to retask it for my current board, but that's not very repeatable for others. I keep looking for the source of those trigger/pot mechanisms online, but keep coming up empty. Where do they buy them from?

Where in the world are you? I was going the copy the mechanism of the GT2 so I can 3D print them. I can run you off a print and mail you one. Give me a PM with your details if you're interested. It will be about 2 weeks before I get around to it probably but maybe sooner if I start procrastinating on the work I'm supposed to be doing. If you would like some kind of mod to the trigger (like Evolve/Exkate) let me know too. Be specific if it's not something obvious from piccies on the web cos prior to the belief of some I don't have access to one (unless I fly 1300kms)

Yeah, why don't we just make a 3D printed trigger? Would make more sense? Is there some electronic processor board we can use/program to use as a controller and add features. I know all the other boards Fik, Evolve, etc all have smaller controllers and they didn't need to break down a RC controller to use theres. I personally don't have the time or knowledge to figure it out but would be nice to have an option to buy a controller. I'm ready to buy one :).

It's such a hassle with my huge controller. I have to put it in my backpack everytime I walk in somewhere. Would be nice to put it in my back pocket. Would make our DIY Electric Longboards more "production like" with the custom remote controllers instead of the huge RC controllers.

Yeah. I feel the same way but I've also tried a few hacked together controllers and the problem is when they aren't reliable, you lose skin! (I really hate the first test rides now) But I'm sure one or many of us can find something that delivers on what we want. The factory boards use integrated controllers with a simple single channel transmitter which includes a throttle rate switch or setting to give the beginner/inter/advanced setting that someone raised previously.

Does this kit support regen? E.g. if you push the skateboard only with your feet, which causes to spin the motor, will it charge the batteries?

rf said:
I want a Bluetooth hand-controller because I want feedback. Minimally, I want to display a battery fuel gauge showing how much power I have left. I keep imagining displays mounted on the board -- and then covering them up with my feet. Or having to look down to see them. I almost never look at my board while I'm riding -- it's just not convenient. And board mounted displays would tend to be so vulnerable to damage.

A small display on top of the tiny hand controller seems much better.

Unlike the other control units we've been using, R/C, Wiichuck, etc., Bluetooth is bi-directional. It supports sending data back to the hand-controller. It supports continuous feedback to insure proper steps are taken when the connection is lost.

My apologies it's taking so long to get this started. I will work harder to make time and find the parts to make this happen.

Besides the fuel gauge, the other big thing I keep wanting is a speedometer, odometer, tripmeter and log. Okay, that's four things. Once you have the first one the others are easy. I have cheap Hall-sensors to make it possible to count rotations of a tiny wheel-mounted magnet -- like a bicycle speedometer. The Arduino can accurately convert those pulses to speed in it's sleep. (Of course, a better ESC could give us motor RPM very easily. Soon ...)

I still don't know if I'm going to sacrifice a $20 GT2 R/C transmitter just for it's trigger and pot. The GT2 does it's job so well I hate to gut it. But I do have another on order. I notice that the Evolve hand-controller and the Exkate both appear to have the exact same trigger. My Exkate hand-controller always worked well. I'm tempted to retask it for my current board, but that's not very repeatable for others. I keep looking for the source of those trigger/pot mechanisms online, but keep coming up empty. Where do they buy them from?

Between these guys and all the R/C controller makers there's got to be a source of good trigger-pots somewhere. Perhaps I haven't conjured the correct incantation to the google-gods yet. :-|

Here is the trigger I got, buy a $2 pot works grate with a femtoduino
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170889856508?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

With this I have a grate remote with a $4 2.4ghz rf, about $60 but it's small

Also two bluetooth bee standalone's work well $19 each and you have two way bluetooth connection, there is enough inputs and out puts for controlling the pot and servo and for an fuel gage, boosted use one of these and a bee regulator, I suck at programming arduino's so I require help, lol

Byte said:
Does this kit support regen? E.g. if you push the skateboard only with your feet, which causes to spin the motor, will it charge the batteries?
Yes the alien ESC supports regen..

Lol, but you certainly wouldn't want to charge up that way(regen) if that's what your thinking.

Was thinking I might do a trigger design that offers both the regular trigger and thumb trigger like Boosted in the one mechanism. Does that appeal to anyone or is the thumb control fad over?

jacobbloy said:
Here is the trigger I got, buy a $2 pot works great with a femtoduino
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170889856508?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

With this I have a great remote with a $4 2.4ghz rf, about $60 but it's small
Thanks for the info. After paying for shipping from Australia I may be better off canibalizing GT2s. :-(
At least now I know the parts are available somewhere. Maybe I can get one of the US suppliers to order them ...

Also two bluetooth bee standalone's work well $19 each and you have two way bluetooth connection, there is enough inputs and out puts for controlling the pot and servo and for an fuel gage, boosted use one of these and a bee regulator, I suck at programming arduino's so I require help, lol
The Xbee stuff is over priced. Others are less than half as much on Ebay. You can do a whole world of cool things with an Arduino once you get started, for very cheap.

simonjook said:
Lol, but you certainly wouldn't want to charge up that way(regen) if that's what your thinking.
Yep, regen on a skateboard isn't very useful.
Was thinking I might do a trigger design that offers both the regular trigger and thumb trigger like Boosted in the one mechanism. Does that appeal to anyone or is the thumb control fad over?
I was thinking the Boosted approach might be nice to try. But you really have to have one to play with to know.
More travel is a good thing. The thumb can't move as far as your finger, so the finger trigger wins out in my estimation. The R/C controller with finger trigger has the most travel of anything I've tried so far, and it's the best. But I think we can do better.

Yeah, regen supposedly doesn't really do a whole lot of charging. The main thing I've heard regen does is stop the motors from heating up as fast. So regen still has a purpose if that is correct.

I think a finger trigger is fine. If you can get it to where a finger trigger is 0-10mph and 10+ is with thumb finger + trigger that works too. Although, I think I would prefer a simple trigger finger remote.

Hi guys. First of all thanks to everyone for the great support. Richard and I are very grateful for that. It means that we are able to improve everything.
Also sorry sometimes for the late replies, but replying to all the mail and sending out all the orders take times.

We are working on the new products now. The new dual 3KW system is just amazing, words cannot explain.
Richard will post a video test soon.
We are also working on a sensored system,the ESC is already done and tested with some inrunner motors.
One of my supplier is making a sensored outrunner with internal PCB and SMD hall effect sensors. This for the all the requests I have had for perfect start and brake. Also the new program software is ready with the start power function. You can choose in % the power you want on the start. Very helpful...

20130902_135751 (FILEminimizer).jpg

I've been using a PS3 Move Navigation controller for a week now. It is fantastic, I like it a lot more than the nunchuck.

The form factor is comfortable to use. The analog joy (an analog button is available too) is very smooth with the right settings in arduino and on the ESC. The signal has not dropped out on me, even in noisy RF environments (DT Honolulu, near airport, or Waikiki). Bonus, having lots of pseudo channels and enough buttons for lights (head, tail, running, and/or turn for example) and running profiles (top speed settings (for people who may be on your board other than you) and using both motors or just one if you have two motors available.

@freqjn

Do you have some more info about how you connected the PS3 move Navigiaion controller to the arduino?
And what code you have programmed into your arduino?

I'm using a USB Host Shield 2.0 from: http://www.circuitsathome.com/products-page/arduino-shields/usb-host-shield-2-0-for-arduino. I will be minimizing from the Uno and the USB Host in the near future.

I started with the USB Host library: https://github.com/felis/USB_Host_Shield_2.0 and http://barrettsprojects.wordpress.com/2013/01/13/driving-an-rc-car-with-a-ps3-controller/.

Here is my work in progress. It is throttle only at this time. I'm coding an activation sequence next, before adding lights. You will have to clean up the code yourself, but throttle is functional. I want the throttle settings just right before coding add-ons. Caveat: reverse cuts out at max, forward is beautiful.

#include <PS3BT.h>
#include <Servo.h>

USB Usb;
BTD Btd(&Usb); // You have to create the Bluetooth Dongle instance like so
/* You can create the instance of the class in two ways */
PS3BT PS3(&Btd); // This will just create the instance
//PS3BT PS3(&Btd,0x00,0x1F,0x81,0x00,0x08,0x30); // This will also store the bluetooth address - this can be obtained from the dongle when running the sketch

Servo servoL; // create servo object, max 8
Servo servoR;

int leftHatX, leftHatY, analogL2;
int speedL, speedR;

//int minSpeed = 180; // vex motor servo values for min and max speed
int zeroSpeed = 90;
//int maxSpeed = 0;
//int minPS3 = 0; // ps3 controller range of values returned
//int maxPS3 = 255;
//long deltaSpeed = maxSpeed - minSpeed;
//long deltaPS3 = maxPS3 - minPS3;

//int ledRed=2, ledGreen=4; // status of bluetooth, green = connected
int ps3connected = 0; // status of bluetooth, 1 = connected

void setup() {
Serial.begin(9600);
servoL.attach(5,741,2400); // attaches the servo on pin 5 to the servo object
servoR.attach(6);
//pinMode(ledRed,OUTPUT);
//pinMode(ledGreen,OUTPUT);
if (Usb.Init() == -1) {
Serial.print(F("\r\nOSC did not start"));
while(1); //halt
}
Serial.print(F("\r\nPS3 Bluetooth Library Started"));
//digitalWrite(ledGreen,LOW);
//digitalWrite(ledRed,HIGH);
}
void loop() {
Usb.Task();

if(PS3.PS3Connected || PS3.PS3NavigationConnected) {
if(ps3connected==0) {
//digitalWrite(ledGreen,HIGH);
//digitalWrite(ledRed,LOW);
ps3connected=1;
}
// =================================================
//leftHatX = PS3.getAnalogHat(LeftHatX);
leftHatY = PS3.getAnalogHat(LeftHatY);
//rightHatX = PS3.getAnalogHat(RightHatX);
//rightHatY = PS3.getAnalogHat(RightHatY);
//analogL2 = PS3.getAnalogButton(L2);
if( leftHatY < 117 || leftHatY >137 ) {
//Serial.print("\n");
//speedR= leftHatY*deltaSpeed/deltaPS3+minSpeed;
//Serial.print(leftHatY);
//Serial.print(" ");
//Serial.print(speedR);
//servoR.write(speedR);

Serial.print("\n");
speedL = map(leftHatY, 0, 255, 2400, 741);
Serial.print(leftHatY);
Serial.print(" ");
Serial.print(speedL);
servoL.write(speedL);

} else {
servoL.write(zeroSpeed);
//servoR.write(zeroSpeed);
}
//// analog buttons - L2 and R2
//if(PS3.getAnalogButton(L2) || PS3.getAnalogButton(R2)) {
//Serial.print(F("\r\nL2: "));
//Serial.print(PS3.getAnalogButton(L2));
//if(!PS3.PS3NavigationConnected) {
//Serial.print(F("\tR2: "));
//Serial.print(PS3.getAnalogButton(R2));
//}
}
// digital buttons
// disconnect on PS button press
if(PS3.getButtonClick(PS)) {
Serial.print(F("\r\nPS"));
PS3.disconnect();
//digitalWrite(ledGreen,LOW);
//digitalWrite(ledRed,HIGH);
ps3connected=0;
}

//}
}

Did you use this controller here?
scsmall1.jpg
What software do you use to input the code?

Yup, that's the one. I'm using the Arduino IDE to compile and upload.

[youtube]aTfOr3wa8vU[/youtube]

Nice is there an on/off button for the PS3 controller. When I put it in my back pocket I can turn it off and it won't be spinning my wheels on accident? Or would it be best to turn off my machine on my main board with the circuit breaker? I'm so sick and tired of my big controller. I have to find some time to implement this feature.

Turn it off before you put it in your back pocket. I always turn off my board too.

The "PS" button is programed to be the on/off. The alternative is to turn off the board and let the controller time out thereby turning itself (the controller) off.

Nice in your code that you pasted. Is the PS3 on/off programmed in there?

What components are you actually using to get the PS3 controller working and where did you get the parts? I'd like to implement the same setup you got right now.

I assume. You are using http://www.circuitsathome.com/products-page/arduino-shields/usb-host-shield-2-0-for-arduino it's connected by bluetooth usb how (guessing)? Where does the ESC cables plug into on the receiver? You then use Arduino IDE and copy the code you gave into it and compile/upload?

Also what battery is on the PS3 controller and how do you charge it? How long does it last? I don't have a PS3 controller so I don't know.

Can you take a picture of your electronics and setup.

Thanks for all your help!

Back