Brushless dual 6kw ALIEN Power system - electric longboard

Beetbocks - would love to hear/see some feedback on your hill climbing ability with those setups.

simonjook said:
Beetbocks - would love to hear/see some feedback on your hill climbing ability with those setups.
They all climb hills well - you've really got to look at the top speed to give u an idea .

I was thinking more a maximum incline before they can no longer maintain 10km/h or stall/lose sync.

simonjook said:
I was thinking more a maximum incline before they can no longer maintain 10km/h or stall/lose sync.
Sorry - I've not done that In depth testing ... :? I could only add- i've never not managed to go up any hills I've tried climbing..and some were pretty steep..

@Beets and all others too. I'm just getting around to finishing my bat box for my board (twin 5s) & want to balance charge with everything in place. So what i'm thinking of is a hole in the box with a 1 " rubber grommet that I could pop out to get to a Deans connector & both balance plugs, I'm keen on keeping things sealed up as best I can.. any thoughts would be good.. How do you guys swing it :wink:

Jonboy said:
@Beets and all others too. I'm just getting around to finishing my bat box for my board (twin 5s) & want to balance charge with everything in place. So what i'm thinking of is a hole in the box with a 1 " rubber grommet that I could pop out to get to a Deans connector & both balance plugs, I'm keen on keeping things sealed up as best I can.. any thoughts would be good.. How do you guys swing it :wink:
Check my other thread - I use a xt60 plug for charging with a xt90 as the on/off switch and this breaks the ESC connection for charging .
I then used a balance lead extension which I have flush with the ESC cover .. A voila....

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=53626&p=813874#p813874

beetbocks said:
simonjook said:
Sorry - I've not done that In depth testing ... :? I could only add- i've never not managed to go up any hills I've tried climbing..and some were pretty steep..

Yeah I know ... was hoping you might. The Boosted design was very focused on big hill climbs and same for me and a couple of riders in my area. I'd love to see how my half ar*ed efforts compare to some good kit. I know you will beat my board but I am just wondering how good of any experience I am missing out on. BTW flatlanders would be supremely happy with my board.

Jonboy said:
Hi
I've only just realised your using a dual 5s battery .. You cannot charge them whilst they are connected together ..
This is why im moving away from the 10s setup .. And sticking with single 7s and 6s with the smaller motors ..

beetbocks said:
Jonboy said:
Hi
I've only just realised your using a dual 5s battery .. You cannot charge them whilst they are connected together ..
This is why im moving away from the 10s setup .. And sticking with single 7s and 6s with the smaller motors ..

If you have a 10s balance charger can't you just buy a 5s to 10s adaptor I have them for my 2s battery's I know you can charge them in parallel but you can in series's coz balance charge will charge each cell seporatly. But I would MSG Bruno just to make sure,

jacobbloy said:
beetbocks said:
Jonboy said:
Hi

If you have a 10s balance charger can't you just buy a 5s to 10s adaptor I have them for my 2s battery's I know you can charge them in parallel but you can in series's coz balance charge will charge each cell seporatly. But I would MSG Bruno just to make sure,

its unlikely he has a 10S charger....there mega expensive... maybe i'm wrong

It's the main reason I've stuck with 6S rather than 8S. The total costs for making your own board shoot up above 6S because of the cots of chargers. You can go 2x5S but it's more of a pain since I have to wait to charge both batteries before I can ride again... with a single battery I can top up as much as I have time for and head off again. Carrying parallel or serial adapters is a pain.

simonjook said:
It's the main reason I've stuck with 6S rather than 8S. The total costs for making your own board shoot up above 6S because of the cots of chargers. You can go 2x5S but it's more of a pain since I have to wait to charge both batteries before I can ride again... with a single battery I can top up as much as I have time for and head off again. Carrying parallel or serial adapters is a pain.

Are you looking at fancy chargers or ones with built in power supply? Because my imaxb8+ charges up to 8s no problem and is anything but expensive..

Hey Beetbox,
what size are your hangers? the 10" or the 9"?
I have the 2 RWD 42mm motors. Will they both fit on the 9" hanger? or did you use the 10 for your set up.

superpef said:
simonjook said:

Are you looking at fancy chargers or ones with built in power supply? Because my imaxb8+ charges up to 8s no problem and is anything but expensive..

I was looking to jump up to 10S ... from 6 to 8 didn't seem enough of a hop to make it worthwhile.

Nikimce said:
Hey Beetbox,
what size are your hangers? the 10" or the 9"?
I have the 2 RWD 42mm motors. Will they both fit on the 9" hanger? or did you use the 10 for your set up.

Just to avoid confusion, you mean 9" truck (axels) where the hanger is 160mm (6.3") or 10" truck where the hanger is 184mm (7.25"). I think you will be struggling to stack two 42mm motors side by side on a 9". If it doesn't fit you can always mount one inboard and one outboard or one front and one rear.

Hi Guys, quick update about the sensored system. It perform well on bench test. The motors are made by internal PCB with hall effect sensors and temperature sensor. By program software you can set the temperature cut off.

Video will be posted soon. Just few things need to be fixed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTgkiEHaYOg

20131101_122118 (FILEminimizer).jpg
20131101_122642 (FILEminimizer).jpg

Looks nice! Very smooth acceleration. Is that because of your throttle method or the sensors?

Looking at that throttle methode, I would love to have something like that wheel on a remote, combined with a dead mans switch for the usual throttle finger, increasing the speed like the volume on a stereo, using the thumb. On a frame like a nunchuck.
That would be awesome!

furp said:
Looks nice! Very smooth acceleration. Is that because of your throttle method or the sensors?

Looking at that throttle methode, I would love to have something like that wheel on a remote, combined with a dead mans switch for the usual throttle finger, increasing the speed like the volume on a stereo, using the thumb. On a frame like a nunchuck.
That would be awesome!

Thanks. It is smooth due to the sensors. I'm working on a nice TX/RX guys. Don't worry. I love this stuff. Just I have too many requests and prototype on my hand, and a day is only 24 hours :lol:

Well this is interesting - after clocking up over 400km on my Caliber mount (not Alien - my own beefier design predating theirs existing) I have found the 35mm wide 6mm aluminium motor plate has started to bend! I'm not sure if that's due to skating forces or creep but it seems too fast for the latter. There is now at least 5mm of deflection over the lenght of the plate (using a 265mm belt). So the rebuild will be a shorter belt and I need to check what type of aluminium the plate was.

It is possible it was caused by the plate getting a little lean on it by the bracket walking a little. Keep an eye on this Calibre riders as the hanger section isn't perfectly consistent so we might need to adjust the mount from time to time. Also, I tried to protect my paint on my truck - let me tell you it will peel as a result of the pressure so protecting it seems futile.

simonjook said:
Well this is interesting - after clocking up over 400km on my Caliber mount (not Alien - my own beefier design predating theirs existing) I have found the 35mm wide 6mm aluminium motor plate has started to bend! I'm not sure if that's due to skating forces or creep but it seems too fast for the latter. There is now at least 5mm of deflection over the lenght of the plate (using a 265mm belt). So the rebuild will be a shorter belt and I need to check what type of aluminium the plate was.

It is possible it was caused by the plate getting a little lean on it by the bracket walking a little. Keep an eye on this Calibre riders as the hanger section isn't perfectly consistent so we might need to adjust the mount from time to time. Also, I tried to protect my paint on my truck - let me tell you it will peel as a result of the pressure so protecting it seems futile.

Photos would be appreciated.

Interesting. Was thinking from the beginning, with the Holey mount, that an angle-strut coming over from around the center of the axle might be a good idea. Would also allow a thinner mount. But the Caliber mount is especially troubling to me. At least the other-worldly (Alien) version. Not enough mount area for my tastes. Not enough mounting bolts. And too much play before tightening it down. Just judging from the photos -- arm-chair engineering ... :)

rf said:
simonjook said:

Photos would be appreciated.

Interesting. Was thinking from the beginning, with the Holey mount, that an angle-strut coming over from around the center of the axle might be a good idea. Would also allow a thinner mount. But the Caliber mount is especially troubling to me. At least the other-worldly (Alien) version. Not enough mount area for my tastes. Not enough mounting bolts. And too much play before tightening it down. Just judging from the photos -- arm-chair engineering ... :)

Photos will be coming next week when I have time to pull it down completely and can find the allen key for the motor pulley. I would say my design is over-engineered compared to the Alien version but the aluminium was a case of what was lying around so it might have been a little soft. I might use stiffening rib down the centreline between the pulleys in the next version. Unfortunately that means starting with a plate twice the thickness and a lot of extra milling it down.

Back