Brushless dual 6kw ALIEN Power system - electric longboard

this is an awesome thread!

So much info my brain exploded....literally :shock:

ANYWAY for all the Aussie E-boards Enthusiasts i made a new thread to help us out.

Anyone who can post Australian specific info such as:
reliable suppliers>
tricks to save on overseas postage costs>
group buys>
aussie innovators>
mistakes you made, so others don't have to>

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

your invited to join the conversation at below link>

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=55046#p820404

Pictures would be nice. I'd like to see how you created your caliber motor mount. Are you saying that the mount is slipping and isn't staying on? The holey mount kept coming undone and had a few bolts snap when using locktite. One of the mounts also snapped as well. This is mainly the reason why I went with my own welded mount solution although I would prefer a bolted motor mount if it worked well and didn't have any issues.

Now, that I'm thinking about it. I would think maybe 3-4 set screws on the other sides of the motor mount would help. Preferably, not an actual set screw but an actual screw. Depending on the size of the caliber bracket perhaps M4, M5 screws to hold the bracket onto the trucks.

Can I just steer this back to the posts topic.. ADS..
I just need to point out that out of maybe over 150 kits , no other customer has complained of the holey mount breaking ..
With regards the Caliber mount and the motor brackets, they are machined from aircraft grade alloy to a much higher spec than is actually required for the task .
I have also had no complains from any customer about bending, breaking or movement of the bracket .
If anyone else has had a problem please don't hesitate to contact me .

Yes, they were high tensile screws they were 12.9. As I've mentioned before, they could be due to the terrain that I ride on. Most people, I would assume don't ride ridiculous terrain. I ended welding my ADS Holey to the trucks itself to stop worrying about the bracket falling off. Glad to know everyone else is enjoying them without any issues. We could only assume it's my issue then. :D

For those that wanted to see my old bracket I posted it over on the Aussie thread. Here's a link to avoid cross posting. Keep in mind this was a first draft I whipped up quickly as a prototype. I've learned from the Boosted blog and the experience of what's happened to this after 400+ kms. It's lasted pretty well for a half days work and a wood CNC :)

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=55046&p=820764#p820764

beetbocks said:
I just need to point out that out of maybe over 150 kits , no other customer has complained of the holey mount breaking ..
With regards the Caliber mount and the motor brackets, they are machined from aircraft grade alloy to a much higher spec than is actually required for the task .
I have also had no complains from any customer about bending, breaking or movement of the bracket .
If anyone else has had a problem please don't hesitate to contact me .

Beetbocks, I PMed you nearly 2 months ago. Recall...

freqjn said:
Caliber and other questions.
Sent: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:14 am
by freqjn

Richard,

I've be plagued by a heavy road vibration problem with the Holey mounts. So far I've split one and done extensive modification the get the other to stay put. Success was achieved with a type of assembly compound, lock wire, a lock nut, and a longer bolt. It is rock solid, near if not equal to if it were welded on. What have you done to make the Caliber mount more vibration resistant, what is to prevent the mount from sliding along the axle under the stress of road vibration and the torque generated by a 63mm motor?

Secondly, I want a replacement Holey motor mount. I live in the US, can I get the mount via Bruno?
Regards,
Trevor
beetbocks said:
Sent: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:43 am
by beetbocks

Hi Trevor
Well I'm at a loss really , as you are the only customer to have this problem and I have myself done many miles on my dual 63mn on very rough British road and I've had no problem and tbh I don't use loctite as I'm always changing setups for testing. I just check and tighten regular .
The caliber mount is locked in place with stainless m6 bolt .its not going any where .
No I'm afraid you cannot get mounts from Bruno .
I hope to be able to sell to the US. Soon .
Regards
Richard

Attachments

• picture086.jpg
    picture086.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 2,887
Yes I recall that ,I also recall it was a vibration problem where the bolts were coming lose not the bracket snapping in half like torqueboards..(which i still find hard to believe)
As i said in the pm- the caliber bracket is a lot more robust and is simpler to attach ( stopping problems with poor instalations) and I also pointed out that I will hopefully be able to sell to the US and send parts there very soon,unfortuantly the insurance companies are taking far longer than I ever expected to come back with a reasonable qoute -to allow me to trade in the US.(until then -they have stated I cannot send any parts the US-even spares) so for that i apologise
I still stand by my statement that I will send a replacement bracket out as soon as I can trade to the US.
I must take this opportunity to point out that these kits were really intended for use on tarmac or paved roads and not rough terrain. Whilst I have also tried to make the kits as easy to fit as possible -They do still need some mechanical knowledge and if they are not fitted correctly they will simply not work perfectly and cause stress on parts.This is why I offer as much advice as I can to customers and provide videos etc to help whenever I can but obviously I cannot be there to fit them for you so they may always be some problems.
That is why i will replace any broken part of my kits ( as long as it wasnt from abusive riding) and offer as much help and advice to resolve the problem I can ,i really cannot say any fairer than that, but i am open to any suggestions from members..

Alien motor mounts are great and work good WITHOUT the added stress of rough terrain. I do like the Alien motor mounts but for my own application they are not durable enough. I cannot stress this enough.

On tarmac, flatground, paved roads there should not be an issue ever with the motor mounts cracking, snapping and/or bending. All issues, I have had are all due to rough terrain. Bolts were also loosening but that's from sidewalks that are bumpy and rough terrain and not flat pavement completely. Flat pavement the motor mounts hold up perfectly and bolts don't loosen.

The Alien Drive Hubs on the other hand are perfect and work great, very durable. I have had no issues with them and would recommend them for others who are looking for a simple kit. My only downside would be they are a very tight fit and don't think I can ever take the drive wheel out of the wheel unless with extreme force. :mrgreen:

Some surfaces aren't suitable for skateboards. Coarse black-top, cobble stones and others need bigger, softer wheels. Or perhaps rubber tires/wheels. Urethane is too hard for some surfaces.

torqueboards said:
The Alien Drive Hubs on the other hand are perfect and work great, very durable. I have had no issues with them and would recommend them for others who are looking for a simple kit. My only downside would be they are a very tight fit and don't think I can ever take the drive wheel out of the wheel unless with extreme force. :mrgreen:

They have to be a tight fit so they are concentric but a good tip to remove them is to simply use a dowel or 4 or 5 mm bolt (it must have a flat end) - turn the wheel over and rest on an open vise so the vice jaws sits outside the hub drive on the urethane.. then just tap the hub out working your way around the three legs a bit at a time - I actually use an old hub that I've ground down so its a loose fit in the wheel and I tap it through from the other side in one go-
Hope this helps-
hubremoval_zps02fa4416.jpg

Considering I bent a 40mm wide 6mm 6060 aluminium plate with my board I am not surprised there are some bends and breaks. I think this is probably another advantage of dual drive. Effectively halving the forces this way just makes life easier on all the components. I ride on pretty smooth roads but the torque required to accelerate up hills and more significantly to brake on the way down really generates some serious forces.

Hi guys I have two full caliber kits from Richard that I am selling never used, as I hurt my knee and can't ride while recovering from the second surgery, looking into a bike know.

If any one is interested I'll be selling them for about 10-15% off the website price MSG me see if I can do any thing lower on price.

What I have:
1x twin caliber 32t full kit black
1x twin caliber 32t full kit silver
1 set brand new abec 11 83mm wheels
2x alien. 300 kv 42mm motors
1x alien twin 120amp esc
1 set of old caliber trucks if you want them I'll send them for free! If you buy the kits

brunotollot said:
Hi Guys, quick update about the sensored system. It perform well on bench test. The motors are made by internal PCB with hall effect sensors and temperature sensor. By program software you can set the temperature cut off.

Video will be posted soon. Just few things need to be fixed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTgkiEHaYOg

View attachment 1

Hi,

Are you also going to sell sensored twin 150A and 120a ESCs?
And maybe later on 42mm sensored motors?

Thanks

I'm sure Bruno has listed all 3 of those items on his website there just out of stock should be in stock next yr some time

Hi all
I just want to pick your brains..
Would people be interested in a hub drive for the Seismic speed vent wheels?
I have a prototype hub that works great and I think the wheels are super soft,come in some nice colours and sizes?
What do you think?

I'm interested...I could finally finish my e-rollerblades project with it, among other things. :mrgreen: But the hub on Seismic SV are small, I'm not sure you can get a lot of torque from it being that small. Are you going sensored? You might need to use 4 motors on a board just to get it to start smoothly, but thats 4 ESCs.

Justin's build seems more feasible:

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=49557&hilit=inline

You can use this truck and fabricate an axle that will go through the motors:

http://www.sk8kings.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=SK8KINGS225&Category_Code=Sk8T

Cheers.

I don't know if any one has tried it but I was looking to buy one and test it for my car and my board, binging me the ability to customise throttle and brake curve through PC or smart phone.

http://www.skyrc.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=18&product_id=178

The same ESC is the turnigy track star 150A GEN2 but I don't think you can use the bluetooth tho yet

Back