• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Bulk Charging Lipo Video

Thanks, nice video. First time I see multi-charger in series to increase voltage! That's a good idea.

Still trying to get my head around switching power sources, and all that. Do you have a meanwell ps, and 3 laptop power supplies? If so, why?

Another great video as usual! I've never thought about putting a couple laptop PSUs in series. I have a crap load of them at put out ~100 watts each.

billyjones454 said:
Still trying to get my head around switching power sources, and all that. Do you have a meanwell ps, and 3 laptop power supplies? If so, why?

2 reasons, first is that the laptop power supplies are a fixed voltage and are not easily adjustable, so 3 in series with the Meanwell i can use the MW pot ( potentiometer ) to set the desired end voltage.

2nd is the MW supplies burn up if they are run at full power, the laptop supplies on the other hand do " current ( amps ) limitting " without blowing up.. so the laptop units allow up to 4.5 amps, keeping the MW supply well within it's limits.

Result is a 450w total charger at 100v !

A bit more info about this charger. got a few PM's so i'll cover them here for everyone.

Each laptop power supply ( PS ) are fixed voltage for 6 cell packs, so 4.2 x 6 = 25.2v

3 of these units in series, gives me a voltage of 75.6v

My trike pack is 24S ( 24 cells in series ) for a fully charged pack, would be 24 x 4.2 = 100.8v

Since i dont want to fully charge the pack, an average voltage per cell of 4.15v means i need aprox ( 4.15 x 24 = 99.6v )

The laptop PS boxes have no Pots ( potentiometer ) to adjust their voltages, so using the MW in series with the 3 laptop PS's , i can trim the final unloaded voltage ( no battery connected ) to 99.6v and hook up the battery pack.
---------

So, what happens when i hook it up ?

After a ride, the battery pack voltage can be as low as 3.5v x 24 = 84v, if i completely drained the pack 100% it would be 3.0v x 24 = 72v, but i never.. NEVER.. go there.

I plug in the homebrew charger and the output of the charger is limited to 4.5 amps by the laptop PS's , in series a string of PS's will be limited by it's lowest cousin..

Once the pack voltage reaches 99.6v, the 3 laptop units and the MW all lower the amps until it reaches 0 and the pack is then fully charged.

Very cool. Thanks Ypedal!

I'm relatively close to you (compared to everyone else in the world). My wife and I have talked about taking a trip through the maritimes. Who knows, you may get a friendly knock on the door one day ;)

Do you have link showing the charging setup and how to put one together?

Nothing specific, but i will put it together, so far i've built 2 of these 100v homebrews and so far so good..

One thing to note, i dont want newbs to blow themselves up trying to replicate my actions, but i do want to encourage people to read up and learn about the details... remember that I AM NO EXPERT.. I TRY AND I FAIL.. BUT I KEEP TRYING UNTIL EVENTUALLY IT WORKS.... so even tho it worked for me, eventually, does not mean it is a good idea..

so .. yeah.. be aware.. play safe ! :wink:

Ypedal said:
Nothing specific, but i will put it together, so far i've built 2 of these 100v homebrews and so far so good..

One thing to note, i dont want newbs to blow themselves up trying to replicate my actions, but i do want to encourage people to read up and learn about the details... remember that I AM NO EXPERT.. I TRY AND I FAIL.. BUT I KEEP TRYING UNTIL EVENTUALLY IT WORKS.... so even tho it worked for me, eventually, does not mean it is a good idea..

so .. yeah.. be aware.. play safe ! :wink:

I'm sure I can handle it based on my reading here thus far, but your videos seem to have an ability to inspire :mrgreen:

Hey Gaston, have you lost weight? You're looking a bit slimmer than in the leaf blower video :)

Bulk charging for the win :)

Back