Buzzing for a Month!

Zoot Katz

100 kW
It was a month ago today I picked up my batteries from The Renaissance Bicycle Company.

The X5304R, 72V 35A Crystalyte Controller, CA, half-twist throttle, charger and batteries were purchased in May from ebikes.ca knowing that the 18Ah NiMH batteries wouldn't be delivered until after August. The interim had me totally absorbed in learning more about what I'd gotten myself into.

Information on this site helped me prepare the controller and wheel and get stuff hooked up right . It also caused me to upgrade the battery to 48V. Zev plugged in the QC approved batteries and checked out my set up Sept13. I've been buzzing ever since.

584 kilometers and 6 battery cycles logged on the CA
Greatest distance between charges: 101 km
Average distance between charges: 84.3 km
Average Wh/km: 7.07
Max speed: 53.4 KmH
Average speed: 17.5 KmH

I had to tighten the axle nuts before three of the first five rides. They've since remained tight but I still check them.

The spokes were occasionally making noises at ~350 km. At 500 km the wheel required re-tensioning. It was still within acceptable tolerances but the noise from the spokes meant they were getting loose.

As an ebike, le Bete is a work in process. The battery placement is improved over its first location but still temporary. The less than ideal weight distribution adversely affects handling. They're also taking up cargo space. Frame fitted battery packs are a project for this rainy season.

I'm delighted with the bike's performance and range.

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=13891

What does a noisy spoke sound like? I am on my fourth charge (bought everything from ebikes.ca), and looking out for loosening axle bolts and the like. So far so good, after working my way through my newbie setbacks.

The range you are getting is very good. Has me exited about my own project that should arrive any day now.
So your battery is one 18ah 48v nimh?
Are you doing any current limiting on your 35a controller or just careful with the throttle or lots of peddling?
I gather 48v was jus for the extra speed?
Kurt

Loose spokes ping and rub, the wheel basically makes noise. New wheels generally need retightening after the first 100 miles, then again after 100 to 500 depending on payload and terrain.

Ebikes kick ass, so much fun to learn and ride.

Kurt said:
The range you are getting is very good. Has me exited about my own project that should arrive any day now.
So your battery is one 18ah 48v nimh?
Are you doing any current limiting on your 35a controller or just careful with the throttle or lots of peddling?
I gather 48v was jus for the extra speed?
Kurt

I'm not using any current limiting beside what's set in the CA.
The throttle is used conservatively. Pedalling the 120# beast is a breeze on the flats once you get the thing rolling at a comfortable cadence and resistance level. The motor acts like a flywheel. I was surprised by how easy it is to pedal. I'm still as likely to shift gears and apply more of my Watts as twist the throttle in typical traffic situations. I like pedalling and feel silly not doing it. I particularly like the motor when changing lanes, hauling loads uphill and making green lights. The max speeds were achieved down hill with the throttle off. It will do 43 kmh WOT on the flats with some pedal assist. Keeping the speeds lower means I'm not throwing more Watts at the wind.

The battery is two 24V 18Ah packs connected in series. Having two battery packs lets me arrange them for better weight distribution. They had no suitable 48V chargers available so I got two 24V 4A ones and charge the packs separately.

beef_wellington said:
What does a noisy spoke sound like? I am on my fourth charge (bought everything from ebikes.ca), and looking out for loosening axle bolts and the like. So far so good, after working my way through my newbie setbacks.

It's like a pinging squeaking sound. If you've ever stress-relieved a wheel you'd recognise it immediately.
The wheel sometimes gets a lateral load on it when wheeling the bike through doorways. That's when I first noticed it.

Good info, thanks... I haven't heard that discussed here before. I'll be listening very intently to my wheel for pings and squeaks.

beef_wellington said:
I'll be listening very intently to my wheel for pings and squeaks.

If you hear a loud *plink* turn around and head for home for a replacement... if it's *plink**plink**plink* hit the nearest bike shop ASAP. :lol:

Back