Bypass-Type BMS?

akrenits

10 mW
Hello ES,

I'm working on a rather specialized project and am looking for a 32s BMS with 150A continuous rating and a voltage cut off around 2.7, but also with a few special conditions. When the low voltage kicks in for a low cell, I need the BMS to bypass that cell and continue functioning through the other 31s. Then 30s, etc, in order to make a safe landing on a dwindling supply. Additionally, I need a switch to completely bypass the voltage cut off in an emergency situation, draining the lipos beyond repair, but giving an extra minute or so of flight. Does anything like this exist?

All BMS systems I've seen have simply cut power when one cell reaches its low end.

Sidenote: Do all BMS work with Regen?

I'm rather surprised they dont. Seems like the obvious design choice for a BMS in almost any application. Cost savings would be the only reason I can think of. If anyone from ES is capable of creating such a BMS I would like to get in contact with you. Alternatively, is this the kind of modification I could request of a company from Alibaba? They have been quite accommodating in the past.

There's no reason or desire to use something like this normally--unless you have a badly-out-of-balance (damaged) pack to start with, you'll never have cells that have that much more capacity than others to be able to use enough energy out of them to make much difference.

If you *do* have an old pack that you just want to eek every drop out of, well, such a system would probably both cost more than and be larger than just having enough cells to double the size of the pack, unless it was a very large pack (or something for a car or other very large EV). For ebikes and such, it would not really be practical, most likely.

For instance:

You'd need relays that can handle full current of the pack in operation, as I assume you can't switch power off to bypass each cell. These will not be small; they may well each be larger than the cells themselves. They may also cost more than the cells--and you need more than one per cell.

Each relay also has to be bounceproof, so no vibtration or shock can possibly cause one to change state (or else you end up with a fireball from shorts, or power cutouts from opens).

You need two, possibly three relays per cell.

There must be one on the positive of each cell, and possibly another on the negative of each cell. These disconnect the cell when it is dead. They would be normally closed, so that unless they are powered on they keep cells connected. You might be able to just use one on each cell, to disconnect just one end.

There must be one across each cell, outside the two above, that will short across the place where that cell had been. They would be normally open, so that unless they are powered on, they do not short across the cells.

The first pair must activate before the third does, or you end up with a possible fire.

Optionally you could just fuse each cell so that when the shorting relay closes, it blows the fuse (hopefully) before the cell or it's interconnects start a fire. ;) Since you'd be throwing the pack away after using this system anyway, it wouldnt' really matter if there was damage as long as a fire doesn't happen.

It does not exist because it makes no sense and is quiet stupid. First, wrecking a battery on first flight is costly and second,running on fumes in the air is not what you want to do. If you are working on aeronautic application pushing your battery til the last electron is dangerous. You rather design you system so when battery is left with 10% you get a warning that you are empty so you have reserve for landing.
Cutting off individual cells is also nonsense. All cells are manufactured to as close with capacity and IR to each other as possible and when building battery pack it is advisable to use cells from the same manufacturing batch. In the end the variation between cells is so small that is not worth the hassle.

BMS purpose is not to let battery deplete/overcharge beyond safe point and that argument:
akrenits said:
I'm rather surprised they dont. Seems like the obvious design choice for a BMS in almost any application.
does not make a point.

Actually, if you are in the air and on fumes,, you will wreck anything to get safe on the ground again.

But one of the first rules of flight is to avoid at all costs being in the air that low on fuel. Sensible precautions pre flight greatly lower the chances of being out of fuel in flight, for both manned and unmanned aircraft. By the time you are dropping cells in that type bms, you are down to 1% fuel. That's too late by a large margin. So that kind of bms cannot save your aircraft.

The catch 22 is the weight of that reserve fuel/ capacity. Low fuel warning should go off long before 10% for starters. I'd say the route to take is a secondary battery you can switch to, with enough in it to make a safe landing. That secondary battery is pretty much unused, and you can be sure it has no weak cells through a periodic cycle and capacity test.

I am working on a project in university with a manned heli. I'm looking at a 9kwh pack (restricted by weight). With a pack this large and a discharge current of 300A, around 5C, there is a decent margin for the pack to become unbalanced during a single discharge, correct? Obviously the proper flight plan is to never reach below 30% charge to accommodate a huge safety margin for this life/death scenario. For whatever reason if this is not achieved in-flight, and you are too low in altitude to use primary safety options, the BMS overrides would be an emergency option, trying to eek out 30 more seconds of flight to make a proper landing. The bypassing of individual cells would save the whole pack if I only needed that last 2% charge, allowing me 15 seconds more flight. In a more severe scenario, I want the option of bypassing over-discharge to get those last 30 seconds. I know I would be throwing away $4000 of batteries, but in the scenario I would be activating this bypass, I'd be dead without it. There is no price to be put on safety and redundancy in a system like this. Basically, I want the option, and I never want to use that option. Additionally, these modifications would be demonstrating intelligent, safe electrical design for the project. So I guess I'm left defending my position on this system, with the following questions:

- Cells in parallel in principle have to be balanced, and therefore would not need to have a bypass for each individual cell?
- Under 300A load (4-5C) would the balance be off enough that the primary cell bypass would provide even 10 more seconds of flight? How about on an older, well-loved pack?
- With a 32s 80Ah pack, would discharging from 3v to empty (under load 2.7v to completely dead) provide enough power to eek out even 15 more seconds of flight?

Amberwolf: The packaging concern is definitely a consideration. The vibrations too, obviously. Is there no possible work-around for this? Can you elaborate a bit more on the fusing of the batteries? Not sure I understand. Could you link to some sources for the kinds of relays and such I'd need? Or elaborate on what these components are referred to in the industry? Trying to get an idea of what weight this specialized system would add. Do they make specialized, low-weight electrics like this for aerospace applications?

Dogman: Thanks for helping on almost every post I've ever made. Appreciate the fresh perspective on the project. The extra battery is interesting. With my kind of set up, having a separate battery will add weight by means of extra connections, another bms, wiring, packaging, etc. In principle, for the same weight, I would be decreasing my capacity by having a separate second battery, at which point, it makes more sense to have just one pack and properly monitor the health of the cells in flight to make safe choices. Would you agree?

Agnuism: I completely understand this would be a one-time use system in the event I bypassed the over-discharge. What I am discussing is having the option of bypassing the BMS in emergency situations, not ignoring it completely for everyday use. I agree that it should never come to the point of needing this option, but if it does, I'd want it. I recognize I am not well-versed in the black magic of electrical engineering, but lets have a proper discussion (not an argument :wink:) on the matter and keep these forums respectful and insightful.

Ps: I guess my concern for these kinds of options comes from experience in previous packs where even brand new batteries become unbalanced during a single discharge, not appreciably, but when I extrapolate to the size pack I am proposing, it seems to give that extra 10-15 seconds. Arguments can definitely be made that the budget batteries I am referencing are not a fair comparison, but everything is built on SOME budget :wink:

Pps: This would not be my only safety measure on the craft, however the primary safety measures would be largely ineffective at altitudes 0-75ft. This is the "death zone" I'm trying to erase with the BMS solution.

Don't get me wrong, i am not arguing. Just pointing out obvious things. You say 30% reserve, so why think more? I don't get that. You want 15s more flight? Add 5%(or whatever is) 15s on your system and make it 35% reserve and you are good. If you would make or there was such nonsensical BMS it would serve no purpose in the system and battery pack would def be overdischarged sooner or later caused by human error.
I just don't see the point in overengineering critical system. You want to make it least complicated with least components to go wrong.

akrenits said:
With a pack this large and a discharge current of 300A, around 5C, there is a decent margin for the pack to become unbalanced during a single discharge, correct?
Not if you have good, matched cells that you are not using outside their nominal specifications. There's good cells out there that have been mentioned or evne used here on ES that could handle that kind of current, though I have no idea if they meet your weight/volume/capacity needs.

For example, I use "ancient-technology" EIG NMC 20Ah cells that could do 5C, and if you had 3P you could get 300A out of them at their max ratings. If you used 6P you'd be easily within their nominal ratings and quite safe with no worries.

I'm sure there are newer cells that can do better than that, but I don't keep up with the tech. You could find the thread about various battery tech announcements; it's somewhere in this subforum. Sorry I don't have a link (I don't read it, just have seen it).

People also make separate threads about new tech, rather than putting htem there, because they would rather clutter the forum with a billion unfindable threads about stuff than keep useful info all in one place, but you'd have to find those threads individually by reading thru the whole forums since I know of no way to search for them, as all the common terms for them are also common for most other things here on ES. :(

If you abuse your cells outside their specs, or use them at their absolute maximum ratings a lot, then you can expect the pack to behave abnormally, get hotter, and need more maintenance, which would include cell replacements more often, and you would want to design the pack to accomodate that, and as with many aircraft things, require that anything out of spec (cells that cut out early) be replaced immediately.

It'd be a lot better than relying on a system that could cause these problems, if just a single relay were to fail:

--A series relay failure to close would cause complete power loss, with no possibility of manual recovery in-flight. Unless you have a secondary pack, or use two parallel packs of each half the capacity, each of which can still handle the full current load by itself while staying in it's nominal specs, the craft is lost and crew/etc dead because of a single-point failure.

--A series relay failure of closing when not commanded would cause a dead short across a fully-charged cell and cause the cell to burn, if not fused.

-If the cell is fused it would still suddenly drop the voltage of the pack by that cell, losing some power.

-If the controller then commands more current to make up for the voltage drop so the rotors can keep the speed needed for the commanded flight operation, then the cells are now loaded more heavily. You'd have to use cells that are spec'd for the worst-case situation of losing say, half of your pack, for their normal usage, or risk overheating the pack and possibly causing a fire, or at the least damaging the cells and requiring replacement if the aircraft survives for landing.

Those are just two obvious possible single-point failure scenarios that immediately occur to me; I'm sure there's others.

Obviously the proper flight plan is to never reach below 30% charge to accommodate a huge safety margin for this life/death scenario.

If I were doing this, I'd simply mark the fuel gauges to only even show that 70, or less, percent of the pack is actually even available to start with. So Full to Empty on the cockpit gauge is actually only showing you 100% down to 30%. And never tell the pilot that they even *have* the other 30%, so they can't ever plan to use it, but it will still be there if everything goes sideways up in the air and they just "magically" have more fumes than they expected. ;)

For whatever reason if this is not achieved in-flight, and you are too low in altitude to use primary safety options, the BMS overrides would be an emergency option, trying to eek out 30 more seconds of flight to make a proper landing. The bypassing of individual cells would save the whole pack if I only needed that last 2% charge,
If they're well-balanced you won't have 2%; they'll all die at the same time, so you won't have anything to use. Having an emergency system that *depends on* having something that can't be relied on to exist sounds like a recipe for tragedy.

allowing me 15 seconds more flight. In a more severe scenario, I want the option of bypassing over-discharge to get those last 30 seconds.

For that, you'd want to set the LVC a lot higher, so that much more of the pack remains. Not to prevent pack damage, but to prevent the probability that at some point the cell(s) simply can't provide that emergency power, exactly at the time it would be relied upon to be there, because the pilot "knows" it's there (even though it may not be).

I wouldn't want to be responsible for a design that has a likelihood of killing people like that.

There is no price to be put on safety and redundancy in a system like this.
Completely true, which is why you would not want to design it to rely upon capacity that may not even be there, and instead design the pack to hold much more than is actually needed, or derate the pack's stated capability to leave more margin for aging, abuse, etc.

If you are limited by weight or volume, etc., and cells dont' exist that can give you both the Wh and A needed, simultaneously, then you simply have to call the pack a smaller capacity than it actually is, and keep the remainder as your reserve. The pack will not have the range you want, but that's just the way it would have to be, until weight/volume/etc can be made available for the proper-capability pack, or cells become available to create one that does fit within the constraints.

Otherwise the only safe option I can see is to remove weight elsewhere to make a proper-capability pack possible.

Basically, I want the option, and I never want to use that option. Additionally, these modifications would be demonstrating intelligent, safe electrical design for the project.
Not to me. They represent possible single-point failures that will kill people when they happen. :/

- Under 300A load (4-5C) would the balance be off enough that the primary cell bypass would provide even 10 more seconds of flight? How about on an older, well-loved pack?
No way to know till you actually test it with the specific cells and equipment you are going to use. For an older "well-loved" pack, if it can't provide the cabability *AND* reserve required, it must be replaced immediately, not depended upon to do something it possibly (probably) can't do anymore.

And remember that it is not only the cells that have to deal with this situation.

Relays must all handle the currents needed, and they must not arc or weld contacts (or blow semiconductors if they are solid-state), under any conditions that could possibly ever happen on the aircraft (not just normal flight, but conditions that would be just short of tearing it apart or otherwise killing the occupants anyway).

Controller has to handle the voltage drops as cells cut out of the circuit, so you need a controller that basically has no LVC, and is actually capable of still running the motors even on just one cell.

Remember: the cell-bypass system could cause the entire pack to cut out like a set of christmas lightbulbs wired in series, where one bulb burns out and then shorts across itself so the rest of the string stays lit, but then the other bulbs all have a higher load on them, so any that are already stressed will die, putting a higher load on the others, which are now stressed even further, so more will quickly die, putting much more stress on the remaining ones, until they just all go pop and there's no lights left.

Except in this case that means there's no power left, and you're falling out of the air with no hope of recovering from it.

- With a 32s 80Ah pack, would discharging from 3v to empty (under load 2.7v to completely dead) provide enough power to eek out even 15 more seconds of flight?
Dunno--you'd have to test it with the specific cells, once you know exactly how much power is consumed in such an emergency action. Or talk to the company that makes the cells, to see what they have tested them to be capable of.

I would never depend on that last bit of power being there for such an emergency situation. What happens when it isn't?

Amberwolf: The packaging concern is definitely a consideration. The vibrations too, obviously. Is there no possible work-around for this?
I don't know what you mean--vibration is vibration, it's always there, and turbulence in aircraft can be severe enough to tear one apart, under the wrong conditions, so you have to have relays that are totally vibration-proof. I don't even know if they exist, other than solid-state stuff.

Even the relays used on stuff in regular aircraft control systems occasionally have chatter on them, based on what I saw when I was a final QC test tech at Honeywell CFSG, during burn-in vibration tests. It's not such a huge deal there becuase the chatter might only be once for an instant, but it's not high current and it's not handling all the power for the entire aircraft--yours HAS TO handle that...so any chatter means either loss of all power for that instant, or if it's a series relay that shorts across a cell because of it it could arc and weld under the current that will now flow thru it (which will be many times what the relay normally handles, even if it's only until the cell-fuse blows).

Can you elaborate a bit more on the fusing of the batteries? Not sure I understand.
Each cell could have a fuse instead of a relay to cut it out of the pack.

The fuse would be rated to handle "normal" loads (anything the controller can spike out of the pack) but would blow if the cell were shorted, before the wiring to the cell could be damaged from the heat, or the cell itself would heat enough to cause a fire.

The relay that shorts across the cell would be what blows this fuse and disconnects the cell from the pack.

I'd use fuses even if you use a relay so that if the series relay fails shorted you don't have a fire.

It'd also prevent a fire in the case of a wiring fault (broken insulation shorting to something else).

Could you link to some sources for the kinds of relays and such I'd need? Or elaborate on what these components are referred to in the industry? Trying to get an idea of what weight this specialized system would add. Do they make specialized, low-weight electrics like this for aerospace applications?
You'll have to research that stuff; I don't have any idea what's actually out there right now, other than that the higher current stuff is always bigger and heavier and costs more. Smaller options cost even more. (There may not even be anything in existence that does what you need it to do, so you might have to design it and have it custom-made for you.)

If you put that money into better cells, you'd be a lot better off, with less failure points. Less things to go wrong with nothing between you and hard ground but dozens to thousands of feet of air is a good thing. ;)

Arguments can definitely be made that the budget batteries I am referencing are not a fair comparison, but everything is built on SOME budget :wink:
If you have a system that is life and death dependent on having these batteries have the capabilities you need, then you need to consider increasing the battery budget to ensure they can do it even when aged, and design the system around ensuring the batteries are never put into a situation where they can't do it. ;)

Very insightful. I'm definitely on board with that logic. But taking that logic to the other extreme, the solution becomes to not even have a bms on the vehicle, only use one for charging. I'd have the reserve (that the pilot wouldn't know about) but in an emergency I'd want to bleed the cells dry, so the bms's main purpose (during discharge) becomes a hindrance. Fuses would do the job in any shorting situation and use voltmeters on each cell for in-flight monitoring. Would you agree?

Assuming I do a 4p32s arrangement (as opposed to a 32s4p), If one cell fails of its own accord during flight, the other cells in the parallel group will continue functioning and therefore the whole pack, correct? Obviously that would be reason for an emergency landing and quick replacement of the dead cell, but that would be a failsafe in itself, no?

Additionally, if a whole parallel group fails, is there a way to wire it so the pack bypasses that group and becomes 31s? Like, breakers which redirect current on the "tripped" side to bypass the cell? Or would the cell continue to conduct in series? (I've found this to be true on a shot ebike pack, but is that a normal way to fail?)

akrenits said:
Assuming I do a 4p32s arrangement (as opposed to a 32s4p), If one cell fails of its own accord during flight, the other cells in the parallel group will continue functioning and therefore the whole pack, correct? Obviously that would be reason for an emergency landing and quick replacement of the dead cell, but that would be a failsafe in itself, no?

If a cell in parallel wiht other cells fails, it drags the whole group down wiht it. If it fails shorted, and the other cells are still charged enough, then they can force enough current into the cell to heat it enough to cause a fire.

individual cell fuses should prevent that, but it depends on how the cell failed inside, and how much capacity is left in the other cells, how hot they already all are, etc.

I'd guess that's one main reason why the Tesla packs are cell-fused, and a secondary reason they ahve the cell cooling system.

To find out if stuff really will fail safe, you first have to design it, then you have to test it in all hte various ways it could fail, until the destruction of packs stops happening because you've eliminated all the ways they can fail unsafe. Would be expensive. ;)

Additionally, if a whole parallel group fails, is there a way to wire it so the pack bypasses that group and becomes 31s? Like, breakers which redirect current on the "tripped" side to bypass the cell?
That's exactly what we were already talking about, with the relays to bypass....with the serious failure modes, costs, etc.

If you don't use a bypass and you keep running current thru a dead cell, you have a significant chance of fire (or worse, depending on the type of cells, containment, etc).

That's where you ahve to decide if having a BMS tto cutoff discharge in such cases would be better than having an onboard fire, and where you have to decide if you want to split everything into at least two packs, each of which must be capable of supplying the whole system's current, but at only half the capacity/range.

Then if a pack fails you still have th eother, but you get an alarm that you must IMMEDIATELY set dow
n.

akrenits said:
Very insightful. I'm definitely on board with that logic. But taking that logic to the other extreme, the solution becomes to not even have a bms on the vehicle, only use one for charging. I'd have the reserve (that the pilot wouldn't know about) but in an emergency I'd want to bleed the cells dry, so the bms's main purpose (during discharge) becomes a hindrance. Fuses would do the job in any shorting situation and use voltmeters on each cell for in-flight monitoring. Would you agree?

Sure, you don't HAVE to have a BMS on board. Most (all?) RC airplanes work this way and most RC guys don't even balance every charge. Some do, some balance every few charges, some don't balance ever (these are generally the people who have battery fires).
However, if you have don't have a BMS on board, you will need a 33 wire connector for your charger (or a large 2 wire and small 31-33 wire connector) for your 32s pack.

Additionally, if a whole parallel group fails, is there a way to wire it so the pack bypasses that group and becomes 31s? Like, breakers which redirect current on the "tripped" side to bypass the cell? Or would the cell continue to conduct in series? (I've found this to be true on a shot ebike pack, but is that a normal way to fail?)

I don't know what you mean by a 4p32s vs 32s4p. You always connect all cells within a parallel group.
New, high quality cells should have a failure rate of 1x10^-7 ish. Depends on the cell. Check the data sheets. You said this is a university project; I assume you won't be operating it for many years, just a few (<100) cycles.
It depends on how the cell fails.

I'm not aware of any kind of circuit breaker that acts as a double throw switch that trips to the normally open side being closed. In theory, it should be possible (a circuit breaker is a single throw switch that can be opened manually or automatically), but I can't think of a use case for it. As I think about it, a normal circuit breaker won't work anyway because there won't be a difference in current. Ie, if you tripped one, you'd trip them all.
You could build a system that detected weak cells and pulled them out (needs one double throw switch per cell) but it will get heavy, expensive, large, additional failure points, etc; see AW's comments above.

The way I see it, 4p 32s is 4p groups and 32 of them in series. 32s 4p is four 32s batteries connected in parallel. series first, then parallel is 32s 4p. Not the same, but same capacity of course.

You can have an emergency contactor, that the pilot can engage to bypass the normally used bms, if you chose to have one vs merely using voltage alarms. I'd think perhaps you want bms and dual voltage alarms. This bypass contactor will allow discharge regardless of battery damage, and it will also give the pilot an emergency plan in the event of a bms failure. Risk of fire is not so bad, vs falling from the sky. It can start burning once you are down. But you don't want either. I'd want the contactor to bypass the bms more for bms failure rather than for taking the pack to 0v.

One problem is reliably knowing when 30% is reached, and likely even more vital, when 50% is reached since you want to be heading to a landing area by then at least. So you may be watching a watt meter more than you are watching volts, as a bms does.

I may not be much of a pilot, but I do understand the basics. I have a private pilot, hot air balloon certificate. It's all about redundancy in the air. I'd still like a back up battery separate from the main, if one can be found that can dish out enough power without being too heavy. This plan would also give you reasonable power for that emergency landing, at least if you can get down in a short time. Full power for 15 min would beat half power or less from a failing battery trying to do an emergency landing. Another contactor could parallel both the reserve and the main, once you get down to 10% on the reserve, to suck out that last bit if it will help you survive.

Choppers usually can land fast, unless in a very congested area. This will be experimental, so I assume it will fly in class G space that has landing spots not found in C. That's not strictly required after the flight testing is complete and you have an airworthiness certificate, but it would make sense not to fly over large cities with fewer landing opportunities until reliability of the system is very well proven. So you might get down safely on a very short duration reserve if you stick to less congested G or E airspace, and D airspace very near an airport.

One nice thing about choppers, you do have a chance to auto rotate down after power fails. You won't get much lift out of the last 5% of battery as voltage plummets. Would it be better to let the blade auto rotate, vs turning slower under low power? Might get a better flare out of a faster spinning blade than one barely turning under power?

Aloha :banana: . I've been dreaming about making this since 2007 when I was active here. It's only now that I figured out how to make it using Arduino and relay boards. But the relays are only rated at 30VDC 10A which is great for my boombox packs and a 30 volt ebike. I've been flaky so I won't promise that I'll start sharing pictures again but I will be very motivated to do it if my Bypass BMS build is successful :flame:

amberwolf said:
There's no reason or desire to use something like this normally--unless you have a badly-out-of-balance (damaged) pack

I have a reason. The runt cell can take a break while the strong ones keeps working. At some point the strong ones will wear out and be equally as weak as the runts. :lol:

it's a long term way to balance the pack :D

Back