CA behaving strangely after getting wet

Philistine

100 kW
So day before yesterday I got stuck in a biblical downpoar, it was a full on flash flood. At one point I had to through an underpass and only half way through discovered it was over a foot deep. Got home and all was fine. I was actually commenting to my wife that I couldn't believe my bike had survived such a drenching (it was my Greyborg).

But then the next day after it had dried out, I went to ride it, and the CA (Large Screen CA with speedo cable, and modded to have the Lumen light attach to it), when first turned on, the Cycle Analyst screen was just a series of digital boxes (like a grid of boxes). After a few minutes though the screen returned to normal. But now when I go to ride, it starts saying I am going 140kph when I am going about 5, and it says that I am using 3 kw when I am using about 200w. And because of this (i presume it is the limiting in the CA) it cuts the throttle off after a decent wrench. If I disconnect the CA I can ride no worries, so I presume it is the limiting function in the CA when being given these wildy inflated values. THe annoying thing is I can scroll left and right, but I can't go into setup, if I hold the button down nothing happens (ie, you can scroll left, but holding it down does nothing).

Is there anything I can do about this? Or is it just permanently damaged do people think? Should I try opening it up and drying with a hairdryer?

Open it up and toss it in a freezer bag filled with descant (you can buy it in the paint section of a hardware store) and seal it up.

It should be good as new in a day of chilling.

yep, open it up and check for obvious signs of water, a hair blower or even an air compressor ( use common sense here, with air nozzle at a distance , blow it out dry... ) or leave it open for a day out in the sun..

The older style with the side button was prone to this, a few good shots of compressed air usually cures it right up... i have not had any problems with the large screen models yet however..

Also check the multipin connector for moisture..

Just thought I would update this thread with the outcome. Luke is a genius. After a week it was still not working, opened it up but there was no obvious wetness or dampness to be seen at all. But days later still wouldn't work, so I sealed it up in a sandwich bag with Damp Rid/ Descant type stuff as suggested, a day later, just went and tested and it is working flawlessly. Good trick to know, and a technique I recommend to all people who get wet CAs.

Back