• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Ca dp v3 limiting speed/power

Emoto

10 kW
Have searched for answer but no luck.
Ca-dp v3 conected to em3 18fet controller for the first no load test
ca unplugged im getting full power.
only get 20kmh speed, digits flash even though speed is set to 199kph, power is set to 90 amp 9000watts. power digits arnt flashing.

as seen here http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55579
tried these settings
ThrI->CntrlMode = Off (WOT)
ThrO->MinOut = 3.98V [ setting this to 160 i get better speed but not much
ThrO->MaxOut = 4.99V
to disable [ not sure how many other things it disables ]
but lucky i had rear wheel off the ground in stand as it went wot :shock: and no throttle controll.

I want to keep throtle conected to controller and dont want to go through CA atm but would like to use all other features ie power limits thermal rollback ect without cutting ca-dp conector green

Have you checked 'Preset Cnt'?

Have you checked both 'throt in' and 'throt out'?

http://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/grin-products/cycle-analyst-3.html Find (ctrl+f) 'CA3 Setup Menu' and read this section, it may help guide and identify various settings.

Preset Cnt is mode 1 i have limited it to that to eliminate the other 2 modes and dont have a data cable to program.
throttle in is standard settings as in the CASetupUtility.
throttle out is 1.45 to 4.99

Emoto said:
tried all
currant/ power wouldn't make any diff as my settings are 90 amp 9000watts
same for speed as my set is 199 kph.....

So you are saying you won't check the throttle in settings?

Well, I feel stumped. The only other thing I can suggest is to triple check the settings in speed lims and the throt in with incredible diligence, I don't know what else can create a speed limit, but maybe someone else does.

The answers to you questions are all in the Guide. You can also get to the Guide from the ebikes.ca Documentation page.
I don't mean for this post to sound harsh, but you really need to read the Guide and do what it says exactly.

A. Flashing Digits - Non-zero Start Speed

Emoto said:
only get 20kmh speed, digits flash even though speed is set to 199kph, power is set to 90 amp 9000watts. power digits arnt flashing.
Unofficial Guide Section 2.3.2 Status Screens said:
d. display elements flash to indicate significant status conditions:
  • exceeding a limit causes the units to flash: 'kph/mph' flashes if over the configured speed limit,'V' flashes if below LVC,
  • the speed digits flash if the present speed is less than the configured Start Speed
It looks like you have been messing with the Start Speed and it has some non-zero value.
Following the Guide, you should never have fiddled with that setting. Please stop experimenting.

B. Runaway bike - Failed to Identify Interface Type

Emoto said:
as seen here http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55579
tried these settings
ThrI->CntrlMode = Off (WOT)
ThrO->MinOut = 3.98V [ setting this to 160 i get better speed but not much
ThrO->MaxOut = 4.99V
to disable [ not sure how many other things it disables ]
but lucky i had rear wheel off the ground in stand as it went wot :shock: and no throttle controll.
It seems you skipped the very first (critical) test in section "4.2.1.1 Direct Connect: Controllers with CA Interface Connectors" that would have identified your interface type as "Large Screen" instead of "Legacy". So - since the instructions in that link are for the other 'legacy' type - not your type - when you set the throttle to WOT, the bike took off.
Perfectly normal.

C. Wrong CA/throttle hookup for Interface Type

Emoto said:
I want to keep throtle conected to controller and dont want to go through CA atm but would like to use all other features ie power limits thermal rollback ect without cutting ca-dp conector green
So - from this I assume your throttle is plugged into the controller. From the behavior above, it seems you are using CA connection as described in section "4.2.1.1/A Normal Mode Operation with 'Large Screen Compatible' Interface (V3 with New Controller)" which expects the throttle plugged into the CA - but you have it plugged into the wrong place. This is why you cannot go more than 20mph. You should have used the technique described in section "4.2.1.1/C V2 Legacy Mode Operation with 'Large Screen Compatible' Interface". Look at the pictures.

D. Wonky & Default Throttle IN/OUT Settings - Must be Determined According to Guide Procedure

Emoto said:
throttle in is standard settings as in the CASetupUtility.
throttle out is 1.45 to 4.99
Again - you need to read the Guide AND DO WHAT IT SAYS. In this case you seem to have skipped section "4.6.2 Set Throttle Input/Output Voltages".

-- Next Steps:

The Guide assumes you have a CA in the default factory-fresh state, but you have been messing around with settings so the instructions may frankly not work 100%. Normally, I would recommend re-flashing to defaults, but you don't seem to have a cable. You can try following the Guide and see how it goes, but it may not work well. I recommend that you download the default settings from here (Printable Setup Summary for CA v3.0 Prelim6) and carefully restore all settings on all screens to default - this is critical. This is a major PITA, but you are where you are....

After that, follow the installation steps in the Guide - from the beginning. You will need to modify your CA, etc to get the legacy mode you desire and you must follow all the steps to get your throttle and other settings adjusted properly. If you do not skip steps or modify the indicated settings or procedure, your CA should work.

And order a cable ASAP....

Well Firstly i have been searching
teklektik said:
I don't mean for this post to sound harsh
Are you sure with posts like for example
Again - you need to read the Guide AND DO WHAT IT SAYS.
Posts like that Speak for them selves, and shouting is.. well bad tast. :roll:
Lastly" i value your support" and will read what you suggestions... but just not delivered in that way would be a predicated

Emoto said:
Posts like that Speak for them selves, and shouting is.. well bad tast. :roll: .
Well - considering Installation section of the Guide starts with (underlining and color from the Guide):

• Please carefully follow the following steps in order and without modification.

and considering the number of things in the Guide that you completely skipped -- it seemed emphasis might be useful.

It took time to type that post and show you the clues and reasoning - if you think that post is in Bad Taste and you want to get huffy over a few words in caps - well, as you might say: "that speaks for itself".

I had exactly the same. Wired throttle through the Ca and was perfect. 8)

teklektik said:
Emoto said:
Posts like that Speak for them selves, and shouting is.. well bad tast. :roll: .
Well - considering Installation section of the Guide starts with (underlining and color from the Guide):

• Please carefully follow the following steps in order and without modification.

and considering the number of things in the Guide that you completely skipped -- it seemed emphasis might be useful.

It took time to type that post and show you the clues and reasoning - if you think that post is in Bad Taste and you want to get huffy over a few words in caps - well, as you might say: "that speaks for itself".
There you go again if you look at the post i linked tohttp://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55579 you were civil in that, my prob was the same, having all the answers doesnt give you the excuse to speak in any manner you chose.
That guide is massive and using the forum to get a start is completely normal... get a grip. I was sure you were going to reread your post and say yeah ok fair enough...

Emoto said:
There you go again if you look at the post i linked tohttp://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55579 you were civil in that, my prob was the same, having all the answers doesnt give you the excuse to speak in any manner you chose.
So now the posts above aren't 'civil' ?
A few caps is 'speaking in any manner I choose' ?

I'd be embarrassed too if I did such a poor job of installation by ignoring step by step instructions. But there is no name calling, no derision, just a few caps about following instructions when you clearly never even looked at the manual. That's not being 'uncivil', or 'speaking in any manner' - it's the simple facts.

And you are quite wrong, your case is not the same as the linked post. That member wanted to do something that was not explained in the manual (at that time) while you want to do a very common thing that it described in detail and extends from the initial wiring through configuration. All of which you got wrong without exception.

Is it embarrassing to have the unnecessary errors in your install identified? Maybe.
Good luck with the remarks about 'civility' as a deflection. :mrgreen:

Emoto said:
That guide is massive and using the forum to get a start is completely normal... get a grip...
Please don't blather about the manual being 'massive' - it's clear that you never looked at the manual and treated the V3 like a toaster, plugged it in, and expected it to work.

Emoto said:
I was sure you were going to reread your post and say yeah ok fair enough...
In like vein, I was sure you were going to say that you understood the V2 and just thought the V3 would be the same and didn't even look for a manual.... Fair enough.
But no - the Guide 'massiveness' seems to have been an up front consideration for winging it. Bad choice.

Stop finger-pointing, suck it up, and re-install the thing so you can enjoy it.
'Nuff said.

Well looks like you still dont get it its not just the caps. if your going to help, do it in a less patronizing condescending ........ manner, your clearly lacking any tact or class, and if your going to be like that expect someone to complain about it , as said before your over the top responses speak for them selves , teklektik do yourself a favor stop ranting on :roll: its embarising

bowlofsalad said:
Well, I feel stumped.
I was the same, after pulling the motor apart to install a ntc thermistor for temp monitoring, pulling apart the CA to covert it from a ca-dps to ca-dp for direct plug in ,
then cutting for[ custom length] the leads re soldering the dp connectors on both the CA and controller. its nice to know it was just a few settings after all. all good so far Justin suggested i plug direct to ca [ same as big si thanks :wink: ] so thanks for trying bowlofsalad.

Back