• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

CA wiring to Lyen 12Fet Sensorless 90% there ...help!

Spacey

100 kW
So I cut off the connector that Lyen put on the 12 Fet Sensorless controller that I bought from him a while ago, I did this as I was going to solder the CA directly instead of using the usual connector due to water getting in it and corroding.

Now all the wires except one match up.... on the Lyen Controller there are 2 x black wires which leaves a black and white wire on the CA ..... just not sure which black wire goes to white and which black wire goes to black if you know what I mean.

Hoping that both black wires can go to either the white or black on the CA?

Could someone with a Lyen controller have a look for me please.

Cheers guys.

Hi don't know if this helps but the wires top to bottom in this picture are:

Pin 1: Red = Battery +

Pin 2: Black = Ground

Pin 3: Black = Shunt -

Pin 4: Yellow = Shunt +

Pin 5: Green = Speed sensing

Pin 6: Blue = Hall Effect Throttle Over-Ride

The controller part is the left of the plug and the CA is on the right.

CA-plug.JPG

Thank you very much indeed, I will have to open up the controller to figure out which black lead goes to - shunt but this helps me a lot :D

The main problem was that the last 2 wires left that did not match up were black and white on the CA side .... and black and black on Lyens Sensorless controller side. Did not want to blow up my CA or controller.

The Mighty Volt said:
Is it true then that a CA can be wired to just about any controller so long as these pins can be located/identified?

From what I understand, this is mostly true. The controller would need to have a shunt for measuring battery current at least (or you could add your own external shunt - which is basically the CA-Standalone, a CA that comes with a shunt).

If you want to use the CA's "throttle override" speed/current limiting functions on a controller that is not pre-wired for the CA, the controller would need to have a throttle input that is a negative grounded, 0 to 5 Volts, speed control. A couple of extra components like a resistor and a diode could be needed to enable the override capability ... the exact circuit for this is included in the CA user manual.

If you want to use the "speed" sensor wire on the CA (rather than using the old magnet and sensor on your wheel), I think you would need to be using a sensored direct-drive motor and then you can hook the "speed" wire to one of the hall sensor outputs. With a sensorless controller, I am not sure where you could hook up the speed sense wire.

ok, back to the problem in hand :)

I wired up the brand spanking new Large CA to the Lyen Sensorless controller and matched all the wires except the 2 x black wires that connect to a Black and White wire. It doesn't matter what combination I give the CA goes to 99%regen and negative watts. Take one black wire off and the voltage readout on the screen halves.

I think I may have blown something on the controller before when I short circuited my old CA connectors when connected to this controller...it was a KFF moment and melted the CA wires.

Any thoughts?

Lyen some input would be great now that you're back from Las Vegas :D

Spacey said:
ok, back to the problem in hand :)

I wired up the brand spanking new Large CA to the Lyen Sensorless controller and matched all the wires except the 2 x black wires that connect to a Black and White wire. It doesn't matter what combination I give the CA goes to 99%regen and negative watts. Take one black wire off and the voltage readout on the screen halves.

I think I may have blown something on the controller before when I short circuited my old CA connectors when connected to this controller...it was a KFF moment and melted the CA wires.

Any thoughts?

Lyen some input would be great now that you're back from Las Vegas :D

Hi Spacey,

I'm sorry to hear that you have let your controller retired early.

Can you tell me which wires have you shorted on your CA connector? I presume you have a battery wire shorted with ground and/or other signal wires if it was melted.

Anyway, please try to narrow down one thing at a time. Remove the CA from the controller completely and perform testing on the controller with your motor. If the controller is okay, then re-attach the CA. Otherwise, troubleshoot the controller in three areas:
1. Check MOSFET for shortage
2. Check voltage regulation circuitry for shortage
3. Check CA interfacing are for shortage

Also, verify if there is any burned/broken traces.

Regards,
Lyen

Hi Lyen, the controller is actually functioning just fine. It's just that When I connect up the CA I get no power readings from the shunt.....or none that make any sense at all.

Due to the CA connector corroding in the past I had soldered the cables up from the Ca to the controller, a while ago I shorted out my original CA and it actually was when it was attached to your controller....I thought it was but it was to the 12 Fet ebikes.ca de sired controller.

When I attached the old CA onto your sensorless controller and it didn't work I figured that it was the CA and bought another CA. Connect this one up and all I get is the speedo and volt readings on the screen.

Your controller has 2 x Black wires but the CA has 1 x Black and 1 x White wires....... The rest are colour matched connected. Have tried both combinations of the left over wires but still no power readings......regen shoots to 99% with a negative 4,000 watts showing on the screen but only half the pack voltage......the other combination has full voltage but no power readings.

Are the 2 x Black wires that come from the controller the same ground? Confused really....

Both black wires are to the common ground. Please verify if the shunt sense wire (yellow from the original controller to CA connector) is soldered near the shunt.

See the link below:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17125

Spacey said:
Hi Lyen, the controller is actually functioning just fine. It's just that When I connect up the CA I get no power readings from the shunt.....or none that make any sense at all.

Due to the CA connector corroding in the past I had soldered the cables up from the Ca to the controller, a while ago I shorted out my original CA and it actually was when it was attached to your controller....I thought it was but it was to the 12 Fet ebikes.ca de sired controller.

When I attached the old CA onto your sensorless controller and it didn't work I figured that it was the CA and bought another CA. Connect this one up and all I get is the speedo and volt readings on the screen.

Your controller has 2 x Black wires but the CA has 1 x Black and 1 x White wires....... The rest are colour matched connected. Have tried both combinations of the left over wires but still no power readings......regen shoots to 99% with a negative 4,000 watts showing on the screen but only half the pack voltage......the other combination has full voltage but no power readings.

Are the 2 x Black wires that come from the controller the same ground? Confused really....

I'll check it tomorrow. Just want to say that this Lyen sensorless controller does work as a controller and has done for 6 months of hard everyday use...just in case it was putting a dull light on it.

Probably just something simple.

Hey Spacey, I just got my DP CA if you need me to look at the connector for you.

I just had my first run today and was disappointed I wasn't getting speed from my sensorless Lyen 12 Fet. Are you running sensorless? Do you get speed?

Cheers for the offer but I managed to get it all wired up in the end.... some oddness going on with the wires.

Speed, well I can get 42mph from a full charged 16S Lipo setup, but it judders like crazy with the motor trying to go into reverse very harshly so I setup my CA so that the throttle controls the amps rather than the speed...then I go gentle until the volts come down a bit from the pack.

Have trouble giving anymore than 30amps to the motor without it juddering harshly on sensorless.

I'm running 18s 30A and get 42mph, the same as you. I also get juddering above 30A. I'm sure its just losing sync. Haven't tried too many different settings - I might try higher phase current but to be honest performance is pretty good at 30A.

What I was asking was; Are you getting a speed pulse from the Lyen sensorless to your CA? I don't seem to be getting the signal and might have to use a reed sw and magnet.

Back