Can any1 recommend a charger setup for these batteries?

bane77087

100 mW
Hello I am most likely going to be buying some of these packs soon, provided I can figure out the right charger and balancer to buy too.
I plan on running these packs 2S2P ( the packs themselves are 5S1P ) for 10ah at the beginning. I was going to go 2S4P for 20ah, this would have allowed me to change to 4S2P later on ( I've been drooling over other ppl's 72 volt setups ) but that might cut into the money for the charger and balancer.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=9174

I don't need a really fast charger I'm at work for a full shift and at 10 ah I will only have to charge once a day anyway. ( works less than 2 miles away )
I'm not sure if I should get a 10S bulk charger, or two 5S chargers. Of course I don't want a charger with reliability issues that will fry my packs.

I believe eventually I will be reconfiguring them later on for higher voltage motors and it would be nice to use the same charger(s)'
It would also be nice so have a charger that runs off of a wall plug instead of needing to run off of a power supply
I have also seen this item

http://www.progressiverc.com/index.php/parallel-splitter-jst-xh.html

although it's for 6s 8s or 10s. Is there something like this that's compatible with the packs I want to get? Is there anyway I could set up my packs to balance them all at once?
I know there's other post convering this but it's all over the place, and with some of the links for items, the listing doesn't exist anymore
any help would be appreciated

2s2p isn't the right term for the pack you are wanting to build. If I understand your post you are wanting 2 sets of 2 in series then parraleled together. This is roughly 40V10Ah so the right way is 10S2P.

A 14S Hyperion charger is your answer. You can charge them without any complicated wire swapping.

FYI For the $ I would go on up to the 6S packs and increase my voltage. to roughly 50 volts. and still be able to charge all at once on the hyperion.

But would I still be able to run that without blowing a 36 volt controller?
money wise its not even close enough to matter to me - Most of my worrying is focused on trying not to get odd voltages to find controllers in if I reconfigures the packs later on.

Turnigy 5000mAh 5S 20C Lipo Pack, $0.39/wh
Turnigy 5000mAh 6S 20C Lipo Pack, $0.40/wh

I've been reading that the best match for a 36 volt controller is 10S, and for a 72 volt controller is 20S is this not correct?

I've been googling 14S Hyperion Charger they seem to come in alot of flavors

Open your controller up and see what the voltage rating on the FETS is. It should be stamped right on the side of them. Don't go over that rating and you'll be fine. As far as what S pack for what controller voltage, man there are just too many variables between controller manufactures then battery chemistries to even use something like that as a rule of thumb. But in general the 20S in not true. 72 Volt controllers usually can't handle more than 72 volts. 20S of LiPo is over 80 volt hot off the charger. now some 72 volt controllers are specked out to handle up to 100 volts. In that case they can handle up to 24S of Lipo.

I have a 250 watt 24 volt unite motor on my ebike and its my first, I got it 2 months ago. Its underpowered but its still fun. A 20 min drive to work in my car takes 40 min on it. Its really slow. I can pedal faster.
I was wanting to upgrade the motor to this, I know ppl are running better stuff than this but its cheap and if I screw it up who cares it was cheap.

http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/36-volt-1000-watt-motor-controller-throttle-kit-standard.html

I saw some post on the forum where ppl were using the following hubmotor at 72 volts

http://www.yescomusa.com/product.php?productid=729&cat=91&page=1

and I thought down the road I might double up my batteries and build a faster bike.
seems like the 72v hubs get pretty pricey like what 800 for a brute or cruiser. And falcon ev most likely alot more.
I looked at http://hyperion-world.com/products/type/15
and it looks like the same 14s charger just has different descriptions online from different suppliers. I was going nuts I thought there was 30 different varieties.
I have to put a new freewheel with and 65 tooth sprocket for 20mph on a 16 inch wheel (I have a small folding bike). But I am also going to order a 50 something and a 40 something and a 13 tooth motor sprocket so I can play around with the gearing some. The sprockets don't cost much anyway and I am already going to be paying for the shipping.
I've got the bike tore down in my living room. If 10S is too much hot off the charger for a 36v controller and 20s too much hot off the charger for a 72 volt ( without looking at the FETs of course which I can't do ) do you think 9S would work for a 36 volt controller? Thats 36 volts hot off the charger right? Do you think it would undervoltage the controller after a few min? If you fully charge and take then from the charger then thats hot off the charger but if they sit for a while after charging do they return to 3.7 without being used?

You may not need to charge fast, but I still recomend you start out with a fairly powerful power supply. Some of the small power supplies for 50w chargers are such junk.

So step one is to get a meanwell 350w power supply. Then decide if you want one larger charger, or several smaller ones that add up to 300w or so. Personaly, I have found a pair of 150w chargers good for my needs. If you buy one higher watt charger, you can easily paralell the packs before charging, so you would be charging a 5s, 20 ah pack on one large charger. Hyperions seem to be the best. But you don't have to get one that does 14s. You can charge all four packs at once by paralelling them. Make sure you get the right meanwell for the charger you choose. Some of the larger chargers need 18v minimum to run. Small ones want 12v.

Check out my review on Icecubes paralell / series charging harness. Buy one or make one, and you get really easy non balancing charges. Once a month or so, you can then do balance charging individually.

10s will work fine on a 36v controller. Many 36v controllers easily handle up to 15s. So 12s now, and 18s later is a possiblilty.

If in the USA, check out EP Buddy for chargers and ps. Always nice to have stuff shipped from your area if it needs returning.

One example of a ready to go 250 w charger. http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17_20&products_id=168

Back