Can this Lipo be fixed?

TopCat

100 W
Hi guys,
Just a quick question. Below are pics of 2 lipo batts 5s -- One good and one bad.
I wired a lead to my controller the worng way and heard a pop? This was a long time ago and have only just gotten around to looking at my batts as I thought they were all duffers :(

Turn out after leaving them for months (after they were run low) they are now being seen by my charger?
Anyway the question is the bad batt that went pop seems to have a gap in the solder and im wondering if I re-solder the joint it may work again?
Im just checking that im going to solder the right part----See pics

Iv'e marked the spot on the BAD BATT with a RED arrow.

Thanks for any help/info on this :wink:

Regards
Tom

Attachments

• badbatt.jpg
    badbatt.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 1,665
It's possible the trace just vaporized. There is a thread somewhere describing that same problem and showing it being fixed and working, so you should be able to patch it.

The only issue you might have is if the packs were already low and then let sit, if they discharged below their critical level you might not want to recharge them.

Solder fixable. Often it's the tabs that vaporize when you have a kff mistake. But if you broke the rules of lipo in the meantime, they will be dangerous to charge. Did they ever get cells below 2.7v?

I have 6 5s batterys (for when I was running a 36V motor) all were fully charged when I made the mistake of connecting the wrong controller lead. Good thing is I only had one batt connected up at the time, so only the one (fully charged batt) went pop.

The other 5 batts. One is slightly puffy and wont be recognised by my Icharger. The the 4 were on my bike when I stupidly gave someone a go on it. They came back (ages later) peddling, saying that it just cut out?
Of course when I go home and tried to charge the batts my charger saw ----Low Voltage Error.
So I left them alone (for months) by the side of my cooker.
The other day I thought I'd try the nimm charge trick to see if I could bring the cells up so that the charger would see them as lipo. After I opened up one batt I thought buggert this as I didn't know where to attach leads? I then tried them on charger again...........and low and behold my charge saw them. So I did a charge/discharge/balance charge. 4 of the 6 batts are now ok.

I'll re-solder that joint and see if batt will work.

Regards
Tom

Take a look here, the pics still seem to work:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=27005&hilit=+repair

Back