Candidate for torque arm? Full suspension bike.

Danschutz

10 W
Wyoming. We have at least 6 months of winter follo
Ive been eyeing a Specialized FSR and a Kona Stinky then this bike popped up on the radar. Im super new to the whole ebike thing and I know that full suspension bikes need to be built for the power of a DD. I do have a friend that can machine something for me but is this a good dropout to work with?

Thanks!
Dan L.

Sweet bike!!

Yes, torque arm is necessary and those dropouts should be easy to make a replacement insert cleanly (for someone with the right tools/skills).

A torque arm that fits in the derailer fuse's cutout would look awesome. but with all of those curves, getting one to fit would be time consuming for your friend, and might get them rather annoyed with you. Plus that piece is designed to bend first if you lay the bike down or hit the derailer on something, saving the frame from damage. replacing it with a stronger part would mean the impact would be transferred to the frame, and could ruin the frame, instead of the cheap disposable part.

A torque plate that sat on top of those dropouts could be made easy enough. the holes in it would make putting bolts through it easy.

Drunkskunk said:
A torque arm that fits in the derailer fuse's cutout would look awesome. but with all of those curves, getting one to fit would be time consuming for your friend, and might get them rather annoyed with you. Plus that piece is designed to bend first if you lay the bike down or hit the derailer on something, saving the frame from damage. replacing it with a stronger part would mean the impact would be transferred to the frame, and could ruin the frame, instead of the cheap disposable part.

A torque plate that sat on top of those dropouts could be made easy enough. the holes in it would make putting bolts through it easy.

That makes sense, weakest link is there for a reason.

So build a plate that fits into the red outline?

Dan L.

Just like that.

I made mine out of 5/16" steel and tapped it with 2 screws to clock it.

I agree, while not the most possible ideal rear droput, there is plenty of flat space for a custom design. It could be as simple as making a plate that looks a lot like a common two piece front torque arm, but has the hole cut in a different angle than a front TA.

In a way, wouldn't it be great if somebody sold those, but without the hole cut yet?

Back