Cannondale Headshok: Good for FWD eBikes?

sparky

100 mW
Was thinking about my nextgen ebike. I currently run a Metro Torquer townie...it's all aluminum. Heavy aluminum. I'm running a WE front hub, Amped bikes torque arm and my beloved 48V 16ah Ping v2. All is well --- until I hit a pothole!

Rear shock absorption is fine. Have a shock absorbing seat post and a thick foam seat. No problemo. The problem is the front. I got knocked hard on a pothole and nearly lost control due to my hands coming off the bars !...

Anyway, most bikes have the flimsy aluminum shocks up front. I've seen a lot of Cannondale "Headshok" bikes with the single shock and dual solid forks in craigslist. Usually a F600 mtb or something. Occasionally a Bad Boy, but they seems pricey...Anyway, Headshok seems like a great idea for ebikes. Has anyone built an ebike using Cannondale Headshok technology? Any thoughts/feedback/feelings on this approach?

A couple of images (not sure if this will work...)

model-6BS.html

model-6FS6.html

bad boy.jpg

Headshock forks make the bike nice and light. Its a great design that leans its self to light weight bikes and componants.
Exactly what you don't want with a fork.
They are aluminum.
And the stress of the lateral forces on them is going to be many times higher than it is on a conventional fork shock.
And They are aluminum.
They are Elastomer and spring style shocks, like the Walmart pogostick forks. They aren't known for a smooth ride, but they were designed to be light First, and functional second
And They are aluminum.

Drunkskunk said:
They are aluminum.
And They are aluminum.

...They aren't known for a smooth ride, but they were designed to be light First, and functional second

And They are aluminum.

Thanks Drunkskunk. I see a pattern here... I know there's a movement to stay away from AL, but so far, so good on my monsterous Metro Torquer AL solid forks w/torque arm. I think people are mainly concerned about spinout..Is that correct? Anyway, so far, so good with mine...

If these barely adequate Headshoks aren't the way to go... do you have a suggestion?

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Al usually snap whereas steel would bend over time and create "spinout".

Thus I thought Al produced "dropout", a much more dangerous incarnation of "spinout"

DerekG said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Al usually snap whereas steel would bend over time and create "spinout".

Thus I thought Al produced "dropout", a much more dangerous incarnation of "spinout"

I don't have firsthand knowledge of either. I've *heard* about the AL snap phenomenon, but haven't seen it. Makes me think it's urban legend...hmmm. I've had a few aluminum mountain bikes and known a lot of people with AL mountain bikes that jump, rock hop, crash and generally abuse their bikes...not a word of snap that I'm aware of...I can't imagine too much more force on a bike then say, a downhill racer, etc.. Dunno.

Spinout, yeah, I can see how that can happen. I mean, without a torque arm...regardless of the metal used. Thinnest part of the fork, most torque and all... sure, i can see that...

sparky said:
I don't have firsthand knowledge of either. I've *heard* about the AL snap phenomenon, but haven't seen it. Makes me think it's urban legend...hmmm. I've had a few aluminum mountain bikes and known a lot of people with AL mountain bikes that jump, rock hop, crash and generally abuse their bikes...not a word of snap that I'm aware of...I can't imagine too much more force on a bike then say, a downhill racer, etc.. Dunno....

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6811&p=104918#p104802

-R

Russell said:

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6811&p=104918#p104802

-R

Thanks Russell, some good info... My pedal-first controller and smallish WE motor may take a load of strain off those huge aluminum drops, along with torque arm (attached in back).

Hey, what part of WI are you? I'm in the TC area...

I have a Cannondale and I have a Headshok, I have a Cannondale e-bike. Guess what? The Headshok is sitting in my garage and a Surly 1x1 fork is on the e-cannondale.

Just don't do it, an affordable steel fork is the cheapest insurance on the planet. You want a better ride up front? Then spend your money on a Big Apple or a Hookworm tire and you won't look back.

been there, done that, got the T-shirt. :lol:

Back