Carbon based power capacitors

guelao78

1 mW
Hi everyone,
I wanted to know what you think about these type of cells/company:
https://kurt.energy/
Apparently they can't burn, don't need a BMS and have up to 200Wh/kg.
Thanks.
Miguel

Everything can burn, under the wrong conditions. Even regular capacitors.

Beyond that, couldn't tell you anything about them.

Those look about the same as Maxwell ultracapacitors.

Specifications for 18650 cells:

2,5 V, 1,3 Ah, 3300 F nominal
Rated energy: 3,5 Wh
Energy density: 80 Wh/kg, 181 Wh/l
Comparable to LTO cells but with supercapacitor benefits
Power desnity: 1500 Wh/kg, peak 200 ms 4000 Wh/kg
19,5 C sustained capable
Operating temperature: -40 to + 80 °C
50000 cycles
Certification package available
In production

Amberwolf, while everything can burn, these cells seem to take quite some work to burn. Citing their website:
Destructive tests have demonstrated the safety of the cells: short circuit, overcharging, forced discharging, fire, drop test, nail puncture (internal short circuit), even shooting on it with a gun showed no fire and no explosion.

Fetcher, they don't seem to be the same as the Maxcell, at least the Durablue:
https://newatlas.com/energy/toomen-powercapacitors-kurt-energy-high-density-supercapacitors/
Citing:
There are currently two variants, one that prioritizes energy density and the other delivering maximum power rates. The high density cells are currently offering between 200-260 Wh/kg, with rated power densities around 300-500 W/kg. The high power cells are getting 80-100 Wh/kg, with power densities around 1,500 W/kg, peaking at up to 5,000 W/kg.
To put those numbers in context, a current model commercial ultracapacitor like the DuraBlue from Maxwell offers a much, much lower energy density of just 8-10 Wh/kg but a sky-high power density around 12,000-14,000 W/kg. A good lithium battery, on the other hand, typically offers 150-250 Wh/kg and power-wise is somewhere around the 250-350 W/kg area. So while it's clearly a trade-off between power and energy storage, the Toomen power capacitors certainly offer power advantages at the high density end of the scale, and huge density advantages at the high-power end of the scale.

guelao78 said:
Amberwolf, while everything can burn, these cells seem to take quite some work to burn. Citing their website:
Destructive tests have demonstrated the safety of the cells: short circuit, overcharging, forced discharging, fire, drop test, nail puncture (internal short circuit), even shooting on it with a gun showed no fire and no explosion.
The last "capacitor battery" a company came up with (sorry I don't recall the name) also said they were fireproof, etc., etc., but their customers had fires in the units, and I think they were even determined not to *be* capacitors, but instead to be lithium batteries, making the company scammers in multiple ways.

So please pardon me if I don't believe company blurbs. ;)

Back