charger question

gregut

10 µW
My 2.5 amp charger for my 36volt battery recently burned out and I just received my replacement charger. The previous charger would charge the battery to 44.5 V the new charger only charges to 44.1 is this a normal variance? Could this be a sign of a faulty charger or a sign of something wrong with the battery?? All the led lights come on on the BMS as they should and the charger turns off??? Anyone knowledgeable on this subject????

What is the battery chemestry? I'll simply suppose its a li-ion 11s. A 44.5v charger will charge each cell to 4,05v, a 44.1 will charge it to 4,01, the net difference is very low. Ride it some times and check what is the range difference. You could also open the new charger and look if theres any trim pot to adjust the voltage.

The charger is from Ping battery --2.5A Charger for 36V (12s) LiFePO4 Battery Packs--I monitor the charge progress and status with a "cycle analyst" meter--- again it used to go all the way to 44.5V or sometimes 44.6V ---the new charger looks a little different then the original only in the label that is affixed. I did notice on the new one there was a designation for 44.5V so I was a little perplexed why this new one only went to 44.1V again not sure if I should be concerned.

since you don't wanna say what the battery is we can only assume it is a ping 36V since you say that is where the charger came from. did the first charger die so you ended up buying a new one that doesn't charge to as high a voltage?

the 44.1V is enuff voltage to charge the ping 36V with his v2.5 signalab BMS.

if you wanna determine how the first charger died then there are simple things you can check. such as the fuse.

If you have a ping 36v lifepo4 battery, then 42v will be fully charged. The slight overcharge is to force the cells to balance a bit quicker, as the bms will start discharging the highest charged cells, while the lower charged cells keep charging.

I would not worry about it, It's getting a full charge.

Meanwhile, why not take apart the old charger and look for anything obvious such as a burnt fuse?

the ping v2.5 signalab uses 3.60V for the balancing voltage so 12x3.60V is what you need plus a little more so the 44.1V is ok.

the fuse on the kingpan is not easy to recognize since it hides under the plug on the end of the charger in that black compartment. use a screwdriver to hook the edge of it if it is stuck and pull it off.

Back