charging 12s pack

chisixer6

1 kW
I am still a little confused on charging of packs. I have 2 6s packs in series for my 36v motor.

I have a icharge 2008 (20a 8s) powered by meanwell 600watts 24v.

I want charge say two 6 cell 5a packs that was in series;

I can charge one at a time @ 5 amps 1c , or 10 amps 2c

or I can charge both 6 cells at same time, if I take the series cable off and use my paraboard hooking up the 2 packs.

Is this correct?

I can charge both at 5 amps each @ 1c or 10 amps each @2c. Is this correct?

If I charge 8 6s packs on a paraboard, but max amps will be limited to 20 amps totalor 2.5 amps each, is this correct?

thanks for you time..... Jerry

Looks right to me, but don't ask a dog to check your math on the amps you'll get. It won't be more than the power supply puts out, 600w.

Paralell the batts with the paraboard to charge em all at once, and the current will be divided between all of them equaly.

Pay attention. I fried my paraboard almost the day I got it. Started plugging in balance plugs, when the pack was still series connected. ZAP.

Dogman..........thanks, I'll keep that in mind

If you ever get tired of breaking down your 12s packs down to two 6s packs just to charge them... you can do what I do. I keep my packs at 12s while charging/balancing and I only have to deal with "one plug" to make the connection to the charger. Here's how I do it: I use Gary Goodrum's BMS boards and a Hyperion EOS 1420i charger that's capable of charging up to 14s packs. (the rest is just a copy of my post on another thread discussing the Hyperion 1420i charger)

Gary's boards and harnesses work great for a "one plug" charging and BMS replacement solution for my 12s8p (44.4v) 40Ah LiPo pack. I use his boards and 2 sets of harnesses and 2 Hyperion EOS 1420i chargers... one set for home and the other set for for the office. After my long commutes to and from work I just connect the one single VAL-U-LOCK connector and start the charger. After 3 hours the pack is charged and balanced and I just unplug the VAL-U-LOCK connector. Like Gary said "one plug charge and balance solution! No muss... no fuss".

The only change I made was to make longer 3.5 ft section of the harness (the one between charger and VAL-U-LOCK connector. The added length allows me to leave the batteries on the bike and still connect to them for charging. Thanks for the elegant solution Gary!

Here's my ebike & charging station at work. Notice the short section of harness that I replaced with a longer 3.5ft secton.
12sChargingHarnessKit-1.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

chisixer6 said:
I am still a little confused on charging of packs. I have 2 6s packs in series for my 36v motor.

I have a icharge 2008 (20a 8s) powered by meanwell 600watts 24v.

I want charge say two 6 cell 5a packs that was in series;

I can charge one at a time @ 5 amps 1c , or 10 amps 2c

or I can charge both 6 cells at same time, if I take the series cable off and use my paraboard hooking up the 2 packs.

Is this correct?

I can charge both at 5 amps each @ 1c or 10 amps each @2c. Is this correct?

If I charge 8 6s packs on a paraboard, but max amps will be limited to 20 amps totalor 2.5 amps each, is this correct?

thanks for you time..... Jerry

I use an iCharger 3010B without balancing...

Another version of the same sort of thing, is Icecubes paralell / series harness set. For non balancing charges, it's a simple one plug setup for switching between paralell to charge at 6s, and series to run 12s. I have one, and it works great.

I got a battery medic ($20.00) + $5.00 shipping from methods. Very fast shipping. I'm still waiting for one I ordered from Hobby King and I ordered it before I ordered from methods. Go to his website http://www.methtek.com/ You might have to email him for that. I check all cells before bulk charging and after with it. It only take maybe 30 seconds to check 4 packs. It will check up to six cells or 6s at a time. Very handy device to help with lipo safety. It can be used to balance also by discharging unbalanced cells I believe but I have never used it for that.

Back