Cheap Lifepo4 - group buy?

leamcorp

100 W
I'm not sure where to put this - so if this doesn't belong here, please move it to right section.

Disclaimer - I'm not in anyway associated with this deal/vendor or getting anything out of this - I don't even want to be part of this - just passing information.

I've recently bought a 36v-15ah Lifepo4 battery from a Ebay vendor (not ping - Chinese though). Well, I've decided to get another battery, but saw that Ebay prices have gone up a bit (bid on few but didn't win). Well I decided to contact the original seller and offered a price - and he accepted. The price I've offered was cheaper than recent prices on Ebay.

Well, I paid him for that offer, but out of curiosity, I sent him another email and asked if he could do a cheaper price if there were more people. He said okay, but for larger number of people than what I originally suggested... Here's what he is willing to do,

1) about 20 batteries (or 20 orders)
2) this is for 48v 20ah Lifepo4
3) Price = $500 + shipping
4) Shipping could be combined (then split in US), but express shipping is $120.

I thought this was excellent price. Let me know if you are interested and I'll pass the info (I don't want to be a point man for this... just initial contact).

Edit: I forgot, this vendor does custom works. For example, I wanted 2 blocks of battery so that I could split the mount (left/right pannier).

Edit 2: Send a email to chan71@gmail.com (Jimmywu) and put a "endless battery deal" on your subject line.

I'd be interested for sure. Given that you've used his products already, any word on the quality? must be at least decent since you're a repeat customer, right?

pizark said:
I'd be interested for sure. Given that you've used his products already, any word on the quality? must be at least decent since you're a repeat customer, right?

Initially, there was a mix-up with shipping. I've received another customers' battery while that person got mine. We've shipped the battery to each other with seller paying both shipping. Also, I wanted to make the BMS cable longer and he was willing to send me a longer version. I've decided against it, but he was willing to help. I believe if there's any issue, he will follow through with help.

As for the battery - probably same as Ping or close to it? I'm fairly new to this - so I can't say if this is good or bad battery. Seems bit more peppier than my SLA and lasts much longer. According to my CA, it ticks north of 40a for short period of time, but typically stays around 20-30a (Ezip controller?).

Is it okay to put his name/contact info here? I'll just ask him to look for emails with a specific subject line? How'bout "Endless deal" and you deal with him individually. Make sure you post here if he deviate from this price.

By the way, I'm not getting this deal - I've actually paid $600+shipping but will probably get another one in the future.

I'm in too. Link us to the Ebay vendor, so we can at least see a bit of history and info about the packs/cells, and I too would like a pack split in half even if it's a single BMS.

well, there are only 3 or 4 lifepo4 vendors on ebay, ping being one of them, jimmywu66 being the other, luckybbd being another, eastunitedmusic, and someother one, so it's not too hard to figure out which one it might be. I figure it's the eastunitedmusic or jimmywu66 vendor, as there was only one or two 36v/15ah batts sold recently. only ping and jimmy have some selling history so far.

anyways, I'd be interested.

I guess its okay to post name/address - I didn't want to break any rules but someone already mentioned it...

Send a email to chan71@gmail.com (Jimmywu) and put a "endless battery deal" on your subject line.

I'm not sure how he is going to handle this - but he did say $500, so make him stick with that. I want to get another one at that price too.

Here's a longer cable he is making for left/right block. I wanted a detachable cable for easier routing/removal.

cable.jpg

leamcorp,

Please give us a link to an Ebay listing too, so we can do whatever due diligence is possible. I don't mind rolling the chinese dice, but I do like to minimize risk.

John

John in CR said:
leamcorp,

Please give us a link to an Ebay listing too, so we can do whatever due diligence is possible. I don't mind rolling the chinese dice, but I do like to minimize risk.

John

This is one of his listing - http://cgi.ebay.com/48V10AH-LiFePO4-Electric-Scooter-E-Bike-Li-Fe-Battery_W0QQitemZ290247301692QQihZ019QQcategoryZ11332QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

He doesn't have any 48v 20ah list at the moment.

I am sorely tempted. Has anybody else had dealings with this seller, and what have the packs been like ? I like the thought of a battery that is not made of foil pouches.

These look like a pile of paralell 18650 cells.. this has been showing up a bit too much on power assist as well as other places. I'd like to see one of these packs opend up by a customer and inspected ( with lots of pictures of the handy work ) .. i dunno.. i get the impressions someone is trying to boost sales with ficticious buyers..

Hey Leam.. got a digicam ? :mrgreen:

Ypedal said:
These look like a pile of paralell 18650 cells.. this has been showing up a bit too much on power assist as well as other places. I'd like to see one of these packs opend up by a customer and inspected ( with lots of pictures of the handy work ) .. i dunno.. i get the impressions someone is trying to boost sales with ficticious buyers..

Hey Leam.. got a digicam ? :mrgreen:

Hope you're not calling me a fictitious - I couldn't care less if you buy them or not and can't tell you what cells these are, I'm just passing what I thought was a good bargain. Go look at my limited posts to see if the Chinese could be that elaborate in their scheme...

Yes, I got a digicam. However, I'm not sure if I'll go through all that trouble of opening it up and messing up something. I will if you give me a some sort of guarantee that I wouldn't mess up anything and back up what I've paid for my 36v, which is $450. If not, don't buy it - I'm a noob and happy with what I perceived as a good buy. I could be wrong, but its life.

cheers.

jimmywu66 has sold quite a few lifepo4 batteries on ebay, but not as many as ping. I doubt jimmywu66 would need to create an elaborate scheme to boost sales. Maybe some of the newer lifepo4 vendors might need this kind of scheme.

btw what is the difference in the various lifepo4 cells? There are a123 cells, and 18650 cells, what are the differences?

Ypedal said:
I have spent many 1000 's of $$$ testing batteries so far, i'm not new to this game.... and instead of buying yet another pack to disect, can we at least see what you received ? :wink: at least from the outside !!

Here are some pics. Again, I don't have a problem opening things up - but I'm a noob and don't really feel like box-knifing the duct tape. Oh, I've spent couple of thousands in last few weeks. I've thought I'll start with Ezip at $350, then all of sudden, I have to have more - so I'm buying bunch of hub kits and Lifepo4 batteries. Still, it doesn't come close to what I've spent on my road bikes...

Attachments

• pics 001.jpg
    pics 001.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 2,050
  • pics 002.jpg
    pics 002.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 2,049
  • pics 003.jpg
    pics 003.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 2,039
why the HELL are all those frickin battery packs wrapped in duct tape!

Come on, ever hear of heat shrink? They make it in large sizes too....

it just doesn't look that professional... in fact, it looks like someone made it in their dorm room.

I like the duct tape. Makes them look far less valuable than they are. Down here if it looks good someone will be looking to steal it, but if it looks home or college dorm room made they won't bother. The last thing I need is expensive looking batteries.

Come on, ever hear of heat shrink?

Ping's batteries are held together with duct tape and everyone loves his products. I just ordered a 36v15ah jimmywu battery on ebay, too and am expecting it to arrive in a week or two. I plan to post my review after I have tried it out. I got mine for $419, including shipping, but that was by winning a bid. The best "buy it now" price is significantly higher. On good thing about this battery so far is that he gave me a choice of geometry, which is good if you need to fit it into a specific size.

frodus said:

Come on, ever hear of heat shrink? They make it in large sizes too....

it just doesn't look that professional... in fact, it looks like someone made it in their dorm room.

Actually I did that - to see if it will fit on the bag, with later plan for better housing.

But jeesh - its a $300-400 battery, not $1000's one from Ebike or other top end vendors. Don't care what it looks like inside the bag as long as it works.

leamcorp said:
... Here's what he is willing to do,

Send a email to chan71@gmail.com (Jimmywu) and put a "endless battery deal" on your subject line.

Any particular time frame or expiration date for this deal? I'm certainly interested in one, maybe two if I have time.

DCM said:
leamcorp said:
... Here's what he is willing to do,

Any particular time frame or expiration date for this deal? I'm certainly interested in one, maybe two if I have time.

I'm not sure how Jimmywu is handling this and kind of sorry that I started this since I'm not handling the process. All I did was asked and didn't think about the next step. I guess if you wrote to Jimmywu, post it here so that everyone can see how many there are in reserve (use a number).

Here's what I'm asking Jimmywu to make for me. He sometimes doesn't seem to understand so hopefully he get it from this diagram. Let me know if you think this is doable.

This is the 48v 2 pack configuration with enough cabling for left/right mounting

battery1.jpg

Same battery - split into 24v

battery2.jpg

leamcorp,

If you're running at 48, my suggestion would be two 48v10ah packs. That's what I asked him for, along with a price for an extra BMS. To me that offers more flexibility, so you can run a short range 48v pack for errands. You'll likely never use a 24v pack solo, but you might find a 48v useful. Of course, I'm already running at 72V and once I get my geared torque motor for take-offs and hill climbing for my rear motor to go with my front speed hub , I'll likely want to bump up to 84v, if this deal goes through. I can't wait for separately controllable all wheel drive on my ebike. :twisted:

John

John in CR said:
leamcorp,

If you're running at 48, my suggestion would be two 48v10ah packs. That's what I asked him for, along with a price for an extra BMS. To me that offers more flexibility, so you can run a short range 48v pack for errands.
John

by splitting them up would you put each battery pack on each side of the bike's rack and put them inside panniers? or would you still put them on the rack one on top of each other. ?

by putting them side by side in the panniers, you lower your centre of gravity a bit, making it bit more stable. but I am wondering if the panniers will be able to hold them securely, as right now they are only clipped on the rack .

ty cohen said:
John in CR said:
leamcorp,

If you're running at 48, my suggestion would be two 48v10ah packs. That's what I asked him for, along with a price for an extra BMS. To me that offers more flexibility, so you can run a short range 48v pack for errands.
John

by splitting them up would you put each battery pack on each side of the bike's rack and put them inside panniers? or would you still put them on the rack one on top of each other. ?

by putting them side by side in the panniers, you lower your centre of gravity a bit, making it bit more stable. but I am wondering if the panniers will be able to hold them securely, as right now they are only clipped on the rack .

Sorry, I don't have a pannier - rather, I have one of those metal baskets that folds on each side. The basket is quite large and deep - so I'm hoping to use it to haul lots of stuff for work - mostly bringing boxes to local post office. The batteries don't weight much, about 11lb each on either side - I believe these baskets are capable of much more.

I've received a email from JimmyWu and he basically said he will need 20 order at once, not individually. So unless people get together here first, it seems like he doesn't want individual emails. For individual order, he said he will do what I've paid - which was mentioned already. So unless someone wants to be a point man - sorry for lots of chatter.

Back