Chevy Bolt first drive

On 08-05-22 we got our monthly Diagnostic Report email from OnStar. It said our battery pack was AOK, just as it says every month. Only one problem with that...our cell group #47 fell off the cliff that day. The total highest-to-lowest cell group delta for the five plus years we have owned this car was 0.025 volts, from 100% SoC to 5% SoC across 96 cell groups. Cell group #47 is now 0.026 volts below the AVERAGE cell voltage. GM has decided "This is fine."

We will limp along with this original pack until GM solves the software bugs they have introduced into the fire recall battery packs they are making. The new software can brick the car at any time. They can reload the software to clear the fault, but it can return at any time. God only knows when they will figure out the problem. :roll:

I did not know about the J1772 plugs welding to the inlet. Set my home up with a 240v 40a charge station and have been using it for over 3yrs with out issue. Now i'm going to worry. Bought a Leaf S but someone had the high speed charger added to the car, not counting the DC charge option which it also has.

Note: high speed charger for 2013. Would not consider it high speed now.

Have you thought about up grading to a newer model when the new rebates come out from the FED?
My car is 9yrs old now and the battery is around 70%. Can still get 60 miles vs 80 when new. Starting to think about a battery swap vs a newer EV.

by Warren » Jun 26 2022 10:14am

I just read Karl's piece on guerrilla charging his Bolt. I like it all, but would warn about the Mustart EVSE. The early ones, at least, were not safe. They did not have the resistor which signals their amp limit to the car's onboard charger. The J1772 plugs were not rated for the 32 amps the Bolt can pull. This meant they could weld themselves to the car's inlet. Not only was the EVSE plug ruined, but the charge inlet of the cars as well. This repair is not cheap, and not paid for by Mustart

ZeroEm said:
Have you thought about up grading to a newer model when the new rebates come out from the FED?

No. The original Bolt LT was exactly what I wanted. They have removed stuff like rear door buttons, and seatback map pocket, and added stuff I have no use for, like a power seat for the driver, and driver assist...extra crap to go wrong.

I really like my Leaf except the range. Might be because it's my first EV car. It's supposed to be the base S model but has features of the upper level. Bought it because i'm big and it fits me and enjoy sitting in it.

It has a 7.5 Kw charger, heated steering wheel and front seats. In winter you can turn on the heaters and go. warm hands and butt makes you forget it's cold.

Was looking at the new models and they offer things that I have no use for. To get what I have now would need to get at least the next level but will be forced to pay for things I don't want. Do want a heat pump and get away from the electric heater.

Thinking about just replacing the battery and maybe get one of them up grades to 30 or 40kw as it's only a 24kw traction battery.
I drive it twice a month and my mother about every 2-4 days. Think it only has 24k miles on it. and is like new on the inside with a few scrapes on the outside. Still looks good when waxed.

Are you attached to yours yet?

I really like my Leaf, except the range

The affordability of the Leaf and the reputation of the Nissan name has made the Leaf the most sold EV right now. Tesla gets most of publicity and buzz, but as much as a lot of people would "like" to buy a Tesla, the prices are a significant barrier, even with state and federal rebates.

The Leaf battery pack is my number-one choice if I was shopping for a home power backup system. The threaded lugs make configuration pretty easy.

spinningmagnets said:
The affordability of the Leaf and the reputation of the Nissan name has made the Leaf the most sold EV right now.

What? Not in the new car market. There are 110K Bolts recalled for new batteries, in the US alone...140K globally. These were all sold since December of 2016.

Nissan sold 173,332 LEAFs in the US since December 2010. Since the Bolt, Niro, and Kona came out, Leaf sales have been abysmal.

They are a great used car buy, and the battery modules are the most DIY friendly around.

Tesla sales are an order of magnitude above all other makes combined.

If working everyday was a thing and living in this hot climate I would shop around more for a EV. The only thing that bothers me is no cooling or heating for the traction battery. I try not to drive it above 100 F. Charged it up to 100% and the computer guess at 67 miles of range. Guess that will do me for now!

Been a while checking the sales of EV's. I would be happy just getting another leaf. But this car with a fresh battery may last until I give up on driving a Car. Don't like driving them now. Need a Peble with heated seats and doors for the winter.

I'm glad that the Leaf EV is getting some competition, and thats a good thing. What I mean to say is that since 2010, Nissan has sold over 500,000 Leaf EV's globally.

That being said, I like the Chevy Bolt, and I wish it continued success...

spinningmagnets said:
What I mean to say is that since 2010, Nissan has sold over 500,000 Leaf EV's globally.

I'm not trying to be obnoxious, but Tesla sold 1,917,450 globally up to this year, and 564,743 globally in H1 if 2022. They will be at 2 million a year run rate by the end of this year. I just think folks need to understand how far ahead Tesla is. The real question is: How many legacy OEMs will go bankrupt trying to make the transition?

Warren said:
spinningmagnets said:
What I mean to say is that since 2010, Nissan has sold over 500,000 Leaf EV's globally.

I'm not trying to be obnoxious, but Tesla sold 1,917,450 globally up to this year, and 564,743 globally in H1 if 2022. They will be at 2 million a year run rate by the end of this year. I just think folks need to understand how far ahead Tesla is. The real question is: How many legacy OEMs will go bankrupt trying to make the transition?

They're still not making profit like they're making cars, and when the chump investor money runs out they will have to support their activities with actual net revenue. I don't think they have yet made a strong case they can do that.

I mean, I hope that the major manufacturers of stinking gas cars all go broke, but Tesla is a lot closer to going broke first, because it's a speculative house of cards.

Seen the ELF first, but watch as they had money issues and now not sure if they are still in business. Peble was production during this time and seems to still be around. They even sell used Pebles. They are using a mac as a mid drive or were. Need a back seat but would like to give up the Car and get a Peble and use Uber or rent a car for longer trips. Been two years the last time I needed something that went farther. Now there is more charging stations.

Myself don't know which EV is the best Nissan started early did not try to compete with the top of the line EV's. Supposed to have been the Model T of EV's but sales did not take off. While shopping a few years ago there was just no EV's here in San Antonio maybe two or three. My car the dealer was using it as they do Golf carts to run around the lot. They tried to talk me out of it. Just need a 40 kw traction battery.

Would not discount Tesla. They have did what they set out to do. That was to show everyone that EV's are not slow and unusable.

One thing to remember is the bigger the battery pack the more amps. Car makers are making it available to the driver for torque.
The newer leaf's have 50% more power than mine. I keep traction lock engaged and in ECO mode as not to spin the front tires when taking off a little to fast. Do have narrow 15" tires and the newer leaf's have 17" as I remember.

I'm shocked anyone is still calling Tesla a pyramid scheme. Their problem now, is Elon's behavior and their production constrains.

There's actually a local in my City who owns an ELF; super wild in the midwest, i've seen him in normal 35mph traffic which seems absurd.

"ELF" Must have been in off road mode 1500w and maybe the 100 mile battery.

Go talk to the ELF owner and report back!

by CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING » Aug 13 2022 2:59pm

I'm shocked anyone is still calling Tesla a pyramid scheme. Their problem now, is Elon's behavior and their production constrains.

There's actually a local in my City who owns an ELF; super wild in the midwest, i've seen him in normal 35mph traffic which seems absurd.

There is a guy in Charlottesville area with two ELFs. He bought his second one from a woman we met at a Bernie rally, back in 2015. She moved to central America when Trump got elected, and he bought it.

The newer LEAFs use the same 17" Michelin tires a the Bolt.

Are they the, ECO tires or energy efficient ones, not sure the terminology. Leaf moved away from the small 15". First they wanted to charge extra for the larger wheels. As the battery packs increased in size they needed the ground clearance.

by Warren » Aug 13 2022 4:43pm

There is a guy in Charlottesville area with two ELFs. He bought his second one from a woman we met at a Bernie rally, back in 2015. She moved to central America when Trump got elected, and he bought it.

The newer LEAFs use the same 17" Michelin tires a the Bolt.

calab said:
How old would you go when it comes to these Bolts or in general?

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the very first one made. All are getting new batteries, with new warranties anyway. Our 2017 is one of the first, built 12/16. Everything just works. Have added a gallon of windshield washer fluid, rotated tires 5 times, in five years. Just replaced all 4 tires with new OEM Michelins, at 46K miles. These were cheap, from Insurance Institute wrecks, just up the road from us. If I was buying at retail, I would go for the ones without the self-sealing goop...cheaper and lighter. We carry a full sized OEM wheel and tire for a spare.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Energy+Saver+A%2FS&width=215%2F&ratio=50&diameter=17&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=2017&autoModel=Bolt+EV&autoModClar=

I wanted to, but...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 1.51.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 1.51.21 PM.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 3,190
Chalo said:
Warren said:
spinningmagnets said:

They're still not making profit like they're making cars, and when the chump investor money runs out they will have to support their activities with actual net revenue. I don't think they have yet made a strong case they can do that.

I mean, I hope that the major manufacturers of stinking gas cars all go broke, but Tesla is a lot closer to going broke first, because it's a speculative house of cards.

Do you have a short position on TSLA?

Lowell said:
Chalo said:

Do you have a short position on TSLA?

I don't have any speculative investments, short or long.

Back