• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Cleancarb of Luxembourg offering Kokam,Yuntong,Thundersky

Lock

100 MW
No hits on ES for this company, so just thought I'd post here as they appear to be retailing Kokams with cells up to 240Ah in stock...
http://www.cleancarb.com/

They also say they represent YUNTONG Power Co.,... and Maxwell Ultracaps.

tks
Lock

olaf-lampe said:
Thanks Lock,
they were unknown to me too.
Regarding Kokam: they now have a residence in Paris, France themselves. Makes no sense to buy them from a Luxembourg reseller, though.

-Olaf

I talked with THE guy from Kokam France about batteries for my new BIG project but they don't stock large cells and I am not sure they would sell to private customers in small quantities anyway. He said he would need to contact Kokam Korea about it as all cells are manufactured and stored there. I think it is a matter of years untill Kokam France will be "operational". The plan is that Kokam France will only be building packs for mass orders from Europe from the cells produced in Korea.

You guys would be interested get some of them in case I have too many for my project :idea: ?

Positive report about Cleancarb re Kokams:
[electricPPG] Kokam batteries available
Friday, November 11, 2011 3:21 PM
To: electricPPG@yahoogroups.com

I wanted to post that I found a source for Kokam large format batteries, other than Flytec (Switzerland) and Electravia (France), both of which inflate their battery prices dramatically. The source is www.cleancarb.com. Although not in the US (they're out of Luxembourg) they have quoted me a very reasonable price for a pack.

Some may wonder why pursue the large format cells vs. a large complicated mess (can you tell I'm biased?) of RC lipos. Number one is quality, number two is cycle life, number three is safety. I've been using large format Kokams in my self-designed electric car for about 4 years now. During that time I've damaged a few cells and the failure mechanism was benign (no fire or smoke), as reported by Kokam. The cycle life is 800+ cycles, about 4 times that of RC lipos. The BMS is greatly simplified too. You can use a balancing RC charger, or a full BMS (www.elithion.com) for complete control and safeguard of the pack, which if used need only require a "dumb" charger like the Zivan chargers. In my experience with RC batts and large format cells w/ BMS, the choice is overwhelmingly in favor of large format cells. The upfront cost is obviously higher, but you'd pay for 4 RC lipo solutions before equaling the cost of the Kokams. There's a reason for Flytec and Electravia are doing the same thing.

Just my humble opinion. Hope this helps the ePPG movement.

HHHMmmmMMm...... interesting stuff.

I calculated what a 10S 10AH pack would weigh, in the 'high energy density' type of Kokam..
5.13lbs.
Versus 5.6lbs for lipo.

Considering this is only 1C, that is not that great. BUT.. it is probably safer and has much better cycle life. We really do need more than 1C though.

Now the high power cells..

6lbs for 10ah ( 40ah / 4, just to get theoretical weight )
Versus 5.6lbs for lipo.

That's 5C stuff.. lasts longer.. but... blah.

OK, so Dow Kokam isn't that great. We already have it quite good with RC lipo, aside from cycle life.
The yuntong batteries are about as heavy as pings.

This is an interesting find, but i just can't 'get it up' for these cells.

I have a price quote for the kokam NMC cells:

16 Ah 50€

25 Ah 78 €

seems quite expensive still.
best,
sokon

i dont know why, but the Kokam cell 55205130H @ 11AH and 55amp continuous, 110amp peak seems like a really nice cell for a mid range Ebike. I know they would suite me with my current power requirements IF the specs were legit.

12 of these would be 44v nominal and 11AH at ~7.9lbs. Now, if you could rig up a couple of 6S balance taps to this pack then you would not need a BMS (you could use a lipo board from the guys on ES), only cell monitoring would be needed and a current limit via controller or CA.

admittedly the rest of the batteries are either 2 small to be of much use or 2 big for an Ebike but with 2 low of an amp output for any serious EV i think with the exception of the 100AH "80460330H" with 500amps continuous and 800amps peak but then the 800+ cycles are not that attractive for a large EV pack.

Back