cleaning off an oil cooled controller for repair

auraslip

10 MW
Hi, I soaked my controller in baby oil to cool it. The results were great, but something popped in the controller and now I need to work on it. Can I soak it in rubbing alcohol to get the oil off of it? If not that, hopefully something around the house can be used. Thanks.

Not sure if water-free alcohol can be used, but pretty sure that common alcohol, which has a certain percentage of water, can't be used, else it might end up damaging the circuit

Alcohol is a solvent - I would stay away.

Go to the auto store and get a spray can of Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Cleaner. It's safe for plastics and electronics and degreases really well.

I use isopropanol / rubbing alcohol for repairing water damaged cellphone motherboards and it works just fine, just keep it away from foam as it melts it.

Years ago in the vacuum tub era the electronics were force cooled, lots of dust etc. coated the parts inside the chassis , the assembly's were washed with a detergent and distilled water using a air/water suction sprayer, then rinsed/sprayed with plain distilled water, set in a box with a heater that did not take the assembly over 150f~ for a day or so.

Go with MAF spray if you can, OR CRC electronics parts cleaner. It should be available in the same section of the Auto Parts store and it should look similar.

MAF spray is harder to get in some places and considered HAZMAT so they will not ship it (not sure why) as opposed to electronics cleaner. And since you're not dealing with a uber sensitive piece like a Mass AirFlow Sensor, the electronics cleaner might be the easier way to go.

Ya - what he said....

Electronics parts cleaner is a very good choice, but it's not as readily available locally around here, so I went with the MAF recommendation.... :D

Used the electric cleaner stuff from the automotive store. Now it smells like a baby dumped in chemicals.

But another problem has shown up lol

The bottom of every cap on the controller has swollen. In some cases it has popped the caps off the board!

I guess I need to swap out every electrolytic cap now? :(

How do people soak their computers in oil if this is what it does to caps?

That was a result of the electronic cleaner? :shock:

Apparently baby oil is made from "Mineral Oil, Aloe Vera Extract, Vitamin E, Acetate, Fragrance", id say it was one of the extras causing it, as the pc guys use plain ol mineral oil or veg oil.

Back