Clicking Noise from Hub

cyb3rl4d

100 µW
Hi All,

I'm hoping someone may be able to tell me if my hub should be making this clicking noise, can you tell me if this is normal please?
Not the cassette doing its normal bike clicks but at 9 seconds at the start you can hear the hub doing its clicking (at 10 seconds it goes away), when I pedal its quite loud as the cassette isn't covering up the noise as its doing its clicking. Its a QS Hub

New Recording 11.wav

Once I get to a higher speed I don't hear it, but I wanted to make sure that its to be expected and there isnt something wrong with the hub. I've confirmed all of the phases are connected correctly, etc. I've also had a listen to the other clicking noise recordings on here but they arnt the same, as far as I can tell.

Thanks so much in advance!!

Check the spoke tension. It could be from a loose spoke or uneven tension causing the hub to go out of round.
I also had a noise like that once caused by a cracked rim.

Check the spoke tension. It could be from a loose spoke or uneven tension causing the hub to go out of round.
I also had a noise like that once caused by a cracked rim.
amazing thanks I'll focus on the rim, never thought of that!!!

There are too many sounds happening for me to tell.

If you pull the chain away from the sprockets so the freewheel mechanism is not involved at all (the cassette will spin with the motor), it would help.

If you have rim brakes, ensuring the pads are not touching the rim will also help. If it's disc,then it's harder to see, but you can pull the caliper off the frame temporarily to test that they're not touching the rotor.

Once you do that you can also record at different points--once at the axle, once at the rim, and then you can tell more of which portion the sound is coming from.

Last edited:
Lots of layers. I hear the derailleur, the brake, the motor ramping up, and the other ticking (that you are talking about). It is more profound at lower RPM. I don’t exactly what that is, but it sounds like metal to metal contact.

How does it sound when you manually rotate the wheel? Do you still hear the clicking?

That ring-tingle-ling sure sounds like a piece of metal drumming on another piece. Yeah, I would suspect the freewheel also. I'd also inspect and regrease the hub.

I bought a brand new 3,000 w hub motor kit for $345 shipped to my house. What a deal. Everything but tire tube and battery. It's a Sali motor kit.
First thing I did was put it on a chewing stand and try to tighten what spokes were loose they are all tightened to the Max 12 gauge. So I retightened all the loose spokes and the noise went away.
I didn't have brakes hooked up as their rim brakes and the rims not compatible for rim brakes. And when I've tried to put the seven speed Freewheel in and install it the motor wouldn't spin I think I just had bad size spacers inside the Free Will that locked it up so I ran it with no free will or gear on the rear. So no chain no .
So I'm doing talk to text.

Sometimes it's very hard to run down the noise.
So good luck.

Last edited:
is it a wavy disc brake on that,ive had the same with the brake pad retaining pin rubbing on the wavy lumps on the outer edge of the disc,cured by some washers/shims under the caliper bracket!.,mine was caused by going from 165mm discs to 205mm lol.

Thanks so much for your responses and very fair point on too much going on :) I’ve made two recordings the first one is when under load (when I’m on the bike) the second is when it’s off the floor with chain unhooked.

Does this help zero in on what it might be? Thanks so much all!!!

On bike
Off bike

Thanks

There are too many sounds happening for me to tell.

If you pull the chain away from the sprockets so the freewheel mechanism is not involved at all (the cassette will spin with the motor), it would help.

If you have rim brakes, ensuring the pads are not touching the rim will also help. If it's disc,then it's harder to see, but you can pull the caliper off the frame temporarily to test that they're not touching the rotor.

Once you do that you can also record at different points--once at the axle, once at the rim, and then you can tell more of which portion the sound is coming from.
Thanks so much great idea with the chain never thought of that doh! :) I’ve made two more recordings thanks

I bought a brand new 3,000 w hub motor kit for $345 shipped to my house. What a deal. Everything but tire tube and battery. It's a Sali motor kit.
First thing I did was put it on a chewing stand and try to tighten what spokes were loose they are all tightened to the Max 12 gauge. So I retightened all the loose spokes and the noise went away.
I didn't have brakes hooked up as their rim brakes and the rims not compatible for rim brakes. And when I've tried to put the seven speed Freewheel in and install it the motor wouldn't spin I think I just had bad size spacers inside the Free Will that locked it up so I ran it with no free will or gear on the rear. So no chain no .
So I'm doing talk to text.

Sometimes it's very hard to run down the noise.
So good luck.
Thanks so much I’m thinking I might have to take it all apart and try the hub on its own on a bench. I built the wheel myself lol!!

Lots of layers. I hear the derailleur, the brake, the motor ramping up, and the other ticking (that you are talking about). It is more profound at lower RPM. I don’t exactly what that is, but it sounds like metal to metal contact.

How does it sound when you manually rotate the wheel? Do you still hear the clicking?
Yeah too much going on thanks I’ve done another recording as suggested. Manually rotating the wheel no sound thanks for your help

is it a wavy disc brake on that,ive had the same with the brake pad retaining pin rubbing on the wavy lumps on the outer edge of the disc,cured by some washers/shims under the caliper bracket!.,mine was caused by going from 165mm discs to 205mm lol.
I have 205s on too! I don’t think it could be that but at this stage im willing to try anything so I might take off the break/disc and try again! :)

Really sounds like it could be the rotors. The rotors are rounded, and that sound would not be hard metal edges, there would more click/clang. That is a smooth contact sound. Rotors would give that sound as well.

Here's a picture of my 1500 watt edge motor the bearing was spinning in the side plate of the bearing should be pressed into the side plate and the axle and the bearing itself rotates this was a brand new motor bought in the es group cell and the motor was a piece of s*** he gave me another motor and I had to use two motors to make one. This motor deal was supposed to be a special thing with a little room stator and on paper it was the bomb because it was lighter weight but it was a mess of the motor at least the guy came through and gave me another motor.

Attachments

• 20170809_140724.jpg
    20170809_140724.jpg
    518.3 KB · Views: 4
Back