Controller has "wheel lock" like glitch.

Skedgy Sky

100 W
[youtube]sG-s4KwVHAk[/youtube]

This is the controller Lyen sent back to me in (supposedly) repaired condition. I noticed his test video don't use high voltage, like we put through the controllers. It worked for 20 seconds and suddenly wheel locked up and I lost throttle control.
It's been a few days now, and seems like Lyen has decided to stop helping me with this issue, and I'd like to have my bike running.
So now onto you guys. . .

The controller blew low side fets on phase C. I suspect something around that area is the issue.
Please watch the video to see what the controller is doing.

I have been measuring resistances around gate driver area.
There is one reading that's different than the other 2 phases. I get .5ish Mohms between source and gate on low side of phase C, while 3.6Mohms on other two phases. I replaced the driver component and still have the same reading. Maybe I can't identify which component is giving me this different reading?

Edit: I disabled wheel lock and reprogrammed controller. Problem went away, but no throttle response.
I enabled wheel lock again. Problem came back... controller is trying to lock motor into same position (I unplugged power to prevent blown fets).

why are you measuring the resistance between the source and gate? why should lyen respond anyway? are you implying that he did not fix it so now you hold him responsible for it failing while you were using it? so now you come here to publicize it in order to intimidate him or embarrass him into doing what you were not able to force him to do already?

dnmun said:
why are you measuring the resistance between the source and gate? why should lyen respond anyway? are you implying that he did not fix it so now you hold him responsible for it failing while you were using it? so now you come here to publicize it in order to intimidate him or embarrass him into doing what you were not able to force him to do already?

1. I'm measuring resistance around gate driver area for signs of damaged components.
2. It really is his choice to help others, but I did pay to have it fixed.
3. He fixed it but something must have been wrong somewhere. I watched his video, worked fine at the low voltage he tested it at. I plugged it in on my setup and it worked for first 20 seconds, then something happened and controller is locking wheel in place. I did not change anything or touch the controller in my case. Only difference between mine and lyen's test is that he ran his at a low voltage (and obviously, different motor). My phase and hall combinations haven't changed and are correct.
4. I'm seeking help, not forcing anyone to do anything.

how does measuring the resistance on the source gate tell you anything? the gate is insulated from the source by the gate oxide. should be good to 20V. but you measured something around 1MR. is the mosfet functional? did you use the diode tester on the source drain to see if the body diode is intact? but it doesn't look like it is a mosfet.

what is a mosfet doing there so maybe it is a bipolar transistor? and so that 2K2R surface mount is in the base leg?

dnmun said:
how does measuring the resistance on the source gate tell you anything? the gate is insulated from the source by the gate oxide. should be good to 20V. but you measured something around 1MR. is the mosfet functional? did you use the diode tester on the source drain to see if the body diode is intact? but it doesn't look like it is a mosfet.

Well I'm not too knowledgeable with electronics at the component level so not sure why I get different value across phases... that's why I was measuring source and gate.
Yes, Mosfet is functional, in fact... I just got the controller to spin the motor with wheel lock disabled in software (I discovered my throttle line broke from handling after I changed controller settings 20 minutes ago).

what is a mosfet doing there so maybe it is a bipolar transistor? and so that 2K2R surface mount is in the base leg?
I don't quite understand. :?:

For now will retry reprogramming wheel lock functionality to verify issue is still there. *One moment*
Ok. Wheel locks up on controller power on when wheel lock is enabled in software.
If wheel lock is disabled in software, controller appears to work.

Strange because I don't have the TB pad making contact with ground on the controller.
I guess the controller is usable this way, after I put 3 new FETs in. ... wheel lock gave me trouble in the past (blew a couple controllers) so maybe I don't need it all that much.

Just a bit afraid of using the controller if it's doing strange things like this. Input would still be appreciated if anyone has any idea why the controller would be in wheel-lock mode upon powering up. :)
Else, I'll be fine using it with the feature disabled.

I can never understand people who expect answers so quickly from the one man businesses like you think you should get. They have other people they are doing work for too, why should everyone else have to wait because you think your problem is the most important thing he has to do?
As an example- he has my controller for diagnostics and repair- should I expect him to drop everything else for me? You wouldn't be happy if he did that but you seem to think that is what he should do for you.

And he deserves time off, a social life. This is a weekend- why do you expect 24/7/365 service? I'd betyou have time off from your work?

Back