Could removing steel lower kv of motor?

hillzofvalp

100 kW
Hmm. Recently I milled the inside profile of my stator from my cromotor to prep it for a snug fitting water cooling channel ring.

Ever since I did this I have noticed my top speed come down about 2mph or 8%. Could this be from less iron losses? Does this greatly affect kv? I estimate that I took off no more than 12.38 cm^3 of the steel from both sides' IDs combined.

If you milled the actual stator iron you could have shorted the lams together, that would be bad. If anything removing iron would probably increase the Kv.

I just milled the stamped painted inner part? I assumed the walls were thicker than .09" or so. I would notice if I went all the way through, right?

file.php

hillzofvalp said:
I just milled the stamped painted inner part? I assumed the walls were thicker than .09" or so. I would notice if I went all the way through, right?

file.php
If you remove steal from the lams you will raise the kv. What is your unloaded max rpm amps before and after? If you shorted the lams you will have higher amp draw. Otherwise whats the possibility something is not lined up as good as it used to be??

Doesn't look like you have gotten into the lams, I think it's something else.

Back