Crystalyte 5303 Bicycle Hub Motor Chasing Cars at 70kph

diaw

1 µW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5sa6fC5Hig

72V 40Ah Lifepo4 battery pack from

diawwang@yahoo.com.cn

Must... go... faster...

Hi

Yes nice bike! and a cool video, bike is plenty fast as well, word of warning though, get at least one good solid torque arm on that front fork, else it will turn and rip out the wires, worse case it will snap off.

It so important when running that kind of power to fit a torque arm or even 2 when you are going to 72V 40A, so many people learn the hard way.

A kill switch is also a good idea, you can wire it in to the brake circuit of the controller, those cheap xlyte throttles and the cruise controls have been known to stay on!!

Keep safe and please more vids!

Knoxie

Hello All,

I'm posting a reference for Diaw, who I bought the 72 volt, 40 aH LiFePo4 battery from; for my bike that has been posted here.

Diaw's battery is incredible. It's reliable, charges in about 3 hours and delivers me enough power to ride around at 40 to 50 mph (60 to 90km/h) for roughly 100 miles (160 kms) of distance. It can easily deliver 3000 watts continuously, which is more power than many can handle when riding my bike. Most people have jumped on the bike for a ride, go up and down the block, and tell me that they feel like they are riding a regular gas motorcycle. The accelaration is great, and the bike can travel some serious distances (over 100 miles / 160 kms) on one charge.

The battery was shipped from China without any issues, and took only a couple of weeks to be built and sent to me in Canada. The price of the battery included shipping costs.

There were no import duties to pay. I only had to pay our local provincial and federal tax, which is unavoidable when having any goods shipped into Canada.

The battery has produced some impressive numbers so far:
271 aH has taken me 785 km (490 miles)
on average rides, I can achieve 20 to 23 wH / km.
when hard riding with lots of stop and go, I am never over 30wH / km
on a long 100 km ride, I was down at 17 wH / km.

The charger came with the battery and supplies 15Amps at 87 volts, regulated to properly charge LiFePo4 batteries. After most rides, the bike is charged in an hour or two at the most.

I've permanently wired the battery to the controller, with a key ingnition switch which cuts the power before the cycle analyst shunt. That way, when the key is off, there is absolutely no power draw.

I've also installed a DC/DC convertor which supplies 12volts for the head and tail lights. Also connected is an invertor that can supply 120volt AC for charging cell phones, or operating power tools, etc.

I would recommend Diaw and his batteries from China to anyone looking for reliable, affordable, and powerful LiFePo4 batteries for their ev project.

Thanks,

Rory

Hi there,

Give me a few minutes, and I will upload a video / pics for you.

Rory

Here is the battery video: http://www.vimeo.com/2622360

Rory

Hi there,

Thanks. I don't mind filming more, or providing more details if there are any questions. I am very happy with the set up and performance of the bike. I can ride around all day and never need to charge it. 40 aH sure lasts a long time.

I have had the battery apart. The battery is made up of pouches that are compressed together.

Unless cells (the cylinder style) which eat up space, and end up weighing more because of the metal casing around every battery, these ones are in pouches that are tightly compressed and sealed into the box.

This is clearly the best way to go to save space and weight.

Considering there is 72volts and 40 aH, at 50 lbs, I have noticed that this battery is lighter than others out there.

I have disconnected the BMS. After speaking with a few technicians, I found out that for larger battery set ups like this, there is no need to have one. A BMS is good if you are running a small pack and putting alot of charge and discharge on the battery. Since it's a 40aH, I rarely pull (actually never - considering my controller is a 40a)more than 1 C out of the battery. The cycle analyst does a great job at making sure I am not below the low volt level, and the charger makes sure that I am topped up.

The charger came with the battery purchase. I believe that Diaw can sell you it, please contact him directly (his email is in my signature line).

Rory

Gotta be 24 if he's charging to 87v like the video said... 3.625v... what I wanna know is the C rating on those prismatics. I'm looking for a 72v10ah that can do 50a sustained... Headway 38120s could probably handle that... probably... maybe...

24 is the answer....

If you really want, I can take the battery off the bike, open it up and film it for you. But, yes, it is dense man... I mean dense. It is air tight, and all battery, unlike the cell style batteries. It is as heavy as picking up a solid iron brick. Impressive.

Did you read my post re attaching the battery? I agree not optimal, but safely attached. Did you see the video?

I feel like a 250 lbs rider instead of 200 lbs ... bikes are generally good up to 300lbs.

Rory

Unless you have a 50 lbs butt.

Do you have means of checking the voltage of each series groups externally with a volt meter from time to time ?

I run 72v 20ah on my main Ebike, can't imagine double that lol.. that's a HUGE pack.. :wink:, I also run bms-free but never use more than 50% of the capacity on my daily trips.. most of the time i use aprox 5ah or less.. but it's nice to know you have plenty of juice on board.

I have checked the cell groupings from time to time, but find no variation. I should know more as time goes on, since I've only pulled a couple hundred aH from the battery as of now.

I do a lot of long rides - up to 120 kms in a day... so the 40 aH comes in handy. I never do less than 80 kms in a day, which usually consumes about 20 aH. With 40 on board, if I get home after work, I still have 50 to 80 more kms of range available without charging the battery.

On the weekends I can push the full 160 kms on one day in a ride.

Since I installed the Cycle Analyst, now I will be able to keep better track of exactly what I am using and my total aH out of the battery. Between Mar and Oct of 2009, I am expecting to do at least 12,000 kms of riding ... should end up pulling over 3200 aH of power. That will be the real test to watch unfold.

Hello Totals

You have a nice setup!.. nice battery energy too!.. nice speed!..etc

Welcome to the 150km range+ club :mrgreen:

Q1: Does the 90km/h you mentioned is downhill? your max speed on flat is 85kph right?

I wold be curious to compare our ebike! like acceleration.. handling..etc..

Q2: Could you try to measure the 0-100m time?

One last question, you said you removed your BMS.. I understand that this is possibel with large battery pack or large Ah i mean..

Q3: but do you always charge it fully everytime?.. i mean 100% soc ?cause normally ANY LiFePO4 battery size go unbalanced or one of the cells will go over the 3.7 or 3.8V... at the end of charge, it is impossible that all the 24 cells top at the same time at 3.7V... there is always one that end sooner and goes on higher voltage than the rest...

Q4: Have you ever measured every 24 cells Voltages after the fuill charge?

Doc

Back