• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Crystalyte HS & HT hub-motor wheel lacing (need help!)

Bison_69

100 W
Hi eBikers,

Would anyone, by chance, could demystify the proper technical way to lace the new Crystalyte HS and HT hub-motor because so far with all the info I have succeeded to gather it is a real puzzle to me... no one seems to have a standard way to do it.

I have a SUN Rim Double Track 24 inches 36 holes, ERD = 476mm, diam. 507mm which I want lace to my rear Xlyte HT with some 12G spokes...

It is a world of confusion trying to obtain the right way to lace this new hub-motor…

Thank you for your help.

2011001A - Spokes Assy.JPG

Hi mikebikerad,

Thanks for the recommendation...

Talking about DH bike, have you ever seen DoctorBass Giant DH Comp 2003 wheel lacing setup.... he is using a particular setup may be because he si using the old Crystalyte X5 generation...

(As shown on the picture below, I will be using the exact same rim...)

Cheers

Attachments

• DoctorBass Giant DH Comp 2003.JPG
    DoctorBass Giant DH Comp 2003.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 1,058
Bison_69,

This is how we do all of our builds. My wheel builder is experienced and reputable. I have never had a spoke failure on nearly 40 builds. This is on the trike and it has held up really well in the last six months.

Attachments

• oie_1219930PihF1TuK.jpg
    oie_1219930PihF1TuK.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,263
Hi mikebikeride,

Thanks again, I really appreciate... just some more questions, on your picture it shows an old Xlyte X5 version... would it make any difference about the width and hub diameter which are very different on the new Xlyte HT (width X5 = 45mm VS HT = 38mm, motor diam. X5 = 254mm VS HT = 239mm)

Thanks again.

Do your 12 gauge spoke nipples fit into the doubletrack rim eyelets?

FYI, this is how I built my HS35/24" wheel:

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25459&start=120#p417313

Hi nicobie and Stevil_Knevil,

Thanks for the input... I will be a lot more confident now to assemble this wheel...

Regarding the 12G spokes.. Ypedal posted once (sorry I don't have the link neither the YouTube video) how to trim the rim eyelets with a small circular file to adapt the 12G nipples.

Cheers.

Hi Bison_69,

On my X5, i mounted the spokes on the A method ( Head in Head out Towards Left) because my X5 hub motor is from the first's gen wich is centered no the axel and dont have the offset that was added in the newer version.

Mounting the wheel with the C version is better i agree but when it come to the need of offseting the rim from the motor spokes rail that require to have one side of teh spokes longer than other.. or to work really hard with the nipple to not tighten them too fat and break the nipple or spoke thread...

I broke my Doubletrack 24" 36h last week.. the wheel is bent on a small portion...

Right now this is REALLY disfficult to find a replacement rim just like it!!

I recall: Sun Rigle ( rim) DOUBLE TRACK 24 with 36 holes are HARD to find now! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

chainreaction cycle only have the 32 holes!

and finding a replacement strong rim as this one is difficult

the MTX 39 is teh same width,, but only availlable i 26"

Many look really similar but they all are 32 holes!!! :evil:

I have 3 options:

-Repair the rim... wich mean making a kind of wood made jig to repair the flat on the rim... this would help to not break other region of the rim while forcing on it to repair the missing arc shape

-Finding a way to drill new holes in my X5 hub motor to get 32 equally spaced holes WITHOUT having some too close to the actual 36 holes wich mean finding the right perfect offset between actual 36 holes and new 32 holes

-Accepting the replacement rim option.. but a rim with close to 39mm wide and 26 thick with 36 holes made for 24" wheel is not so easy!

Doc

Back