Crystalyte Hub availability - who have it in stock

leamcorp

100 W
Does anyone have a Crystalyte kit in stock? I've tried Ebike.ca and Bernson and they both are out.

I've found some Wilderness brushless kit, but don't know if they could handle 72v. Do they match in quality? (to Crystalyte).

I'm also looking at geared hub motor from TexasEv, but don't know if they are noisy. If you have one and had a experience with Crystalyte - how do they compare in terms of noise level. I don't need a geared hub as I live in flat state, but at this point, I'm ready to get almost anything.

I have a Scott sportster (an aluminum bike) with 700c wheels that I want to convert and I've just replaced the suspension fork with a rigid steel fork. Since i'm getting bit antsy - do you think aluminum rear hub will be strong enough for 500 series (or geared hub)? I've already got a 2 torque arm.

Sorry for bunch of question - Thanks

Define noisy.

I have the EVTech brushless geared hub on my tadpole trike. Is it silent? No. Have I heard louder tire noise from someone with an aggressive tread rapidly peddling past me on pavement? Yes.

There is a very slight whine or maybe a soft whir, so if you're looking for total silence, this ain't it. On the other hand, on a tadpole trike my ear is maybe 2 feet away from the motor and I would call the amount of noise it makes "inconsequential."

MT

Thanks for the explanation.

I currently have a Ezip from currie-tech and it is Noisy. I'm sure EVtech motor is not as noisy, but I'm trying to get a quietest motor around. If you have a Crystalyte 4xx or wilderness BL36 - let me know how loud those are.

Got burning pocket, but no one seem to have it in stock though.

I have good hearing, and would not describe the EV tech motors as noisy by any means. I am familiar with the Ezip style motors-they are way noisier than the BMC geared hubs. The Hub from EV tech are also about 1/2 the weight and operate at a higher efficiency than the Crystlyte motors do. I can go over 30 miles on a small 36V 10.5 AH LIPO battery on my one bike, including hills. I have two of these kits installed, and have run the other one at 60 volts with no problem with a different controller. they fly at 60 volts-well over 30 MPH with 26 inch wheels and with healthy acceleration. 72 volts is overkill in my opinion, and will likely shorten the life of the motor and its parts (the nylon gears)significantly.

Check out Knuckles (ecrazyman) geared motors. All nylon gears, and he has spares if U melt them! I will be trying to soon as I get the right size spokes!
(also prolly much cheaper than EVTech!!!)
otherDoc

But availability is the question.

Today I had a bad experience. I had ordered a Crystalyte Kit from an online vender on the first of the month. They said 2 to 3 weeks before they would ship and I said OK. I called today to inquire about the order and was told another 6 weeks! To me that's an alternative spelling for unavailable. I was slightly hot after getting all enthusiastic and then hearing this bad news.

Does anyone know if there is a reliable vendor out there?

There's nothing wrong with the Ezip... but that screaming banshee of motor is driving me bonkers (to simulate the motor - hold the high speed dremel near your ear as you are grinding a metal pipe).

As for the battery - I just bought a 36v 15ah lifepo4, but haven't bought the 2nd one. I could also get a 24v 15ah also, but the battery seller gave me a good pricing for the repeat.

I still would like to know if Crystalyte or Wilderness BL36 is silent.

SamSpeed said:
But availability is the question.

Today I had a bad experience. I had ordered a Crystalyte Kit from an online vender on the first of the month. They said 2 to 3 weeks before they would ship and I said OK. I called today to inquire about the order and was told another 6 weeks! To me that's an alternative spelling for unavailable. I was slightly hot after getting all enthusiastic and then hearing this bad news.

Does anyone know if there is a reliable vendor out there?

I feel for you - I had the same thing happened, hence this post.

I guess I should thank the lucky star for having my screaming banshee Ezip.

These folks still have inventory ... and at the old prices ... heh.

http://www.electricrider.com/crystalyte/parts.htm

Still using trailer hitch connectors ... get some powerpoles from another vendor.

I have A Crystalyte 408. You can only hear the very slightest whirring if you listen closely. Virtually silent.

http://www.youtube.com/ypedal - set your speakers.

The BMC/eZee/Puma/texaselectricbikes geared, Brushless, hub motors do make a silent whine, but not an offencive tone, quite pleasing to the ears actually.

The cyclone in contrast.. was like a cordless drill.

The crystalyte only makes a small grunt at low rpm that you barely notice if you have knoby tires.. virtually silent.

Whats the difference between 4840 and 3640 Kit - Just a controller? It looks like both comes with same motor (based on their parts listing, which doesn't distinguish between 36v vs. 48v).

kbarrett says... These folks still have inventory ... and at the old prices ... heh.

Well hate to tell you, but this is the company that caused me grief.

I've looked around at a few other company's sites, and some say plainly they are out of stock. Is something going on here? I'd sure like to put an electric bike together before summer's end.

Thanks for that - I was going to call them in the morning.

I've also contacted one of ebay vendor and he basically said his supplier is not shipping till end of August.

If you want it now, I got extremely good service from batteryspace on a WE kit . Both kits go 48v no problem on the stock controller. That gets you close to 30mph on the brushed ones and 25 on the brushless. They are pretty quiet, but my brushed motor is chirping like a cricket some now, after a particularly hot hard ride. So I guess I melted my brushes a bit. For real high volts, you still want your big chrystalite though, they get rid of heat better or just don't heat up as much. Two ebikes won't be a problem later, I assure you.

Found a vendor on ebay that said they could have BL-36 on my door by next Thursday... Will see (ebay id is tiewife). I'll get the 53xx when supply is replenished for my other bikes.

Cool, these days the best motor, or battery is the one in stock. It's happy times for the ebike buisness for sure. My state is talking about a rebate like the fed one, and I'm allready thinking, three ebikes is a good idea. My wife is riding more and more, but neither of us like the trike as much unless we are going to the store.

SamSpeed said:
kbarrett says... These folks still have inventory ... and at the old prices ... heh.

Well hate to tell you, but this is the company that caused me grief.

Looks like I got lucky then.

Sorry about getting their last 408 before you did.

I just bought a Phoenix Cruiser motor and 4840 controller along with a set of spokes from Electric Rider. Ordered on Monday, they shipped on Tuesday, arrived on Thursday but FedEx was an ass 'till Friday. Will probably send the motor back as mine appears to be dried out and working fine. Good service, good attitude each time I've bought anything from them. Prices are market but Phoenix has never been cheap. (Crystalyte 5304)
Mike

I just ordered a front hub kit from electricrider.com and it arrived within two weeks. Their website says the rear hub motors are on backorder so there can be a couple of months wait.

Well my saga is continuing.

As mentioned before, I've order a Wilderness BL-36 kit from a 2nd ebay seller. The package got here today and that was good news since it got here early. The rest, not so good. First, the kit is not a BL-36, rather its BD-36, which I wouldn't have minded. But its missing pretty much everything else. It came with the hub wheel and a charger - thats it :(

No controller or throttle or battery. I'm ready to give up and go get me a motorcycle (not).

Dagnab it. I thought ebikes.ca had stock of 20" front with 405, but I guess I was too late.

On Friday they offered 406 but I wanted 405 or 404. Now I think the 406 is gone too.

Steadily ebikes.ca stock is disappearing. Got email that 405 won't be available until "fall".

Any other brand/model roughly equivalent to a 20" front 405 for roughly same price or lower ?

Have available Wilderness Energy (BL36 ?) locally, but I think a 405 would be better...

Back