Custom ebike controller box?

Rudy Jimenez

100 µW
Hey all,
I'm running a 750-1000w voilamart Rear hub.
With a upp 52v 13a battery.
I made (still building) a box out of abs plastic.
For my controller and buck converter.
I drilled 2 1" holes on the bottom front.
And a 2" hole on the back. For a fan.
16929972155472146850230423369334.jpg16929972533786583696778664797763.jpg
My question is is the fan a good idea or not?
I've heard they will draw in moisture.

You're probably going to need some way to get cooling air passing over the devices, otherwise they may overheat inside the box. They're designed to be out in the airflow.

A fan that passes air thru the enclosure will also pass anything that is *in* the air, including dirt, dust, debris, water, etc. But the important part is it will pass air thru the enclosure, to cool the electronics. Filters can be used to minimize what gets carried in, but they will also block most of the airflow (or all of it if the fan isn't powerful enough, or large enough, to create extra airflow to make up for the filter blockage).

If the system is very low power (250-350w) the controller might not make so much heat that it overheats itself, or ages it's components significantly faster than normal, but the "buck converter" may make a lot of heat, depending on what it's job is.

If it's for converting traction battery voltage to say, lighting voltage, it may not make much heat if the lighting load is small. If it's for converting battery voltage to controller voltage then it will probably make more heat than the controller does. Etc.

You're probably going to need some way to get cooling air passing over the devices, otherwise they may overheat inside the box. They're designed to be out in the airflow.

A fan that passes air thru the enclosure will also pass anything that is *in* the air, including dirt, dust, debris, water, etc. But the important part is it will pass air thru the enclosure, to cool the electronics. Filters can be used to minimize what gets carried in, but they will also block most of the airflow (or all of it if the fan isn't powerful enough, or large enough, to create extra airflow to make up for the filter blockage).

If the system is very low power (250-350w) the controller might not make so much heat that it overheats itself, or ages it's components significantly faster than normal, but the "buck converter" may make a lot of heat, depending on what it's job is.

If it's for converting traction battery voltage to say, lighting voltage, it may not make much heat if the lighting load is small. If it's for converting battery voltage to controller voltage then it will probably make more heat than the controller does. Etc.

Back