Customized Hardtail frame + HV140 + Astro 8150

Timma2500

1 kW
Hey all. Just a brief rundown on what ive been working on. I hope to eventually sell refined copies of the finished hardtail frame/planetary gearbox/ drive minus electrics to people who want something similar but don't have the access to tooling, workshop etc. Versions would be restricted to crank driven setups only, though could be modified after sale for direct rear wheel applications.

I will do two frames but will do a hardtail first then use an old 2000 Specialized Rockhopper FSR XC frame i have with a 5" BETD rear suspension link (for offroad play :D . The frame I am starting with is a Brand X dirt jumping aluminium frame from chainreactioncycles.com to help keep costs down.

I am short on time here before heading out of town for a few weeks (will try to log in while away), but will give just a brief explanation of whats coming. I wanted to be able to add a new downtube section to a frame with suitable gussets which would fully enclose the batt, esc, servo tester, motor, planetary gearbox and 2nd chain to cranks for both stealth reasons and safety for components from rain, snow, dust etc.

The down tube will consist of 12mm machined aluminium plate top and bottom (machined down to 3mm in the centre sections) with 2.5mm carbon fibre on the sides. Height and width for the first drive will be 95mm H x 60mm wide for the electronics/ battery section. Width at the transmission will be around 135mm between the cranks including carbon side covers. The 16:1 BaneBot.com Planetary gearbox will be tied in to both the carbon sides and machined top and bottom aluminium plates for strength and rigidity. I will be running a 12s 10ah Truerc.com lipo (83x50x315mm) but larger batterys can be alocated for using larger dimensions to potential customer requirements.

The upper plate will bolt to the carbon sides with a series of M4 or M5 bolts the entire length while the lower plate will be hinged at the front with two M6's and run for approx 320mm (for my battery size) down to meet up the the normal bolted section where it will attach securely to the frame with two bicycle quick release handles on slots. To release, undo the handles as normal and slide the QR's down in the slot to allow the battery plate to swing down. the plate will have a slotted carbon piece bolted internally to retrict the amount the plate can open to self hold while transferring batterys in and out of the frame.

The frame is capable of holding an 80 x 80mm motor and will be tested with both a 2700w RC Exceed 64x63 outrunner and the 6kw Astro 8150 I am waitng to take delivery of :D These will be teamed with the CC HV140 on its way now.

Drive reduction starts with a HTD-5M 15mm belt and 28t/44t pulleys. Once through the 'box its out to the 18t Eno Trials FW then down to the 34t chainring. A standard shimano rear deraileur pulley will be used as a tensioner/full wrap device to keep future replacement costs as low as possible and replacements easy to find. Ratios can be all changed to tailor top speed/climbing torque requirements.

Outboard support bearings will be used on both belt pulleys and output sprocket of gearbox (Eno fw).
Cooling is the next issue to deal with and am working on a few designs for ways to get around the thermal issues without compromising shelter from the elements. Anyway I've run out of time, will try to log in next week some time.

Paul :D

Oh the pics aren't 100% accurate, no longer going to use DMR guide and the motor pulley has no flanges so obviously won't be used.

Attachments

• ebikesmall.jpg
    ebikesmall.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1,694
  • Drive small.jpg
    Drive small.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 1,693
  • Drive side small 1.jpg
    Drive side small 1.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 1,693
Is that reduction (belt stage) 2:1 or 3:1?

Nice design, what is the casing for the Jackshaft or is that a gear box?

More info would be great, that's a clean and rather simple (elegant) design.

-Mike

Hey guys, I've started a new build thread in "Non Hub Drives" under the title Norco Empire 8150 build. Have gone to a full suspension frame for the 1st build.
A lot of work has gone on since this post! But its not finished yet...
The gearbox is a 2 stage (4:1, 4:1) 16:1 planetary unit. The belt drive is 28t/44t for a 1.57:1 ratio.

Paul :D

Back