Cute Q100 vs Bafang SWXK5- Anyone Happy?

majornelson

100 W
I am building a light speed, cruiser for short runs around home and to work. It will be powered by 5ah 48v lipo. I purchased both the Cute Q100 201 rpm and a 36V250W Bafang SWXK5. Both are front wheel mounts.

Goals are:

- assist up a few modest hills and speeds up 18 - 20 mph, with assist is fine.
- stealthy look with little noise

I've read a lot of back and forth on the forums. Thought I wanted to install the Cute and now thinking it' the Bafang (I want to avoid having to lace both into a wheel, for now).

My other bike is a MAC 500W 48v build that goes fast and far. I'm not looking for that with this build (and I think that is why I'm confused by some of the reviews).

Thanks!

They are both good motors, I'm partial to the Q100 myself but to be honest, you'll experience similar results from each. 48V is a little high for them though. They can certainly handle that power, but their lifetime will be more limited. It's not unheard of for a q100 to wear out it's gears after a year of heavy use on 36V, so think about what that extra 33% of power can do to it. If you're looking for more sporadic use though, you'll probably be fine.

Realistically, I'll be lucky to put 750 miles on it in a year. My commute is short and sooner or later, the weather sucks here for riding in the winter.

I have the 48v battery to provide a little more umph for the 201 rpm motor and get a little more top speed assistance.

But I hear you regarding the durability with the higher voltage.

Thanks.

The biggest and very famous Lithium ebike brand "Xideshen" in China also uses Bafang motors. Bafang are famous good quality motor.
BTW, Another very good motors will be Ananda.

i had a bfang that i put over 1800 miles on with 36v,12amp ping...i put one steel gear in with the two original nylons.... absolutely no problems i bought the motor,l;aced into a rim from john holmes...he might still have some steel gears:mrgreen:

eva-michael said:
Another very good motors will be Ananda.

I thought the q100 was Ananda! :?:

Samd said:
eva-michael said:

We know the manufacturer of this motor but they are not Ananda. Please miss this post if you think I'm saying too much....

The Q100 is lighter and generally more quiet. The Bafang can take slightly more amps, other than that, there's not a lot between them. Choose the one that you like the look of.

mlt34 said:
Samd said:
eva-michael said:

you are correct. Q100 = Ananda
No no no...Please don't mislead.
aikema Motors are not Ananda........ Model: ZYJZ-100F,
There are a lot of products with similar appearence in different China factories. It will be easy to get confusing.

Michael

eva-michael said:
There are a lot of products with similar appearence in different China factories. It will be easy to get confusing.

Michael

Wow, that's weird. I just checked aikema's site and it appears you're right. I could have sworn the Q100's were ananda motors at one time? Is this a situation of one company buying another or branching off? Sometimes it's hard to keep track of all these Chinese companies, some open, others close, still others are bought and sold...

mlt34 said:
eva-michael said:

Michael

Wow, that's weird. I just checked aikema's site and it appears you're right. I could have sworn the Q100's were ananda motors at one time? Is this a situation of one company buying another or branching off? Sometimes it's hard to keep track of all these Chinese companies, some open, others close, still others are bought and sold...
Not always change name. But it's ok if they accept OEM.
That's why we should have endless-sphere. Here we can discuss and also have test report also. We can share information here and find out what we want to know.

majornelson said:
I am building a light speed, cruiser for short runs around home and to work. It will be powered by 5ah 48v lipo. I purchased both the Cute Q100 201 rpm and a 36V250W Bafang SWXK5. Both are front wheel mounts.

Goals are:

- assist up a few modest hills and speeds up 18 - 20 mph, with assist is fine.
- stealthy look with little noise

I've read a lot of back and forth on the forums. Thought I wanted to install the Cute and now thinking it' the Bafang
I'm collaborating with footloose, another member, to compare the Q-100 with the Bafang SWXU. I also recently built an SWXK into a 700c wheel for my wifes bike. Since we are doing a comparison we examined, weighed, no-load speed tested and listened to all these motors. So far we have built the SWXU into a 20" and ridden it. We have not yet built up the Q-100. I've also ridden the SWXK in the 700c bike.

The measurements are:
[pre]motor code wt KV notes
SWXK 201 2.9kg 6.5 0.54 mph/V@700c
SWXU 201 2.3kg 6.49 0.53 mph/V@700c (0.39 mph/V@20")
Q100 201 2.3kg 6.23 0.51 mph/V@700c (0.38 mph/V@20")[/pre]
Subjectively, with the same controller and battery in my test rig I can grab and stop the SWXU and Q100. This is impossible with the SWXK. They all make about the same amount of noise at no load full speed, but they sound different from each other. On the road, the SWXU is louder than the SWXK especially when just cruising at part throttle.

I like the design and construction of the Bafang motors better. No cable through the axle for one, it just looks more thought out. The internal gears on the SWXK are much larger than on the Q100 or SWXU.

On the road with 12s lipo the SWXK in 700c goes 23+ mph. At 14 amps it is pretty good, but at 21 amps it is more than strong enough for fairly steep hills for my wife, or even with me. I'm heavy, 270lbs, but pedal hard on hills and can climb a few blocks of 12% grade with the SWXK although I don't think it would be happy on a long grade like that. The SWXU would not do this at all, and even in a 20" wheel it bogs down on grades a lot more than the SWXK. Of course some of that is the the extra amps for the SWXK, but that's the thing, the SWXK can handle it and the SWXU almost certainly cannot. It gets a bit warm at 14 amps on hills that leave the SWXK cool on 21 amps.

I picked the SWXU for my 20" folder that I have to carry on stairs and wanted to minimize the weight. It's ok, I'm not unhappy with it, but If I had to do it over I would choose the SWXK/SWXK5 over the smaller motors. it is only 0.6 kg heavier but it is much more capable. I'm really pleased with it. The SWXU is ok in a 20" wheel, but there is no way I could use it in a large wheel, it would just be too wimpy.

I assume since the Q100 is the same size and mass as the SWXU that it would that it will perform similarly.

I'm collaborating with footloose, another member, to compare the Q-100 with the Bafang SWXU.

Fantastic. For me it's not as much about top speed but torque to be able to climb a few modest hills (I ride this to work and would like to stay dry(ish) on DC's hot summer mornings).

The interesting part is your hand stop test and subjective analysis. That implies that the Q100 will disappoint on grades, I think.

I had hoped to use the q100 on this build as it is a little smaller and lighter. I'd also be saving the bafang for something more aggressive.

Once I install the controller and battery, I can easily test both wheels on the same bike, using the same setup. I'll report back with observations.

Are there any specific tests you guys were doing that I should try and emulate?

Thx!

-dg said:
I'm collaborating with footloose, another member, to compare the Q-100 with the Bafang SWXU. I also recently built an SWXK into a 700c wheel for my wifes bike. Since we are doing a comparison we examined, weighed, no-load speed tested and listened to all these motors. So far we have built the SWXU into a 20" and ridden it. We have not yet built up the Q-100. I've also ridden the SWXK in the 700c bike.

Sounds like that guy footloose is a lazy sun of a gun, needs to get off his butt and complete the Q-100 build. :wink:

-dg said:

The measurements are:
[pre]motor code wt KV notes
SWXK 201 2.9kg 6.5 0.54 mph/V@700c
SWXU 201 2.3kg 6.49 0.53 mph/V@700c (0.39 mph/V@20")
Q100 201 2.3kg 6.23 0.51 mph/V@700c (0.38 mph/V@20")[/pre]
Subjectively, with the same controller and battery in my test rig I can grab and stop the SWXU and Q100. This is impossible with the SWXK. They all make about the same amount of noise at no load full speed, but they sound different from each other. On the road, the SWXU is louder than the SWXK especially when just cruising at part throttle.

I like the design and construction of the Bafang motors better. No cable through the axle for one, it just looks more thought out. The internal gears on the SWXK are much larger than on the Q100 or SWXU.

On the road with 12s lipo the SWXK in 700c goes 23+ mph. At 14 amps it is pretty good, but at 21 amps it is more than strong enough for fairly steep hills for my wife, or even with me. I'm heavy, 270lbs, but pedal hard on hills and can climb a few blocks of 12% grade with the SWXK although I don't think it would be happy on a long grade like that. The SWXU would not do this at all, and even in a 20" wheel it bogs down on grades a lot more than the SWXK. Of course some of that is the the extra amps for the SWXK, but that's the thing, the SWXK can handle it and the SWXU almost certainly cannot. It gets a bit warm at 14 amps on hills that leave the SWXK cool on 21 amps.

I picked the SWXU for my 20" folder that I have to carry on stairs and wanted to minimize the weight. It's ok, I'm not unhappy with it, but If I had to do it over I would choose the SWXK/SWXK5 over the smaller motors. it is only 0.6 kg heavier but it is much more capable. I'm really pleased with it. The SWXU is ok in a 20" wheel, but there is no way I could use it in a large wheel, it would just be too wimpy.

I assume since the Q100 is the same size and mass as the SWXU that it would that it will perform similarly.

It's a real shame you didn't try the Q100. It isn't similar to the SWXU at all. The SWXU is rated at 220w, the Q100 350W. The Q100 packs a surprising punch for it's size. Try it with 12S at 18 amps. Hopefully, you'll have some data on it soon. I look forward to it. When I compare the Q100 to the SWXK, the Q100 feels more like a turbine because it spins very fast compared with the Bafang. It seems to work much better in small wheels than large ones.

I've owned a low speed Bafang SWXB 250W, a GoldenMotor high speed "24V" 250W motor, an E-BikeKit geared motor and now a "201 RPM" Cute Q100.

I ran the low speed Bafang first on 36V/15A for about 1,000 miles then on 48V/15A for another 2,000 miles until the halls died. It was much more satisfying at 48V. I ran it another 2,0000 miles sensorless with the clutch locked-up. The gears still looked perfect even after 5,000 miles.

The E-BikeKit geared motor was slightly faster than the Bafang with better torque. (I sold it but ordered a new one today).

The "24V" GM Mini is just a 328 RPM (at 36V) SWXH Bafang. I ran this in a 700C wheel so low speed torque was lacking but it was speedy (29MPH top speed on 12S LiPo/20A controller, a couple MPH less on 15A).

I'm presently running a Cute Q100 in a 700C wheel on 12S LiPo/15A. The Cute is the smoothest of the bunch but also the least powerful, it's also a bit slower than even the low-speed Bafang. With the other geared motors above I either shortened the cable from the motor to the controller and or replaced it with larger gauge wire. In all cases this added extra grunt so I may try this with the Cute too.

Being smaller in diameter the Cute Q100 offers better spoke to caliper clearance

-R

Russell said:
The "24V" GM Mini is just a 328 RPM (at 36V) SWXH Bafang. I ran this in a 700C wheel so low speed torque was lacking but it was speedy (29MPH top speed on 12S LiPo/20A controller, a couple MPH less on 15A).
As far as I can tell without taking them apart the SWXH and the SWXK and the SWXK5 are all the same basic internals and perform identically.

FYI, there is another member whose handle I forget who runs an SWXH in a trike with oil cooling and something crazy like 35 amps.

A bit more info about the source of the Q100. It's identical to the Aikema motors, but they don't come from the Aikema factory. As far as I can figure out, they're copies. I've met Jack Xie here at the Shanghai show. He confirmed that they're not from Aikema, but wouldn't reveal the source (obviously).

Back