Cycle Analyst V3 preview and first beta release

thanks Justin.

i will have to wait till i get back from the tour at the end of may before i can get access to a portable pc so i can update the FW on the CA.

i have the wgain set at 20 at the moment, and it has improved the responsiveness of the pedal / power assist.
i will try it at 10 and see how that goes. im looking forward to the prelim FW. i just won't be able to stick it on till im back home.

living on the 2nd floor of an apartment complex makes it all but impossible to get my heavy trike up to my desktop pc for FW updates....

Jason

Diamondback said:
living on the 2nd floor of an apartment complex makes it all but impossible to get my heavy trike up to my desktop pc for FW updates....

Yeah, sadly the CA can't download new firmware from the air without any cables yet, but we're workin on it :wink:

Anyways, I've just finished up the Prelim6 firmware with just the last little tweaks discussed here in the last page

a) Throttle rates are now setup in V/sec, rather than Sec/V, and the total range is much extended: 0.01 to 99.99 V/sec. (I have no idea why you'd want the throttle to take several minutes to ramp all the way up, but it's there to do if you'd like it)
b) The quadrature mode option in the PAS setup no longer exists
c) The bug that hjns found has been fixed, where the serial data stream could stop transmitting under mode changes or certain settings changes in the setup menu.

I'll go for a late night spin with it and post here tomorrow if all seems fine. -Justin

justin_le said:
a) Throttle rates are now setup in V/sec, rather than Sec/V, and the total range is much extended: 0.01 to 99.99 V/sec. (I have no idea why you'd want the throttle to take several minutes to ramp all the way up, but it's there to do if you'd like it)
b) The quadrature mode option in the PAS setup no longer exists
c) The bug that hjns found has been fixed, where the serial data stream could stop transmitting under mode changes or certain settings changes in the setup menu.

I'll go for a late night spin with it and post here tomorrow if all seems fine. -Justin

Just to be very clear:
a) does this mean that a setting of 99.99V/sec means that the throttle will ramp up almost immediately?

Thanks for fixing the bug. I have waited with upgrading the FW since B22, but will do so when the prelim 6 comes out.

I wanted to invoke thermal rollback on my Bafang powered Fighter so I could wind up the amps a bit.

So I went to the trouble of removing the wheel and stripping the motor to get to the windings. No problems so far. However, when it came time to get the thermocouple wires through the axle with the phase and hall wire bundle still in there, it just wasn't going to happen. The only way I was going to get the extra wires through would be to completely de solder the phase and hall wires, withdraw the bundle, and start again. Decided this was going to take just too much time and effort so reluctantly, I re assembled the motor and re fitted the wheel.

However, it wasn't a total loss and seeing the stator removed from the motor with just the axle attached to it got me thinking.

As far as thermal paths go, the motor windings are effectively in direct contact with motor shaft. With this in mind, it seemed fair to summate that temperature changes at the windings will also be seen at the motor axle. So the next question was just how reactive would the changes in temperature be at shaft in comparison to changes at the windings. Naturally there would be a significant DeltT between the windings and the shaft but this would be easy to compensate for.

So time for some testing.

A 10K thermistor was wired to the CA and inserted into the end of the hollow motor axle. It only goes in about 5mm but is held in place with thermal putty to make sure it has good thermal contact with the inside of the shaft.

IMG_2134.jpg

Needed a starting point to set the CA to so I went with temperatures I typically see on the motor casing when measuring with a infrared thermometer. I know from previous experience including motor failures that 55 degC is a safe max temperature with anything over 60 degC being dangerous territory. with this in mind, rollback was set to 50 degC and cutout to 60 degC as a starting point.

So off for a ride at one of my local torture tracks to get some data.

First thing I noticed was that the temp at the motor shaft was surprisingly reactive to changes in motor load. Hard hill climbs would see temps rise quickly with coasting down the other side quickly seeing temps drop off again. My expectations were that the heat sink effect of the stator and motor shaft would make temperature reactions very slow but this certainly wasn't the case.

Every few minutes I would stop and measure the motor casing with my infrared thermometer and discovered that the two temperatures tracked quite closely but with a DeltT of around 8K (shaft temperature showing approx 8 degC lower then the motor case).

So with the data collected, l set the CA up for 42 degC rollback and 52 degC cutout.

Still plenty of testing to do but a rollback temperature setting of 42 degC certainly gave me plenty of scope to push the motor hard including 3000W peaks and some serious hill climbs. Pushing hard to finally see the rollback coming into play would see temps stabilise under the enforced power reduction setting.

So in summary, obviously having the thermistor directly on the motor windings is the correct and ideal way of measuring temperature. However if fitting an internal thermistor is not practical to carryout, reasonable motor protection through thermal rollback looks like it can be achieved with this very simple installation method.

Still needs plenty of testing but so far, the results are quite promising.

Kepler said:
As far as thermal paths go, the motor windings are effectively in direct contact with motor shaft. With this in mind, it seemed fair to summate that temperature changes at the windings will also be seen at the motor axle.
So in summary, obviously having the thermistor directly on the motor windings is the correct and ideal way of measuring temperature. However if fitting an internal thermistor is not practical to carryout, reasonable motor protection through thermal rollback looks like it can be achieved with this very simple installation method.

Still needs plenty of testing but so far, the results are quite promising.
Hmmm - perhaps shooting a small diameter hole in the non-wired shaft half to get the sensor into the axle closer to the stator (further from the heatsink effect of the dropout).... Heatsink thermal paste comes to mind. What kind of putty are you using?

Hey Justin-
Can you add a shaft thermistor to your 'Definitive Cooling...' test rig and collect a little data on the side? Things will certainly vary according to the many different types of stamped or cast rotors, but a little info about the thermal lag and delta T would be interesting, even if for just a single construction technique.

today i updated to prelim5

now i have a throttle problem. The Throttle is pumping now.

i tried all ramp settings to check. disabled all max speed,current settings.
and also tried another thottle.

with CA connected the throttles pumps to max speed.
throttle direct to controller theres no pumping to max speed/throttle.

up/down/fast setting to 0,03 also wont work. :|

Maybe you guys can point me in right direction. Just installed CA-v3 on my bike. 100.8V 23.2AH with methods 24fet controller and cromotor.
I am not getting speedometer or Ah reading. Motor is spinning smooth and I get 0.9A freewheeling at wot.
I don't think it's the connections.
I tried to change shunt it's currently at 0523 and I need 0520, every time I change number it goes back to 0523.
Could this be causing my problem? How do I fix?
Should I change V scale (31.10)?

Also what is
Batt-Vgain? set at 800 now

Any help would be great thanks

dimpirate said:
Maybe you guys can point me in right direction.
Please download this Guide and go through all installation steps carefully without modification. It will explain some critical parameters and will link you to the Grin site for explanations of remaining ones.

I think this will address your issues. :)

Stealth_Rider said:
I don't have data cable to load new software at the moment, so can't upload new firmware.
Don't know what to do...bummer :?

You need to update the firmware if you've programmed in phantom digits to the shunt resistance by being in the wrong range mode when you set it up initially. It's a weirdness that only exists in the B21 firmware. What is the _actual_ RShunt value of your controller? It is 0.520 mOhm?

-Justin

dimpirate said:
Teklektic, I've gone thru with manual and done setup and still can't change the shunt to 0520..,,,
I don't have data cable to load new software at the moment, so can't upload new firmware.
Okay - good about the Guide. So we have:
I am not getting speedometer or Ah reading. Motor is spinning smooth and I get 0.9A freewheeling at wot.

I tried to change shunt it's currently at 0523 and I need 0520, every time I change number it goes back to 0523.
As the Guide calls out, VScale is a factory setting that calibrates the voltage reading - don't change it. Don't change Batt->VGain either.

The changing shunt value is because of an internal representational error - the CA can't represent 0.520 exactly and so you are seeing the best it can do -it's about a 0.5% error. But, that means the shunt value cannot be causing much of an error in displayed Amps/Watts. Something else is wrong.

The shunt representation (0520) looks like your firmware is old - like back around v3B19 or v3B20 - back when there were some issues with entering RShunt in High Range (which I assume you are using). I'm just guessing here, but you may have a 'hidden digit' stuck in the shunt setting. As I recollect, the only fix was to re-flash.

So - what version of firmware are you using?

I'm a bit at a loss about the speedo problem - there's not much to it - just set the pole count. Do you have a wheel pickup (CA-DPS) or the hall-sensor version (CA-DP)? What pole count are you using?

And the last point about the low current: are there Limit Flags asserted on the diagnostic screen? This would indicate that the CA is throttling back and so preventing you from getting the power you should.

dimpirate said:
Stealth_Rider said:

You need to update the firmware if you've programmed in phantom digits to the shunt resistance by being in the wrong range mode when you set it up initially. It's a weirdness that only exists in the B21 firmware. What is the _actual_ RShunt value of your controller? It is 0.520 mOhm?

-Justin

I will be getting cable for programming from you soon Justin. For now is there nothing I can do till firmware is updated??
And yes 0.520mOhm
CA won't program to that only getting 0.523
Do you think this is the speedometer,Ah display problem?

Fred

teklektik said:
dimpirate said:
Teklektic, I've gone thru with manual and done setup and still can't change the shunt to 0520..,,,
Okay - good about the Guide. So we have:

As the Guide calls out, VScale is a factory setting that calibrates the voltage reading - don't change it. Don't change Batt->VGain either.

The changing shunt value is because of an internal representational error - the CA can't represent 0.520 exactly and so you are seeing the best it can do -it's about a 0.5% error. But, that means the shunt value cannot be causing much of an error in displayed Amps/Watts. Something else is wrong.

The shunt representation (0520) looks like your firmware is old - like back around v3B19 or v3B20 - back when there were some issues with entering RShunt in High Range (which I assume you are using). I'm just guessing here, but you may have a 'hidden digit' stuck in the shunt setting. As I recollect, the only fix was to re-flash.

So - what version of firmware are you using?

I'm a bit at a loss about the speedo problem - there's not much to it - just set the pole count. Do you have a wheel pickup (CA-DPS) or the hall-sensor version (CA-DP)? What pole count are you using?

And the last point about the low current: are there Limit Flags asserted on the diagnostic screen? This would indicate that the CA is throttling back and so preventing you from getting the power you should.

Not sure what firmware I have. I am sure it's not current. Beta20?
And I'm using hall sensor version.
Pole count is 23.
Not seeing AH speed and such makes me nervous, maybe it isn't CA then what, motor rolling so smooth.
Hall phase connection were already tested by methods....
If its just though firmware will be good. Does programming cable not get sold with CA usually (might have misplaced it got a long time ago don't remember if it came with.....)

Stealth_Rider has a V3 via a Grin purchase last week-previous quote a few posts above is not me.

After install I flashed to firmware Prelim 5. No problems and I've tried out three throttles: a PTHE Hall throttle, a Jozztek Hall throttle, and a Magura resistance throttle. Of course I followed Justin's advice and installed a "slap" kill switch but I haven't needed it yet :D

Here's some pictures.

http://www.fareinc.com/65/CAV3/

I like the Magura best as its the most linear. Looking forward to Prelim 6 as soon as Justin releases it.

-Jim

dimpirate said:
Not sure what firmware I have. I am sure it's not current. Beta20?
Does programming cable not get sold with CA usually (might have misplaced it got a long time ago don't remember if it came with.....)
Version is on splash screen when CA boots.
The programming cable must be ordered as a separate item.

yesterday something broke. it's a hs3540 sensored with lyen 12fet controller and ca-v3 installed. motor just won't start to spin. just a short BURP and CA showing 1kw running into the stalled motor. quickly released the throttle.
afair the SETUP->THROTTLE shows hall's position moving?! correct? right now this little cross (moving the horizontal bar up/down) ain't change. but it should as soon as the CA is connected and powered up. even without throttle. correct?
thanks!

Merlin said:

up/down/fast setting to 0,03 also wont work. :|

someone any idea?
heres a little video to show...

[youtube]548a5fElOg0[/youtube]

izeman said:
yesterday something broke. it's a hs3540 sensored with lyen 12fet controller and ca-v3 installed. motor just won't start to spin. just a short BURP and CA showing 1kw running into the stalled motor. quickly released the throttle.
afair the SETUP->THROTTLE shows hall's position moving?! correct? right now this little cross (moving the horizontal bar up/down) ain't change. but it should as soon as the CA is connected and powered up. even without throttle. correct?
thanks!
Nope - but you are pretty close, though :)

I'm thinking you are talking about the little arrow after the 'P' on the SETUP SPDOMETER screen. That arrow reflects the state of the Sp input which is either a wheel pickup or one hall line if you are instead using the hall signal from the controller (via the DP connector). In either case the arrow will show high/low as the wheel is turned - even by hand.

Unfortunately this feature wasn't designed to diagnose the motor/controller and so if you have the DP style hookup, you can only see the output of one of the three halls.

• Off Topic: If it's not the obvious 'bad connection' problem (loose hall connector or an Anderson leaf connector that slipped up into the plastic shroud), then: There are many posts on ES about diagnosing your issue with a meter, etc, but it's good insurance to pick up an ebike tester for $30. You can search ebay or get one from Lyen. Great gadget... Here's a 2 page HowTo so you can see what it does.

Unfortunately, this is best to already have in hand and not to order after a problem occurred. Also, it may be a good plan to swap out the alligator clips for connectors to match you motor/controller so you can do quick tests safely (no shorts) in a just a few minutes.

Merlin said:

Hmmm - it's a little tough to make out, but towards the end of the video it looks like ThrOUT is following ThrIN as it should -- but that ThrIN is varying up and down for some reason.
  • Is that what is happening?
  • Are you in PassThru mode?
  • You mention that you adjusted the Max Speed setting, but have you adjusted down the gain settings as described on page 18 of the Guide to address issues with rapid wheel acceleration?

izeman said:
i have a lyen motor tester. but they are working up to 63v only. ...sorry for the short ot.
No problem. Actually, I guess I should have RTFM - I run my tester at 73v all the time - I guess a dropping resistor or two may be in order before it fails.... Thanks for the info! :D

mrbill said:
Hi All:

I came across a small problem yesterday when I was out riding, testing the latest update (CA3_Prelim5_NoCal).

I'm running with a "Power" throttle, PLim -> MaxPower = 600 watts, PLim -> MaxCurrent = 45A, PLim -> WGain = 50, and PLim -> AGain = 50. System voltage is "24 volts nominal", or 8s LiFe. Controller (Lyen 12-FET) current limit is set to 55 Amps.

Was climbing a hill and as the hill steepened my speed slowed as the Power began to limit me to 600 watts which is all well and good. As the hill steepened further, I began to feel a surging and release cycle, about 1 second per cycle. Checking the diagnostic screen I could see that the power limit was binding and that the current was being limited ("a" switching to "A", then back to "a") at approximately "23a", in rhythm with the surging.

So, why is the current apparently being limited at 23 Amps when I entered a current limit of 45 Amps?

I did not have this problem with the prior release. Pass-thru throttle mode correctly limits current to 45 Amps.

Is it merely coincidence that current is being limited at approximately half my instructed limit? 45/2 = 22.5 => 23 (when rounded to the nearest)

[Addendum: Well, I sort of see why the current limit is "23a". It's roughly the current that can be expected with a power limit of 600 watts when using an 8s LiFe battery. This still does not explain why the current limit constraint is shown as binding when I had set it to 45A.]

I discovered that my 6-pin JST CA connector hadn't clicked in and was slightly loose. When I clicked it in, I no longer saw spurious current limiting. The fact that no one else has complained about this suggests that it is not a software bug. Thanks for reading.

Back