Cycle analyst v3 questions

hey everyone,

Just took my bike to work and back for the first time and loved every second of it. I set up my cycle analyst the other night though and have a few questions.

I reset my trip at work after charging and then rode 14 miles home and took a few pics of the ca.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403650000.057668.jpg

The accumulated battery Ah in the right hand corner is 16? what does this mean exactly?

View attachment 6

Heres a pic of the total trip distance and battery voltage after the ride. My low voltage cutoff is programmed for 64v in the cycle analyst and after speaking with paul from em3ev he agrees on that. the battery bms will prevent the battery from being damaged regardless.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403652849.442034.jpg

Alright so heres it shows 1257 Watt hrs which i assume is total usage for my 14 mile ride....which confuses me because my battery at 90% charge is 86 volts. Its a 13.3Ah battery. So my calculated capacity in watt/hrs should be around 1143 right if u multiply 86x13.3?

I dont really understand how those numbers add up?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403653578.782040.jpg

This pic shows no regen % but i have ebrakes hooked up and it shows the brake levers being actuated on the cycle analyst when you squeeze either lever? do i have to enable them or something?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403653671.924599.jpg

Heres a pic of forward Ah. can someone explain this to me?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403653721.743464.jpg

FAST

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403653747.578988.jpg

Amperage max and voltage min

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403653790.916329.jpg

And lastly calculated internal resistance of the battery

Id like to figure out the ebrake thing and also how much battery i actually have left. Theres a meter to the left hand corner but there has to be a more precise way of knowing how much juice you have left.

Hi and congrats for having your CA v3 up and running. But it may not be set up properly with the correct parameters. To help the community here answer your queries, you should tell us more about your bike.

Here is what I can tell you from your screen shots…

1. The CA logs your maximum current as 91A. This does not sound right at all. 91A at about 86V implies you have a 7,800W setup which I suspect you do not! The current sensed by the CA will be accurate only if you have the correct current shunt resistance value programmed in the CA. Do you? Are you using the stock CA current shunt or is it a custom shunt? If it is the stock CA shunt, then have you inadvertently changed the shunt resistance programmed in the CA? The default shunt resistance for the stock CA shunt is 1 milliOhm.

2. The battery usage icon implies that you have about one-third capacity left (i.e. you have used about two-thirds). Which means that you have a value of about (very approximately) 24Ah programmed as your battery capacity. If your battery capacity is 13.3Ah as you have said, then you have the wrong value programmed.

3. Your pack voltage reads 76.5V. You say your pack voltage at 90% charge is 86V. So let’s say your average voltage during your trip was about 81V assuming a roughly linear drop throughout your ride. 81V x 16.0 Ah = 1296 Watt-hours. This is pretty close to the 1257.7Wh calculated by the CA and shown in one of your shots. But again, this figure will be completely wrong if your current readings are wrong.

4. The 0.0% Regen value shows that the CA does not detect any current flowing from the controller back to the battery. Is your setup capable of regen at all? Is this a custom build?

In summary, I think you probably do not have the correct shunt resistance programmed resulting in an incorrect current read by the CA. Or the current shunt may be incorrectly installed. Also, you probably have the wrong battery capacity programmed in the CA.

Tell us more about your bike...

danjpendleton said:
I set up my cycle analyst the other night though and have a few questions.
The accumulated battery Ah in the right hand corner is 16? what does this mean exactly?
Its a 13.3Ah battery.
This pic shows no regen % but i have ebrakes hooked up and it shows the brake levers being actuated on the cycle analyst when you squeeze either lever? do i have to enable them or something?
Id like to figure out the ebrake thing and also how much battery i actually have left. Theres a meter to the left hand corner but there has to be a more precise way of knowing how much juice you have left.
Okay - so lots of good questions and some helpful photos. :D

First - Please visit the manufacturer's V3 web page for a description of all the status fields and settings.
From your first photo, here's the short form answer to a couple of questions:

The '16' is the Ah the battery has supplied this trip. As you can see, your 13.3Ah battery at 90% charge has supplied 16Ah - which means that your Cal->RShunt setting is incorrect (that is, the measured battery current is too high). This may suggest that other aspects of the setup are suspect as well.
Please review/verify section 4 "Basic Installation" of the Unofficial User Guide.

The Guide (notably sections 3.4 and 5.3) should also answer your ebrake/regen questions as they pertain to the CA, but you will still need to configure your controller to enable this function.

As dingrels points out, you haven't given details of the motor, controller, or battery pack (although the pack appears to be a 21s7p 20R) so interpreting the rest of the displays is not possible. However, if you review the material linked above, I think your questions will be cleared up. If not - post back! :D

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403715830.689090.jpg

Bike has an hs3540 with temp sensing and 36-72v 40 amp infineon controller both from grin cyclery. Max regen is 88v it says.

I had the wrong shunt value entered into the cycle analyst for my controller. so that should take care of the watt meter issue. i knew something wasnt correct but thought they were setup from grin with the proper shunt value. now that i think of it, i bought them on different occasions

Ok so i have my ebrake wiring directly wired to the cycle analyst.... Because it shows it being wired that way on one of the illustrations on ebikes.ca site. this is the an acceptable way to do this correct? The only wire that runs from my controller to the cycle analyst is the 5 pin jst...

i know the levers are operating properly because when i squeeze either of them, it shows up on the ca

i think i have to run one wire from pin 4 on my ebrake connection down to the controller pin 4. justin never said anything about doing so though, he told me it was all plug in and play and that the only additional wiring would be a jumper for my temp sensor. Ill email him now

is you controller setup for regen? and do it work without the CA ( directly connect your e-brake to the controller ) , when the e-brake is applied the wheel should slow down much faster than if there were no regen

The controller is definitely setup for regen and i was under the impression from justin at ebikes.ca that running the brake lever connector directly to the cycle analyst was fine. I just emailed him about it. Something tells me i have to run a signal wire to the controller as well though.

danjpendleton said:
The controller is definitely setup for regen and i was under the impression from justin at ebikes.ca that running the brake lever connector directly to the cycle analyst was fine. I just emailed him about it. Something tells me i have to run a signal wire to the controller as well though.

I dont know anything about the wiring on a CA but if your ebrake plugs into the CA then there must be a wire out of the CA that plugs into the controller e-brake input.

How is your CAv3 set up to manage the throttle signal to the controller? Is it pass thru or one of the limiting modes?

If it is pass thru you're going to need to wire the handlebar brakes to the controller brake input with a separate set of wires.

If it is limiting I think you can have the brakes wired directly to the CAv3 and the CAv3 will send the necessary signals to
cut power and enable regen etc... (I think that's by setting the throttle signal to 0v -- check controller manual-- I don't have a regen hub...)

That being said, the closed loop throttle limiting thing is one of the great features of the CAv3 so you should try to utilize it
if you can. Plus you can cut down on the number of wires criss crossing the bike frame. :)

Edit: Set the closed loop throttle to limit on amps, maybe 20A maximum for your 13.3A battery.

i have 20r lithium cells so the controller current matches these cells quite well. from what ive read and come to understand is that they can handle 5c

maybe ill try setting the current limit to 40 amps and see of regen works, looks like my peak amps were 40.1 or so on my ride home today

Back