• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum.
    Please see: Funding drive thread

Decent Beach Cruiser?

Phoebus

100 W
Has anyone built up a good beach cruiser? I'm assuming the bike would need some kind of hand operated brakes and rear derailleur... My motor prefers 135mm dropouts (BMC geared hub), don't figure that would rule out many / any of these bikes... I'm just looking for someone's beach cruiser build which I can more or less copy.

I don't think that I'll go much over 1500W - may even stick right at 1000W. Think I'd be able to squeek by without a torque arm at those levels?

Thanks! :)

I like what nonlineartom (search user) did with a Schwinn Panther:

There's more pics someplace but here's a recent thread that is sorta on your topic:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36936

There's actually quite a fondness for Beach ecruisers including some very serious sand stuff too. Keep looking and digging into threads....

I Like this one. Lots of room in the steel frame.
http://www.2wheelbikes.com/rover-7sp-m-beach-cruiser.html

Not sure if you want a steel or aluminium frame, if youré into alli, the Giant Simples are solid and great to ride.
I have one as a pedaler, no motor and love riding it.
Cheers,

There are cruisers with a 7 speed derailur and v brakes. That would my choice if I did another.

I found one with 5 speed and calipers, it stops poorly and has a narrow rear drop. Since they come with strong forks, nothing wrong with a front hub cruiser.

Might be of interest?
http://www.voltagecycles.com/gallery/

Wow, those Voltage cycles are seriously impressive! Unfortunately, at $3,500 for the base model, or $2,500 for frame only, it's a bit too pricey for me.

I spent some time today looking at the beach cruisers available in my area - they are quite popular, it turns out. There's a nice selection of vintage cruisers which I could mount a front motor on very easily. They look fantastic and are all very reasonably priced.

The Schwinn Panther, built up in not one but two other threads, is a 7-speed and pretty much ready to go for a proper rear wheel conversion as well. I may have to opt for the Panther, also quite cheap, and throw the batteries in a front basket.

It's nice to have options for a change :)

I've not yet done anything without a torque arm... given that we're dealing with steel frames here, how many watts do you think I can put through the rear motor, no torque arm, and remain safe? Would love to just cruise around at 1500 on a BMC V4S or T.

Phoebus said:
I've not yet done anything without a torque arm... given that we're dealing with steel frames here, how many watts do you think I can put through the rear motor, no torque arm, and remain safe? Would love to just cruise around at 1500 on a BMC V4S or T.
Why would you not use a torque arm? To save $25? Or is there some other reason I'm missing? :mrgreen:

I've only used custom fabricated torque arms on my mountain bikes... too much effort for a beach cruiser. I feel like the non-custom fabricated ones, that are held on just with steel straps, might not work that well anyways?

This isn't your traditional beach cruiser but it definitely fits right at home at the beach!
Get's more compliments and thumbs-up than traditional beach cruisers too,
and allows the rider a nice and comfortable up-right sitting position.
This is a chopper ebike that I'm almost finished building for my brother.

HeatherPic.jpg

That's a BMC V2-t (torque) motor in that back wheel
- 12s LiPo (44.4v) battery pack and 50A controller both mounted to the bottom tube
- (so technically 45v x 50A = 2000+watts and no need for torque arms thanks to full chromoly steel frame)
- 7-speed gears on the freewheel with Shimano Altus rear derailer and Twist-Grip shifter on the right handle bar
- Stops well using large 8-inch (203mm) Avid BB-7 disc brakes on the rear

Torque washers are good for up to about 1000w, but the deal is not whether the frame is steel or not so much as having the washers lay flat and perfect. Properly torqued, the nut can hold quite a bit, as you see in Justins fork tests.

I'd say get a torque arm for the front hub for sure. For the rear, Justin has a new design that looks good, or the amped bikes one should do. Just one, on the non gear side should be ok.

That's my bike. It's an Electra Cruiser.
Stock frame here: http://www.electrabike.com/Bikes/cruiser-cruiser-bikes-ladies-114176

There are a few different types of Electra Cruisers. Mine is steal, frame and fork. My wife's is aluminum frame, steal fork I believe (they don't make her exact model anymore, so I can't look it up and can't remember offhand).

The rear dropouts are seriously hefty, and I think could take a pretty good sized motor (although mine is in the 500-750w range). Most of their frames can't take disk brakes though, so that means you don't want to get crazy speeds. But really, beach cruisers aren't built for speed anyways, the center of balance is too high. 20 mph is fine, but beach cruisers really aren't meant for more speed than that.

Electras also have the pedals sitting slightly more forward, which brings you to a more upright posture. Combine that with the cruiser style handlebars and it's super comfy. I have a shoulder that likes to randomly dislocate if I put too much weight on it, so frames that require leaning forward are not a good idea for me. This setup was perfect for me.

They are really solid frames. Quite a few folks have even modified them into xtracycles. One other bonus is that they are getting to be pretty popular, so you can usually find a bike dealer nearby that has a few you can test ride.

I think I got my frame for somewhere around $250-$300? It was very base though, just a base 7 speed frame. I swapped out the brake levers for wuxing, added fenders, rear rack, basket, and of course a motor. In the end I spent way more money on the "stuff" to stick on the frame. My wife and I have put several hundred miles on our electras, and would recommend them any day to someone looking for a beach cruiser style frame.

I see lots of bikes now with the fork tubes going all the way up to the headstem - motorcycle style. Like in the stiletto photo above.

Are they an off the shelf part or do you have to fabricate your own?

I dreamed of using this
SLATER_2011_USA_SMALL.jpg
as a platform instead of
A blank canvas.JPG
But that's a $600+ bill I didnt have.
My Miyata was $60 off C-list.
+ offered space for a 16s long 5p wide Cell_Man pack
7.5cm finished between your legs. :oops:

The Felt would have had to use Lipo or a Cell_Man triangle pack perhaps.
It was unlikely to be 135mm drop though.
Could I use a Front drum brake on the Monarch fork?
I assume attaching the brakes torque arm to the outer right fork would be ok?
Just a thought.

Sacman said:
This isn't your traditional beach cruiser but it definitely fits right at home at the beach!
Get's more compliments and thumbs-up than traditional beach cruisers too,
and allows the rider a nice and comfortable up-right sitting position.
This is a chopper ebike that I'm almost finished building for my brother.

HeatherPic.jpg

That's a BMC V2-t (torque) motor in that back wheel
- 12s LiPo (44.4v) battery pack and 50A controller both mounted to the bottom tube
- (so technically 45v x 50A = 2000+watts and no need for torque arms thanks to full chromoly steel frame)
- 7-speed gears on the freewheel with Shimano Altus rear derailer and Twist-Grip shifter on the right handle bar
- Stops well using large 8-inch (203mm) Avid BB-7 disc brakes on the rear

I just wanted to bump that pic.
Damn she's cute. :wink:
Nice conversion as well.

Thanks Oakwright - good comment about pedal placement! I hadn't thought of this...

Blueshift said:
Sacman said:

Sweet bike man. Is the chain guard shaped like a tailpipe?
I like the fat rear fender too.

Thanks man! It is one of the nicer ebike builds I have done and also enjoyable experience too. It definitely deserves it's own build thread which hopefully I'll put up soon.

Yes that tailpipe-looking chain guard and fat rear fender with the French swirl graphics are my brother's two favorite designs features of the bike too. I do kind of wished the faux gas tank were a bit bigger so I could hide more batteries in there. :mrgreen:

Sacman said:
Blueshift said:
Sacman said:

Sweet bike man. Is the chain guard shaped like a tailpipe?
I like the fat rear fender too.

Thanks man! It is one of the nicer ebike builds I have done and also enjoyable experience too. It definitely deserves it's own build thread which hopefully I'll put up soon.

Yes that tailpipe-looking chain guard and fat rear fender with the French swirl graphics are my brother's two favorite designs features of the bike too. I do kind of wished the faux gas tank were a bit bigger so I could hide more batteries in there. :mrgreen:

Your next project.
Building a bigger battery tank.
Fit a Moto front end. it goes on. :wink:
Very clean as is.
Nice beach cruiser.

Paid a visit to the modebikes.net physical location in Costa Mesa yesterday. The owner is super friendly, had two ebikes on disay, and his cruisers are pretty cool.

tumblr_lrt1eoXNqb1qdjd03.jpg

Yep, front drum and rear electric internal brake. His stuff is pricey but awesome.

Back