Design for high powered freewheel sprocket for e-bikes

orange streak said:
Then a nice sprocket, 13 teeth + chain guide will need to be fitted on my small chain tensioner arm. Its thick aluminum, so I hope not to bend it.
I'm buying the high quality thread on freewheel, & go to test it out.

You want the excess 13 tooth freewheel. Do not very the Odyssey unit. They are terrible.

orange streak said:
Any body know how to reduce a 1:1 ratio 60mph to 40mph gear ratio?
Easy enough for you to calculate. What's the ratio between the speeds you're after? ;)

orange streak said:
Nobody shared thier insight on the difference between regen vs freewheeling, & how it affects range?

Justin from Grin did tests and published the results showing that on his typically hilly Vancouver route, regen gives a net increase in range. On flatter terrain with relatively few stops, the ability to coast freely will have a greater benefit in terms of range. For your own application, you have to assess for yourself how much braking you do, and whether being able to recover 1/4 of that braking energy will help more than being able to coast out.

Generally speaking, more hills or more speed will increase the potential of regen braking.

There are mechanical ramifications of regen that might serve to break a tie. Regen means more potential to loosen axle nuts, spin axles, and otherwise break stuff.

Chalo said:
orange streak said:
Nobody shared thier insight on the difference between regen vs freewheeling, & how it affects range?

Justin from Grin did tests and published the results showing that on his typically hilly Vancouver route, regen gives a net increase in range. On flatter terrain with relatively few stops, the ability to coast freely will have a greater benefit in terms of range. For your own application, you have to assess for yourself how much braking you do, and whether being able to recover 1/4 of that braking energy will help more than being able to coast out.

Generally speaking, more hills or more speed will increase the potential of regen braking.

There are mechanical ramifications of regen that might serve to break a tie. Regen means more potential to loosen axle nuts, spin axles, and otherwise break stuff.

Thanks for input, I knew I was headed in the right direction after all. Racing seems to be a great implement of regen braking. In fact I'm going to do something a little crazy instead and put one of these on a moded front fork, or something similar. There when i need it, & needed with more speed & weight that my rig carries around.

Back