Discrepancy between CycleAnalyst and Satiator

My cycleanalyst says that I've used 26 ah during a ride, while my satiator only says 16 ah after charging. What gives here? I'm inclined to believe my analyst, but both are from the same manufacturer. This is charging to 97v , and discharging to 87v , which consistently shows around 26 ah and 2400 wh.

It could be that the shunt value is wrong in the CA, I'm inclined to believe that the charger is correct.

You could connect a Wattmeter to the AC side of the charger.

Also you could monitor for how long it is charging with Constant Current, and multiply the hours times the Charging Current, to get an estimate.

I also have the Satiator and the Cycle Analyst 3 and am getting similar discrepancies-- could it be that the Satiator calculation is based on a 100% charge? (I mostly just charge my 48V 21Ah battery to 80% to improve it's life)

Warekiwi said:
I also have the Satiator and the Cycle Analyst 3 and am getting similar discrepancies-- could it be that the Satiator calculation is based on a 100% charge? (I mostly just charge my 48V 21Ah battery to 80% to improve it's life)

Like I said above you will have to use a Wattmeter on the AC side to make sure. A Wattmeter like this one should do the trick.

https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525383623&sr=8-1&keywords=wattmeter

eee291 said:
It could be that the shunt value is wrong in the CA, I'm inclined to believe that the charger is correct.

You could connect a Wattmeter to the AC side of the charger.

Also you could monitor for how long it is charging with Constant Current, and multiply the hours times the Charging Current, to get an estimate.

Okay, thanks! I'll have to look into this. And, you're right, the charger is more likely to be correct.

The only discrepancies Ive had between Satiator and Analyst are very small, and only when I charge thru the Analysts shunt; AFAICT the extra resistance of that shunt affects the reading of the Satiator. I think theres a way to fix that in the Satiators settings, but I havent tested that.

With the huge discrepancy youre seeing, its much more likely that you have a wrong shunt resistance setting in the Analyst setup.

The seller of the controller would have that information. Or maybe it's listed in their ad?

Please download the CA3 [strike]Un[/strike]official Guide and take a look at "Appendix A. Calibrating the Cycle Analyst RShunt Value". There are several means there of calibrating your CA to the controller shunt. This is written for the CA3 but is equally applicable to the CA2.

Here you can plug your Satiator values into the calibration equation instead of using a DMM and you will get an RShunt setting that will make the CA match the Satiator.

teklektik said:
Please download the CA3 [strike]Un[/strike]official Guide and take a look at "Appendix A. Calibrating the Cycle Analyst RShunt Value". There are several means there of calibrating your CA to the controller shunt. This is written for the CA3 but is equally applicable to the CA2.

Here you can plug your Satiator values into the calibration equation instead of using a DMM and you will get an RShunt setting that will make the CA match the Satiator.

Oh, dude, awesome. Hell yeah, thanks for this :D

Back