Doc got POWER!!!

Doctorbass

100 GW
Let the "dream" come true :lol:

Yes.. Officially, 29 june 2010 22h43pm quebec city,

DOC GOT LIPO !!

I rassembled a couples of "already bought" stuff with that together to make a good looking package of POWER :twisted:

-Bought 13 zippy 6s 5000mAh ( one spare included)
-4 x 6s charger balancer
-5x MKS propo now known as "Battery medic"
- 9x celllog8 ( 4 with usb 5 not)
-12, 10 and 8 gauge 200celsius silicone wire ( total 50 ft)
-20x SB50 anderson connector
-200x red and black powerpole 30A connectors ( will have enough for this entire year!!)

The Giant will get POWER SOON!!! :mrgreen:

Doc

Attachments

• CAM_0159_800x600.jpg
    CAM_0159_800x600.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 4,113
Your using aTurnigy to charge or is that just to balance all the packs Doc? You of all people i thought would be taking advantage of the higher C rate and bulk charging in the time it takes to make a cuppa haha...You will LOVE the lipo doc ;)

KiM

slayer said:
Doc, i am just curious to know how much does that cost in total to your door?

To my door, all the 13 battery costed me 730$ usd for 1.33kWh of Lipo 88V 15Ah 300A max

Doc

AussieJester said:
Your using aTurnigy to charge or is that just to balance all the packs Doc? You of all people i thought would be taking advantage of the higher C rate and bulk charging in the time it takes to make a cuppa haha...You will LOVE the lipo doc ;)

KiM

Ah.. great question!.. Yes i will bulk charging. I will use my 1650W DC output charger as well !

I will split all packs into two big packs of 44.4Vdc 15Ah to make same as with my mongoose and will charge in parallel and discharge in serie using contactors.

During the charge that will be 30Ah 44.4V nom ( 50.4V full) that i will charge at up to 37A DC so the pack should be full in around 1 hour! :mrgreen: charging at close to 1C

The turnigy 24s charger is just to balance the pack at the end of the charge for the last 10% but i will protect them against overcharge using the celllog alarm that will throttle the current of the charger by acting on the inhibit input of the charger or something else...

Teh only cons of these lipo is that i will need to keep an eyes on them while charging and at the end of the process... with the konion.. it's like a charm!.. no bothering with that!!

Doc

Doctorbass said:
I will split all packs into two big packs of 44.4Vdc 15Ah to make same as with my mongoose and will charge in parallel and discharge in serie using contactors.
Hi Doc, always a great feeling seeing a new post from you detailing a new battery experience!!! :mrgreen: :twisted: 8)

Wow! :shock:

Ok, please post in detail how you do this wiring, soldering, contactor, fuse, parallel, series, connection mods! :mrgreen: :twisted: :?:

I'm building the same battery size as you are, 44.4v 15ah, but I'm using 4s packs instead of your 6s size. I need all the help I can get from an expert such as you are! :twisted:

:mrgreen:

Looking good doc, can't wait to see the finished wiring, and the performance data! :twisted:

Doctorbass said:
AussieJester said:

KiM

Ah.. great question!.. Yes i will bulk charging. I will use my 1650W DC output charger as well !

During the charge that will be 30Ah 44.4V nom ( 50.4V full) that i will charge at up to 37A DC so the pack should be full in around 1 hour! :mrgreen: charging at close to 1C

The turnigy 24s charger is just to balance the pack at the end of the charge for the last 10% but i will protect them against overcharge using the celllog alarm that will throttle the current of the charger by acting on the inhibit input of the charger or something else...

Teh only cons of these lipo is that i will need to keep an eyes on them while charging and at the end of the process... with the konion.. it's like a charm!.. no bothering with that!!

Doc
Congradulations Doc!!!
As Aussie said: you`r gonna love it :D

some thoughts:
Gary told that he was unable to use Cellogs as HVC monitor with throttling control because of hysteresis. So they are good only for LVC cutoff.

To my mind it`s not good idea to use this charger for balancing as you will be able to balance lipo to 4.1volts (difficult to catch this voltage while bulk charging and much slower balancing) or 4.2 volts (not very good for LiPo lifecycle)
so for balancing it`ll be much better to use Battery Medics(maybe boosted with Garry`s BM Booster for faster balance of 15ah pack)
or you can modify your 4Xcharger to lower balance voltage ex.4.15-4.16v (i`m not sure how to do that but i believe you can figure that out)

btw - can you test this charger and finally tell ES community IS IT ISOLATED or NOT?

And Good Luck with your new batteries!!!

Nice :D

Sooo much to play with DOC...you will love those batteries for sure, I only have 4 25C Turnigys they rock and roll!! going to place an order for 2 more to make a booster pack to run my X5 at 72V 48 is ok on an X5 but 72 is sweet 8)

Yes I havent managed to see if i can change the end voltage on my charger either, I think I may be able to do it in balance mode, the manual is terrible better to play and see what goes, my charger isnt isolated for what is worth not sure about the others I am sure they follow a similar design.

Good luck with the build DOC cant wait to see how it turns out.

Knoxie

Hi to all, crazy guys. :D
I think that this battery packs are nice choice with perfect performance\price.
I bought these packs too. 20 ones I ordered now, and have plan to buy another something (10..16).
Unfortunately, this pack is backordered now. :(

Good luck with packs!

Андрюха, как придут мои, покажем мощу двух киловатт батареек нашим чумным коллегам!

FAS said:
Hi to all, crazy guys. :D
I think that this battery packs are nice choice with perfect performance\price.
I bought these packs too. 20 ones I ordered now, and have plan to buy another something (10..16).
Unfortunately, this pack is backordered now. :(

Good luck with packs!

Андрюха, как придут мои, покажем мощу двух киловатт батареек нашим чумным коллегам!

Thanks FAS!

BTW is it you that wrote this Russian page on my ebike speed record? :mrgreen:

http://epowerbikes.ru/archives/1498

andreym said:
btw - can you test this charger and finally tell ES community IS IT ISOLATED or NOT

I still did not tested with battery connected.. BUT I measured the ohm between every output and it's .... INFINITE !!! :wink: so i guess they are insulated... also Luke confirmed this to me in the past

Doc

andreym said:
Doctorbass said:
AussieJester said:

KiM

Doc
Congradulations Doc!!!
As Aussie said: you`r gonna love it :D

some thoughts:
Gary told that he was unable to use Cellogs as HVC monitor with throttling control because of hysteresis. So they are good only for LVC cutoff.

To my mind it`s not good idea to use this charger for balancing as you will be able to balance lipo to 4.1volts (difficult to catch this voltage while bulk charging and much slower balancing) or 4.2 volts (not very good for LiPo lifecycle)
so for balancing it`ll be much better to use Battery Medics(maybe boosted with Garry`s BM Booster for faster balance of 15ah pack)
or you can modify your 4Xcharger to lower balance voltage ex.4.15-4.16v (i`m not sure how to do that but i believe you can figure that out)

Ah.. no problem or the final balancing/charge stage.. I will instead use my 20A CC CV active 12s balancer!!! ( one of my first project i did here.. a big 1000W charger that individually charge up to 12s.. it is using the modified BXB150 Artesyn Dc-dc converters!!!

evb said:
Doctorbass said:
BTW is it you that wrote this Russian page on my ebike speed record? :mrgreen:
http://epowerbikes.ru/archives/1498
It's me, special for russian-speaking guys, may be they will decide to beat your record :wink:

Ah thanks for the pub... :wink:

i plan doing 130kmh this summer.. and alsi will attempt a 1/4 mile record for an ebike... i will try to get into the 17sec or maybe 16... :mrgreen: with a secret weapon! :mrgreen:

Doc

Doctorbass said:
i plan doing 130kmh this summer.. and alsi will attempt a 1/4 mile record for an ebike... i will try to get into the 17sec or maybe 16... :mrgreen: with a secret weapon! :mrgreen:
Doc
Incredible speed !!!
Is 5302 will be a secret weapon ?

ps sorry for my bad english.

CamLight said:
I see ultracaps in your future. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Like these?

Each blue blob is 58F, 15V, 12 milliohms ESR (1000 amps short circuit current). Each one holds 6500 watt-seconds. Runs a 10 horse motor for a second or so... They weigh less than a pound. There were a dozen modules series connected in each bank. Apparently when a cap broke, they just replaced the whole bank. The problem was always a tab weld that came loose from one of the six series connected 350F 2.5V cells in each module.

I wonder what happens if you charge them up and the short them out with a screwdriver? It's is only 1/8 megawatt after all... :twisted:

I'm thinking you'd be wondering: "what screwdriver?", as you stare at the cauterized stump of your wrist, after the arc's UV has penetrated your 50,000SPF sunblock and removed the top millimeter of all the skin that was facing it. :lol:

texaspyro said:
Each blue blob is 58F, 15V, 12 milliohms ESR (1000 amps short circuit current). Each one holds 6500 watt-seconds. Runs a 10 horse motor for a second or so... They weigh less than a pound.

Similar power density, much less voltage drop, and ~14x the energy density with these little buggers. :)
Each cell is <1mOhm

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11956&Product_Name=Turnigy_nano-tech_5000mah_3S_45~90C_Lipo_Pack

liveforphysics said:
texaspyro said:
Each blue blob is 58F, 15V, 12 milliohms ESR (1000 amps short circuit current). Each one holds 6500 watt-seconds. Runs a 10 horse motor for a second or so... They weigh less than a pound.

Similar power density, much less voltage drop, and ~14x the energy density with these little buggers. :)
Each cell is <1mOhm

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11956&Product_Name=Turnigy_nano-tech_5000mah_3S_45~90C_Lipo_Pack

I've often been surprised about the excitement surrounding ultracaps/supercaps for exactly that reason. For most EV applications, power density has not been holding back EVs with lithium batteries. Energy density is where the gulf between secondary battery tech and liquid fuels is still massive.

PS Nice lipo setup choices DOC! I'm also enjoying using Flightmax, Celllog & batterymedic together :D

texaspyro said:
I wonder what happens if you charge them up and the short them out with a screwdriver? It's is only 1/8 megawatt after all... :twisted:

Now we know... :shock:

View attachment fire pillar.jpg

And indeed, that's me... and no photoshopping was involved.

Ultracaps are now and forever will be useless as a primary power source. Each of those modules holds a whopping 2 watt-hours. Granted, it can release it a few milliseconds. And can be cycled zillions of times. And can't be overcharged.

The fire pillar looks like an EV with 6000 Cells gone into thermal runnaway.

Back