E-bikes are arguably worse than electric cars

A car is a horrible, inexcusable waste of all the resources in it and those used to fuel, maintain, store, and protect it. It not only squanders those resources, it maims and kills people, sickens people and biological systems, ruins the urban environment, deranges land use patterns, and promotes alienation and antisocial behavior habits. There is no single ingredient in a car that wouldn't be better used elsewhere.
I've never seen a statement with so much wrong in it.

I've never seen a statement with so much wrong in it.
If a dinner plate were as unfit for its primary job as a car is, it would cost a week's wages. It would be too heavy to lift. And it would poison your food.

. . . which sorta makes them the opposite of toys, no?
Toys are for fun.
Then, we can have better fun in the daily tasks if they can be done with a toy.

My bike is not a commuter. It is a fun toy to tackle the motorcycles of my neighborhood, jump with the kids in mountain trails and parks…
Yet I was commuting with it when I was working, despite the compromises. Toys have a cost in comfort, risk, maintenance… yet so fast and fun in city commuting.

We laugh at cars. They are dinosaurs, and people driving them in the city are as funny stupid as the Flintstones, with new episodes every day. 🤣

I know a hundred riders who can make you piss laughing with anecdotes.

Why these electric cargo bikes are 10x faster than delivery vans in a city

Why these electric cargo bikes are 10x faster than delivery vans in a city

handyman-ebikes-1.jpg

Last edited:
Pumkins and Oranges.

Ebikes are toys. We ride for the fun and lifestyle. If we commute with our bike, it is for more fun, cheaper cost, shorter travel…

Batteries can last, or burned by stupidity, or abused for performance. Depends the chemistry, size, management…
On the bike I replace them around 300 cycles, then someone else rides them another 2 seasons. (High C-rate RC lipo).
On the scooter, the battery is 4 yrs old and hadn’t lost much capacity. (21700 LG cells)
On the stand-up scooter, I think they’re gonna last a decade. 😁
I haven't owned a car in years. About once a month I'll rent a car. Just under half my friends don't own cars. The main impetus for the switch has been ebikes including myself. 😄

Grand eh? and cycles are immune from speeding tickets in the UK too cycle (under your own power) over the speed limits with impunity, however charges for reckless ridding etc are not off the table so speed 'safely' and carry on ;)

3rd party and legal cover insurance is available to many through organised groups and clubs either free or for a nominal charge and more comprehensive cycle insurance is available as a home policy bolt on and as a stand alone product too. annual premiums are circa 7-10% of the sum insured. most folk with a home policy with a valuable ebike will have it insured, teens and those starting out less so..

Last edited:

Mikegy - You would be one of the bigger cities in North America which isnt uncommon for adults to not get a license until 30yrs or older. Since you put the fact many of your friends also dont drive means its by choice, not so much a cost factor and many people think newer is better, thats why they go into debt. It is costly to own even a $500 junker vehicle if your so lucky to get a fuel efficient 1.6L, lots of heavy v6 v8 junkers ;) , I like the car-share programs where you can rent by the hourfor the times you need it for longer then look for rent a car deals on their website and travel websites.​

Grand eh? and cycles are immune from speeding tickets in the UK too cycle (under your own power) over the speed limits with impunity, however charges for reckless ridding etc are not off the table so speed 'safely' and carry on ;)

3rd party and legal cover insurance is available to many through organised groups and clubs either free or for a nominal charge and more comprehensive cycle insurance is available as a home policy bolt on and as a stand alone product too.
annual premiums are circa 7-10% of the sum insured.

most folk with a home policy with a valuable ebike will have it insured, teens resource and those starting out less so..

I use both types of transportation and often see bicycles or scooters speeding without following the rules and creating danger, primarily to themselves. I think they need stricter rules and a strict speed limit.

Last edited:
I use both types of transportation and often see bicycles or scooters speeding without following the rules and creating danger, primarily to themselves. I think they need stricter rules and a strict speed limit.
When they start killing people right and left like car drivers do, your opinion might gain some merit. But not until then.

ebike is more slow than the cars
Another first and only post, hmm.

In a real city with real city traffic and parking concerns, it's very often faster, door to door, to go by e-bike than to go by car.

Another first and only post, hmm.

In a real city with real city traffic and parking concerns, it's very often faster, door to door, to go by e-bike than to go by car.
Short journeys (<2m) maybe !
but in a ”real” city that is pretty restrictive….and doesnt work for most commuting.

but in a ”real” city that is pretty restrictive….and doesnt work for most commuting.
Try 7 miles. In my city that is most often faster on the ebike vs. car, door-to-door. The ebike avoids the choke points, and the parking hassle. During rush hour the car commute is even slower, while the ebike commute is more consistent. Car only wins at like 4am.

Drawback is the ebike is not so pleasant in foul weather. And more risky in an accident.

I've been commuting on my bikes & motorcycle in NYC metro since 2013, 10-12 mi. one way;
takes me about 45-50 min on acoustic bike;
25-30 min on motorcycle/scooter,
35-40 min. on my ebike
50-60 min. in my car,
45-50 min on the subway.
In addition to bike lanes, ebikes and acoustic bike allow me to travel through parks, between car mirrors, etc..

For the 3 miles from my house to my old job it was at least 2x faster (and 2.5x less distance) to take an ebike. I could go straight and not have to confine myself to roads.

I bet your not including time spent locking up and unlocking your bike in public spaces.. I frequently cycle to the supermarket and watch folk load up and disappear as i pack up my panniers item by item and unlock the bike (2 locks), zip goggle and glove up, and finally exit by the footpath to the left ;) .

I bet your not including time spent locking up and unlocking your bike in public spaces.. I frequently cycle to the supermarket and watch folk load up and disappear as i pack up my panniers item by item and unlock the bike (2 locks), zip goggle and glove up, and finally exit by the footpath to the left ;) .

I take my bike indoor, my folding bike & ebike are easy to carry with me.
knxVKyR.jpg

I lock my bike and remove any unsecured bags in probably 20 seconds or so, and reverse the process about as quickly. Usually there's no zipping or gloving involved, and my glasses stay on throughout.

I guess it helps to live where the weather is mostly cooperative (as long as your skin is radiation hardened).

I lock my bike and remove any unsecured bags in probably 20 seconds or so, and reverse the process about as quickly. Usually there's no zipping or gloving involved, and my glasses stay on throughout.

I guess it helps to live where the weather is mostly cooperative (as long as your skin is radiation hardened).
I can probably pat down a couple of pockets in an initial key search in 20 seconds, little else. But i have never seen a bill board with jesus on it locally :) ...................

I bet your not including time spent locking up and unlocking your bike in public spaces.
You lost the bet. I certainly did include time spent locking up and unlocking my bike in public spaces. Ebike wins against car all the time.

Some reasons: Usually can park the bike very near the destination, far less distance to walk than from parked car. Car often must circle around the block or further, one or more times, to find a parking spot. In a dedicated parking lot, often must wind thru the lot to find a vacant space, sometimes getting stopped behind one or more other motorists waiting for someone to exit their space. Other lots require multiple laps to reach a floor level that has a vacancy. Some lots have long lines to enter or exit, especially when there's a payment/ticket involved. And, as mentioned above, some places allow me to bring the bike inside. The only ones that do that with a motor vehicle are the tweakers that ram a stolen car thru the storefront to break in and steal cigs at 4am.

Yikes !! location sure helps a lot.. if i need to go into the city for anything i have the option to walk, take a bus, drive or cycle. given the above driving scenario i wouldn't drive.. and all i have to deal with is some delays on slow roads and a oneway system thats changed a couple of times since i was last a victim of it.

Its an hour or so walk, so often i take the bus to make an appt but walk back if the weather isnt foul. Bike thieves are aplenty but in a mostly flat university city famous for its cycles thats kinda tradition by now.. tho back in the day when you would 'borrow' a bike to get home from the pub after a lock in at 3am the owner could recover it from plod within a few days.. Now? well its an industry and bikes go by the truckload, a single lock is no deterrent. Multiple locks and an awkward to reach position and parking closer to much nicer and valuable cycles is a must.. While bikes and ebikes have plenty of advantages, security and the time it takes to properly secure a cycle in a high risk area is not one.

Back