E.M.X

A 404 in a 20" wheel at 48v -- are you really planning to ride 50+ kph on that bike?

Hey

Another one!! ha ha nice! yes the brakes will be the weak point, my BMX doesnt stop very well! ha ha, hmm I dont do more than 25mph on it for that reason unless testing.

The BMX is a great platform, total fun, no peddling, they handle very well as they are a short wheelbase and nice and low, Its certainly the most fun ride I have in the stable of bikes here and that includes the KMX so its got stiff competition.

Keep us posted on the bikes progress, pop the batteries on a rear beam rack like my bike, job done, its one sure fire way to get noticed I tell you! just watch for that front wheel on the loose stuff, they spin so easily.

Looking forward to some video and more pictures.

Cheers

Knoxie

xyster said:
A 404 in a 20" wheel at 48v -- are you really planning to ride 50+ kph on that bike?

I plan to try all sorts of things on this bike, including dual motors.

Yes, it will be high-speed, but i will be able to compare it to the dual speeds and the X5's..

Knox : yeah, the bmx is looking sweet, nice flat dropouts, low to the gruond, light, i'm surprised there are so few around !

I got the controller mounted, throttle, and she's ready to go !

Hi

Yes they are a great platform for a cheap fun e-bike for sure, mine gets used all the time running errands in to town and just having fun in the park, its nice to rest your legs once in a while as I do a lot of normal cycling (I dont own a car) so all my commuting is done on e-bikes.

Yes please post up some more pictures and video when you get it done, I have only seen 1 x more electric BMX that had a hub motor a few months after i made the first video of mine, he was using an xlyte and even had his batteries in a ruck sack! ha ha, nice.

Maybe we will start a trend here, if all the little emo kids started riding them we would be off!! ha ha, those kids don't bother with brakes at all do they! a BMX with brakes? whatever next! ha ha.

Yes please post some follow up pictures, I haven't built a new e-bike for about a year so getting withdrawal symptom's! ha ha.

Cheers

Knoxie

Just wondering if there is a reason you chose to use a front Hub motor versus a Rear motor. I want to build a BMX as well, but I was thinking of using a rear hub motor. I figure a rear motor will give you less wheel spin and better handling. I notice all the BMX bike builders however seem to be using front motors, so I'm wondering what you experienced builders know that I obviously don't.

Jer

Front dropouts on a BMX are generally thick and strong... :D reason no 1

I have a pile of front motors on hand, with spare covers for rear conversions, no reason it can't go rear, but for the time being it's going in the front for testing, and i think a bit of front wheelspin in the soft stuff might just be a bit o fun !!! :twisted:

Wow, that was quick. I've been looking forward to this bike since your recent poll about which to choose for a dual motor setup.
That thing looks light!!! I can't wait for the dual motor test results! :twisted:

Told You :lol:

Great arent they! now you wouldnt want to do more than 20 miles on it but they are a lot of fun just around the town, if ya can get some video of it in action!! I want to see :)

Cheers

P

I can't imagine going 20 miles on it as is... i'm going to fit a suspension seat post or something to it eventually. and possibly a disk brake front fork if possible.. ( not on this frame, but my next one !! .. yes.;. there will be a next one !! EMX-2 :p )

I took it off-road and it holds up well.. it's a rough ride but solid, the 404 is made for a 16" wheel, but i want to try it at 48v 40 amps for fun ... then swap back to a slower motor for the dualie setup ! :wink:

i'm going to fit a suspension seat post or something to it eventually.

I highly recommend the Cane Creek Thudbuster.

me 2

They are awesome seat posts, a little expensive but simply transform the ride, the best bolt on thing I have ever bought for any bike ever!

Knoxie

I too would recommend the Thudbuster. Check out ebay for possible deals.

Are you going to try a 406 on the front?

Selfish interest :oops: on my part , or can you extrapolate from the 404?

That would be great Y :D

Since, I already have a 36V battery pack I would be interested in how that compares to 48V if I understand your intentions.

Did you comment somewhere that it is possible to convert a front hub to a rear by changing the side cover, or did I misunderstand?

Ypedal said:
The 404 was a bad choice for a BMX, too fast at 36v in a 20" rim.

In a 16" rim it would be great, but i want to run 48v x 40 amps and a 405 or a 406 would be better .

I like a bit of grunt off the line ! :p

The 406 can be next if you like ! :wink:

i'm wanting you to try a 406 too - but two of them;)

My Giant currently has a 407 in the front and a 408/4012 in the rear, my single cell LiFe chargers crossed the border last night according to the tracking info.. should arrive hopefully by friday this week ! :wink:

The BMX with dual 406's might work well with dual 40 amp controllers at 48v.

Back