E-S Phasor Electric Bike Owners

Rix said:
Insider, your new frame looks super trick with the carbon fiber panels. What do you plan on using for a hub motor? Are those the 4s 8400mAH packs from Hobbyking? Looks like a perfect fit 8)

Rick

Rick, thanks! I'm going to use rear MAC1000W 8T in a 26'' wheel.

Yes, those battaries are 8400mAH 4sp2 from HK. I'm going to use 12 such battaries to have ~1,33kWh

Insider, thats a total of 48 cells, your options would be: 48s1p :shock: :!: 24s2P, 16s3p, or 12s4p. I guess you could run a 20s 2P setup with a couple of banks left over. Now nobody has ever accused me of being a genious, only a smart ass, but I am betting its safe say that the 48s1p is not your set up, that would be over 175 volts hot off the charger with the Lifepo4 wired in series:? So what will your setup be? :mrgreen:

Insider, that will be a great commuting machine :D . Can't wait to see the final build 8) .

Rick

Rix said:
Insider, that will be a great commuting machine :D . Can't wait to see the final build 8) .

Rick

Thanks! Me too :D

I still can't get ALL the battaries I bought at HK and some parts of my bike that I bought at Chainreactioncycles are missing too.

EMS-Russian Post and Russian Customs should burn in hell!!! :evil:
(that's why I decided to use TNT-Express services to ship the frame to Moscow)

pendragon8000, my roundtrip to work is about 45km. So I expect (according to the graphic below) to have about 50km range at ful throttle with no peddaling. But I like to peddal. :D

Скорость-Мощность-Потребление.png

Remember Rod, there is a method to Methods care packages. This is how it goes, get package/s, smile, open packages up, smile bigger, take pics and post on here, then, add said packages to your Phasor and smile real big. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Cant wait to see it mounted and your ride report.

Rick

Hello all,

Some interesting builds happening here, great to see the diversity in what everyone comes up with. More in the works coming soon. I have heard some of your feedback, I will now include an allen stub that can be chucked up into a drill so the panels can be removed quickly. Using this method I can easily get the panels off in about 20 seconds.

2013-04-08_11-53-05_370_zpsd2d37ca3.jpg

I will also include a couple other allen keys for the other included hardware, swingarm pivot bolt, shock bolts and the axle retainers. For the shock bolts, I run an 8mm reamer through the tabs after powdercoating, so the bolt should fit through. The sharp edges on the shoulder bolt make it tricky sometimes, I will now just ship the frames with these bolts pre installed to make sure they will fit easily.

The plastic panels do pleat a little between the fasteners, especially if sitting in the sun for a bit and they expand. The aluminum ones fit much better, and would be better if you want to have some sort of seal there.

I have a new Phasor bike in the works, experimenting with a BMC V4S, with some modifications to overcome some of the weaknesses when these motors are pushed to the limits...something I know a little bit about..

The BMC graveyard. (there's a new one in there too for comparison.) When my bike eats BMC motors, it prefers them lightly toasted.

2013-04-03_16-43-01_634_zpsce5843be.jpg

Despite the shortcomings, I like these motors for their lightweight, freewheeling, and good torque. If used within the intended design parameters, they last a long time.

The V4S I am currently using is filled ~ 1/3 with oil, the temperature is measured with a thermistor in the motor. The sensor is immersed in the oil whether spinning or stationary. The Cycle Analyst V3 will back off the power to keep the temp within a safe range.

IMG_13051_zpsc1f96ede.jpg

74V 15Ah battery, 50A controller. ~10AWG wires from controller to windings. I was thinking of doing steel gears and dual keyways, but the one way bearing in the clutch will end up as the weak link, and it is much cheaper to replace a sheared keyway. RockShox suspension. Anodized black aluminum panels. (although not in the picture below) 11-30t 7 speed with 40t sprocket.

IMG_15021_zpsa862ad49.jpg

Profile Racing cranks - Made in the USA! Uses a heavy duty splined chromoly spindle, and sealed bearings
E-13 bashguard / chainguide - never had a chain come off with this

IMG_15561_zpsb6b73158.jpg

And yes, the frame is designed to have clearance to run your shifter cables / brake line through these openings like this, just make sure they don't chafe. Also, I have found that 1600mm (std) brake line is sufficient, as opposed to the recommended 2000mm. This might not apply if the frame is more full of batteries, if the line has to route around them.

The main power switch, centronics / balance port and charging port are all hidden underneath the seat area. This also made the wiring much easier on the inside, in this application.

IMG_16031_zps004d7669.jpg

IMG_15581_zpsec261db6.jpg

Custom key switch

PhasorKey_zpsa5459e7b.jpg

ebikes.ca dual luminators

IMG_16051_zps91790882.jpg

Keep an eye out for some more interesting Phasor builds coming soon

dpearce, thats looking great, i like the hook worms on the phasor. The lights and front derailer and other details are also nice and tidy.

can you please give us more info/picture of how you mounted the cycle analyst? im a fan of this position and am looking at doing the same on my monster build.
also love the charging port :)

Insider, that graph looks good:
file.php

looks like a typical power usage, thats an awsome amount of range at high speed :) do you think it will get to 50+ kph on flat road? assuming 80% efficiency, looks like 50 is it.

Just finished the controller upgrade. The last panels going on now

EA13FC09-9F7C-44E6-9F77-BA6FB0714BED-437-00000061C0097D91.jpg

00439EB2-B315-4C91-84A2-D81CC98DCCC5-437-00000061B90DEAC1.jpg

New controller needs some adjustment as its top speed is topping out at 73kms per hour.

[youtube]nWF_onZ-cd0[/youtube]

All I need now is a Cromotor to keep Aussie Jester on his toes.

I have installed the software but unable to work out how to open the software.

Enough for today though. The controllers max amps are 35 and still only have a top speed of 72 kms an hour. I have made adjustments to the cycle analyst and are pretty sure that the program need changing. One of Lyens 18 fets.

dpearce said:
The main power switch, centronics / balance port and charging port are all hidden underneath the seat area. This also made the wiring much easier on the inside, in this application.

IMG_16031_zps004d7669.jpg

Nice built. What will happen with the balance port once you get to drive this bike in the dirt? Won't it be covered with nice and slimy mud?

Dpearce, thats a nice collection of smoked stators you got there :shock: Well, at least 2 of them. How is the oil cooling working so far? Seems like I recall reading that the new V4 series (S) (C) (T) geared hubs could handle about 1500-1900 watts continues. With oil cooling are you successfuly running north of these numbers?

Rod, good to see you are up and running again. Can't wait to see your machine with the 4080 and the 23" wheel. You will definately notice more acceleration than the 3580 on the 26"MTB wheel :mrgreen: The aluminum side covers look fantastic in motion.

Rick

questions:
1)how is the 1/3 oil working out?...able to run more amps and/or climb better?

2)that chain tensioner AWESOME!...I am getting a High speed shclumph do you think the chain tensioner will work with a 30t shclumph?

Just installed the 3 speed switch. The bikes going well. Just clocked up 80 Kms an hour and it still had more.

The 6mm bullets are performing well. The housing is still cold and the motors hot

pendragon8000 said:
Did you check the com port in device manager and install the drivers? Pm me if you get no love. Otherwise lyen should help.

I haven't managed to get the software running but with the 3 speed switch installed achieved my top speed so I'm happy.

I don't have a PC and was using my daughters

Rodney64 said:
pendragon8000 said:
Did you check the com port in device manager and install the drivers? Pm me if you get no love. Otherwise lyen should help.

I haven't managed to get the software running but with the 3 speed switch installed achieved my top speed so I'm happy.

I don't have a PC and was using my daughters
all's well that end's well :) nice to see you got some joy there mate.

Rick (Rix) has asked if I thought the below cut and paste would help future Phasor builders and yes it would.

Rix said:
Way to represent Brooklyn style and welcome to the club Longshot. Ex wife is from Brooklyn, coffee is pronounced cuoffee. Lets start with tires. There is a vast seleciton of 24' tires, but 24" tires that can withstand the weight and speed of the Bomber are very limited. For my riding out west, none of 24" tires on the market are capable for the rock infested crap I ride on. So it was only obvious that I looked at moto sized tires/rims. I am going to reach out here and say I have put more research into motorcycle rims and tires for my Bomber than most others, except Stealth themselves. Its easy to lace a moto rim to the Bombers 54xx hub, but its not so easy to mount the tires. Also, when I did my research, part of the criteria was for viable tire/rim sizes, there had to be an abundance of light weight tires (under 7#s or 3KG) available. Only two sizes came through with lots of tires options, 17x1.4" rim and 19x1.4" rim. Lets break down the tire availability for these two sizes. The 19x1.4 is the tire size that lots of motorcycle manufactures use on the front wheel of kids bigwheel motorcross minis. KTM SX 85SR, Honda CRF150R, Kawasaki KX100 use this size rim/tire on the front. There are also several tire manufactures that make different types of tires in this size. These tires can handle a 140-150# 25+HP motocross bikes jumping tripples 100 feet long. Most of these tires load ratings start at 343 pounds and up and speed rated for 82MPH and higher. To stay under my 7# criteria for this size, the majority of available tires are off road Knobbies, however, the Shinko SR241 2.75-19 is a trials tire that comes in at 6.8# and could be the dual purpose option. If you wanted to lace your hubmotor to a motorcyle rim and keep the outer diameter the same at the 24x3.00 Duro Razorback, this is the size you want. Now, when I say that a 19x1.4 motorcycle rim with tire is the same diameter as a 24"MTB Tire, lots of people ask me how this could be. Motorcycle industry measures their tires sizes by the rims outer diameter, minus rim bead height. The bicycle industry measures bicycle tires sizes based on overall diameter of a tire that is 1.75" tall mounted to a rim and inflated. What does this mean? This means that a 24" mountain bike wheel actually has a rim that is 20.5 inch diamter rim, and 26"MTB has a 22.5" diameter rim. A 20"BMX wheel actually has a 16.5" rim. But with the motorcycle industry, the rim is used for the diameter measurement. So a 19"motorcycle rim is only 1.5" smaller in diameter than a 24"MTB Rim. When you factor in the motorcycle tires slightly higher tire profile, the OD ends up being close to the same. So your comment
How do I choose the best 20" rear rim and spokes?
I am assuming you mean a bicycle wheel. As far as the tire availability goes, the 17x1.4" is tops. There are knobbie tires, road tires, trials tires, moped tires that are readily available and can be mounted to this rim. All tires sizes very from 2.5 to 3.0 x 17 or metric 70x100-17 and the rare 80x90-17 can all fit the Bomber. I cant even begin to tell you the amount of tire options you have for this size rim where the weights of the tires stay under my viable criteria of 7 pounds. A couple of tires that I am taking a serious look at are the Shinko SR241 3.00-17 (Shinko also makes the SR244 in this size) and the michelin Gazette M62 3.00-17. Based on obeservations, I think the Shinko will be a true dual purpose 60/40 Off road on road tire and the M62 will be a true 40/60 Off road on road tire, and with that said, the SR244 is probably a true 50/50 tire. I was running the 19x1.4, but next week will be lacing and running the 17x1.4" when my spokes arrive from the cutter. BTW, I am the guy that will have the 17" on the 5404 and will post a ride report next weekend with either the M62 or SR241 listed above. Haven't decided which tire to try first.

Rodney64 said:
My 11 year old loves the Phasor and always comes back with the grin. :D
But now he wants his own one. :cry:
Vid below of my sons ride.

Rodney, glad your son loves Ebiking. Summer 2014 when my boy turns 3, I am starting him out on a 24volt Osset electric trials bike. I will also teach him to ride a bicycle as well. But naturally progressing towards a powerful Ebike is the ultimate goal. Looking forward to those years ahead.

Rick

Rod, emailed Gary at Prowheel racing about getting some spoke cut. WIll PM you with his response.

Rick

Back